Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Northhosts down and no reply
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Northhosts down and no reply

xiatianxiatian Member
edited July 2017 in Outages

My VPS hosted in northosts has been down for a day. I have never received any reply from this provider. Has anyone come across this problem?

Comments

• MrPsychoMrPsycho Member
    edited July 2017

Change category to outages
    ... and @NorthHosts

Edit: How long are you waiting for reply?

• @xiatian said:
    My VPS hosted in northosts has been down for a day. I have never received any reply from this provider. Has anyone come across this problem?

Did you turn on your VPS? :P

• @magicvpn said:

@xiatian said:

You seriously by asking this stupid question? Control panel shows service unavailable!

• edited July 2017

Mine's had 100% uptime in the past 30 days, so I'm not currently having any issues - it's probably an issue with the node that you're on.

Also, as far as I know, Jon has another full time job (at VirginMedia from what I remember) & runs NorthHosts in his spare time, so if you're ticket was opened today during UK working hours, he may not have got a chance to get round to answering it.

• @xiatian said:

@magicvpn said:

@xiatian said:

You seriously by asking this stupid question? Control panel shows service unavailable!

Yes I'm serious.

Thier node might be offline. Have you tried calling them?

• The screenshot is here: https://i.loli.net/2017/07/18/596e22febd783.png. As I have said, no one replied. I have also sent tickets before and I seldom received a reply. Maybe it's too cheap and not worth a reply?@magicvpn

• Have you tried logging into the control panel at https://vps.northhosts.co.uk:5656 with the credentials emailed to you when you signed up? Mine shows as unavailable in the WHMCS dashboard screenshot you posted too, but is working directly from SolusVM at the link above.

• aaraya1516aaraya1516 Member
    edited July 2017

I've had nothing but problems, and he won't respond to any of my tickets. When I request a response he ends up spamming me with "Thank you for your ticket, this is being forwarded to the appropriate admin." every 30 minutes for 6 hours. That happened to me both times I requested a response.

EDIT: I requested a cancellation and refund a few weeks ago, haven't heard anything since.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited July 2017

They indeed have a problem with connection to client area. Although my vps works and is accessible, it does not connect with WHMCS in client area and solus vm is taking ages to login (but after that, is working fine).
    You will probably need to boot vps from Solus. Try to manage your vps thru solus panel via vps.northhosts.co.uk:5656 (you need to find your login/password in the welcome email from them). After all, the right way to manage a solus vps is thru solus UI and not WHMCS.

• @matthewkilpatrick said:
    Have you tried logging into the control panel at https://vps.northhosts.co.uk:5656 with the credentials emailed to you when you signed up? Mine shows as unavailable in the WHMCS dashboard screenshot you posted too, but is working directly from SolusVM at the link above.

I will try to find my order information. Thank you!

• eloftyelofty Member

my vps with them appears to be less stable than it was. tried to login a few days ago to the support system but it refused to login.

• The VPS was good but support issues made me not renew it.

• edited July 2017

We have two VPS's with Northhosts and they have been constantly going down, it brings back memories of Unique Geek when we had services with them. We won't be renewing.

• Ive been getting renew emails since late last month because Im letting my two vps with them run out. The uptime wasnt terrible, but compared to other hosts in the same price range (low end) it was quite a bit worse. (97% range)

• qtwrkqtwrk Member
    edited July 2017

well , I saw lot people criticizing hostsolutions.ro, but in my experiencing , NH is just worse than that , at least @cociu is working on the problem , and we can see the efforts.

I have a VPS on hostsolutions , and had a VPS on northhosts.
    but if I'd to choose , I will definitely choose HS

my case was pretty similar to the OP, no respond for days even weeks, I request cancellation and refund , and still nothing , after all I decided to let it go , it's just few pounds , doesn't worth all the trouble.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@MagicalTrain said:
    Ive been getting renew emails since late last month because Im letting my two vps with them run out. The uptime wasnt terrible, but compared to other hosts in the same price range (low end) it was quite a bit worse. (97% range)

By "run out" you mean you cancelled them right?

• MagicalTrainMagicalTrain Member
    edited July 2017

@trewq said:

@MagicalTrain said:
    Ive been getting renew emails since late last month because Im letting my two vps with them run out. The uptime wasnt terrible, but compared to other hosts in the same price range (low end) it was quite a bit worse. (97% range)

By run out I mean I didnt renew. I prepaid for some time and decided not to renew.

Is that somehow a problem? :-?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@MagicalTrain said:

@trewq said:

@MagicalTrain said:

By run out I mean I didnt renew. I prepaid for some time and decided not to renew.

Is that somehow a problem? :-?

Yes... By not explicitly cancelling you are implying to wish to continue the contract as such you're making extra work for the hosts you do this to.

• @trewq Theyre sending me automated emails asking me to renew twice. I dont see how that is work for them. I sometimes contact providers, sometimes I dont. But no skin off my nose, Ill try to do it always from now on even if I have no contract with them.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Depending on the contract, if you don't give notice you can inure additional costs, so I'd advise to always terminate your services :-).

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2017

@MagicalTrain said:
    @trewq Theyre sending me automated emails asking me to renew twice. I dont see how that is work for them. I sometimes contact providers, sometimes I dont. But no skin off my nose, Ill try to do it always from now on even if I have no contract with them.

If anything, it leaves the resources tied up for the provider when your VPS's get suspended and wait until the termination deadline thus costing them.

• alsals Member
    edited July 2017

The last few days I've had problems with them. Looks like a DDOS attack or something. When logging in over ssh via putty I see thousands of failed logins after the last successful attempt. Here: Last failed login: Tue Jul 18 20:29:43 EDT 2017 from 61.177.172.56 on ssh:notty There were 8364 failed login attempts since the last successful login.

• qtwrkqtwrk Member

@als said:
    The last few days I've had problems with them. Looks like a DDOS attack or something. When logging in over ssh via putty I see thousands of failed logins after the last successful attempt. Here: Last failed login: Tue Jul 18 20:29:43 EDT 2017 from 61.177.172.56 on ssh:notty There were 8364 failed login attempts since the last successful login.

No. Thats DDOS, it's someone try to crack your root password, change you ssh port from 22 to a large number, or install fail2ban

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@qtwrk said:

@als said:

No. Thats DDOS, it's someone try to crack your root password, change you ssh port from 22 to a large number, or install fail2ban

That's precisely the wrong advice to give. The correct advice is to set up keypair authentication and disable password authentication. Neither changing your port nor using fail2ban will be effective security measures. Although the latter will still catch more cases than the former - changing your port is just 100% useless from a security perspective.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

joepie91 said: changing your port is just 100% useless from a security perspective.

It's like placebo - calms you down :)

Thanked by 2vimalware ehab
  • joepie91 said: That's precisely the wrong advice to give. The correct advice is to set up keypair authentication and disable password authentication. Neither changing your port nor using fail2ban will be effective security measures. Although the latter will still catch more cases than the former - changing your port is just 100% useless from a security perspective.

This is not a good solution if you are getting enough brute force to push your server load through the roof. Just placing a key doesn't prevent them from connecting 10000 times and using all your resources. Fail2ban / Denyhosts ALONG with using ssh key (not password) authentication should be the correct approach to both security and preventing abuse against your server.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1switsys
  • WSSWSS Member

Install sshguard and call it a day.

• micmanmicman Member

I have open several tickets, no answer.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

TheLinuxBug said: This is not a good solution if you are getting enough brute force to push your server load through the roof. Just placing a key doesn't prevent them from connecting 10000 times and using all your resources.

It's not the "placing a key" that'll prevent it, it's the "disabling password authentication". The biggest resource cost is in the password hashing, not the connection. I have yet to see a password-authentication-disabled system actually producing a meaningful SSH load.

Fail2ban has its own set of problems too, including locking yourself out.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

That still down ?