Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for 1-2 Sponsors for FireFly
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for 1-2 Sponsors for FireFly

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
edited July 2017 in Requests

Hey,

I am currently looking into expanding FireFly with more Locations, except France/Canada.

FireFly is basically a Platform where users can Deploy Gameservers for free, instant, without registration. Currently we have only France, Canada will be soon deployed.

Since this is a non profit project, I am looking for 1-2 Sponsors to extend the locations we currently offer. Maybe you got some spare resources we could use? Would be neat.

What we would need, is a VPS which is KVM (preferred)/OVZ virtualized with the following specs:

CPU: 2 Cores+ (dedicated preferred)

Memory: 2GB or better 4GB+

Disk: 25GB+ (NVMe/SSD preferred for faster deployment)

Network: 100Mbit with 1TB+ (AntiDDOS should be in place, just in case)

We could offer the following for the sponsorship:

A banner will be added to the Sponsors Tab

A banner will be displayed inside of the Dashboard when someone deploys a Gameserver at this location

The MOTD inside of the game will updated to "sponsored by....."

So, If you are interested, feel free to drop me a pm.

Neoon.

Thanked by 1LordSpock

Comments

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited July 2017

Do you have a website for this project? I hope you find a sponsorship you require. However I thought a gameserver platform would need a little more resources than what you requested.. what games are you supporting?

• I'd be happy with this. Send me information my way.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@stefeman said:
    Do you have a website for this project? I hope you find a sponsorship you require. However I thought a gameserver platform would need a little more resources than what you requested.. what games are you supporting?

https://firefly.x8e.net/

Currently Factorio and Minecraft.

Thanked by 1yomero
    edited July 2017

Mind if I ask how this is sustainable with any resources?

I tried deploying a minecraft server and was given the following info:

Minecraft

Slots: 24
    IP: 62.210.140.182:2515
    FTP Username/Password:66889xxxxx:bb06929dxxxxxxxx
    Expiration: 0h 9m56s

Also, this is just one server created for one user. You need 2GB RAM alone for 24 active users and a fairly strong dedicated CPU core for all the concurrent actions in the minecraft world. You also give out FTP access and thus allow mods to be used that further drain your resources.

L4D2 is going to lag even more and take triple the resources than 24-slot minecraft server..

It's a noble idea, but you will need endless amount of resources just to cater even a small amount of active users. a few 2GB KVM VPSs won't really help in the long run :(

• FennecFoxFennecFox Member
    edited July 2017

@stefeman said:

Minecraft

Also, this is just one server created for one user. You need 2GB RAM alone for 24 active users and a fairly strong dedicated CPU core for all the concurrent actions in the minecraft world. You also give out FTP access and thus allow mods to be used that further drain your resources.

L4D2 is going to lag even more and take triple the resources than 24-slot minecraft server..

It's a noble idea, but you will need endless amount of resources just to cater even a small amount of active users. a few 2GB KVM VPSs won't really help in the long run :(

While this may be pretty true in the early stages I'm not sure how common it would be for a 24/24 minecraft server (Bearing in mind it does not last too long before it expires) you could scale this with demand but its more likely for a established gaming community to be running their own servers at max slots rather than relying on a temp solution. Especially with valve created source games. I quite like the idea I know there is a similar service out there but this seems more solid.

@stefeman said:

Currently we got an E3-1240 V2 with 16gig for France, should be fine

Also, if we need more Resources, should be possible to upgrade them.

Minecraft

Well, thats Vanilla, you cannot install any mods on it, so the usage is minimal, we may add modded versions but only at Locations where we got the resources for it.

Yea sure L4D2 uses a lot of resources, especially cpu, but thats no issue on dedicated machines, that why I asked for dedicated cores.

@Cas992 said:
    While this may be pretty true in the early stages I'm not sure how common it would be for a 24/24 minecraft server (Bearing in mind it does not last too long before it expires) you could scale this with demand but its more likely for a established gaming community to be running their own servers at max slots rather than relying on a temp solution. Especially with valve created source games. I quite like the idea I know there is a similar service out there but this seems more solid.

Well, I see, I need to make it more obvious.

Basically you play 1 Hour, it extends itself for 24 Hours, infinity.

Its mentioned in the About Page, but seems like, no one does click on it.

Thanked by 1yomero
    edited July 2017

You do realize, the more L4D2 instances you run concurrently, the slower your clock gets for each of them even if theres no load. there is something wrong with how it spans the servers to different ports with the & tag on launch options. Certainly do not expect to run with more than 10 L4D2 servers from one non-isolated environment/machine..

edited July 2017

@stefeman said:
    You do realize, the more L4D2 instances you run concurrently, the slower your clock gets for each of them even if theres no load. there is something wrong with how it spans the servers to different ports with the & tag on launch options. Certainly do not expect to run with more than 10 L4D2 servers from one non-isolated environment/machine..

Bro, I got more as 8k hours of gaming in Source games like GMod, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

I know what I am getting into, that project is not made in 5 minutes.

Thanked by 2yomero dedicados
  • Plans for CSGO in the future? I have friends would be interested in this project.

Also, plans for "bring your own server" type of thing? Basically turning it into a management panel only.

Thanked by 1sayem314
    edited July 2017

@Neoon said:

@stefeman said:

Bro, I got more as 8k hours of gaming in Source games like GMod, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

I know what I am getting into, that project is not made in 5 minutes.

I believe you. But I have hosted L4D servers since 2010 and still do. Running more than 10 concurrent instances aint gonna work well. Typically one is fucked after 5 already.

I do hope this project works out well. Some nice change to traditional hosting.

• EdmondEdmond Member

The load of hosting these gameservers may take up a lot depending on the usage of that player. It might be easier if you just sent out emails to other providers.

• Are you only looking for providers to sponsor?

I have quite a few idle services in the US, about 10GB total ram I would be willing to sponsor away (9GB of it OVZ however).

Let me know if you're interested.

• I dont think minecraft is a game that suits this in terms of time spent on server to get full enjoyment. CSGO and fps shooters would best benefit

• EdmondEdmond Member

@Neoon Who's sponsoring/will sponsor you anyway for your free game hosting?

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited July 2017

@Neoon

One thing I'd like is a console that allows me to execute commands and see the output without the page being refreshed. So, in other words, Javascript time?

Edit: Whoops, wrong tag.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

I can sponsor a Poland dedicated server if you require it.

Thanked by 1Aidan
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

Maybe a bit off topic - I took a look at your control panel, and noticed the console was empty until I refreshed the whole page. Maybe you should make it update every x seconds with Ajax.

• Cancel or repurpose some of your boxes you have here https://status.x8e.net, into game servers. That should get you 1 or 2 more sponsors.

• @IAlwaysBeCoding said:
    Cancel or repurpose some of your boxes you have here https://status.x8e.net, into game servers. That should get you 1 or 2 more sponsors.

it is a free project for the community, those are his personal boxes, most are $8/yr LEBs anyways...

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Plans for CSGO in the future? I have friends would be interested in this project.

CSGO yea.

Also, plans for "bring your own server" type of thing? Basically turning it into a management panel only.

No, sorry.

@Dextronox said:
    Are you only looking for providers to sponsor?

Only providers.

@FlamesRunner said:
    One thing I'd like is a console that allows me to execute commands and see the output without the page being refreshed. So, in other words, Javascript time?

I will look into it.

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:
    Cancel or repurpose some of your boxes you have here https://status.x8e.net, into game servers. That should get you 1 or 2 more sponsors.

Well as maldovia said, these are cheap ovz yearlies, not gonna work out.

• Neoon said: Only providers.

That is too bad honestly I have a dedi (owned) I might have sponsored for you. I have been thinking about starting my own game server company though. Seems to be enough demand for it and have a few boxes laying about to do it with.

• @AuroraZ said:

Neoon said: Only providers.

That is too bad honestly I have a dedi (owned) I might have sponsored for you. I have been thinking about starting my own game server company though. Seems to be enough demand for it and have a few boxes laying about to do it with.

Apparently beggars can be choosers now a days.

Thanked by 3AuroraZ Pwner luissousa

AuroraZ said: That is too bad honestly I have a dedi (owned) I might have sponsored for you. I have been thinking about starting my own game server company though. Seems to be enough demand for it and have a few boxes laying about to do it with.

I own a fairly large GSP, and let me tell you this: The market is very hard to get in to.

@IAlwaysBeCoding said:

@AuroraZ said:

Neoon said: Only providers.

Apparently beggars can be choosers now a days.

Well, I asked for sponsored resources once before from a user, it was awful.

The guy even knew, as he told me later, his dedi needs to be paid in 10 days and he cant pay it anymore. Still offered me the resources.

So, things went down, I was pissed.

Thats why I am careful, requesting resources from non-providers.

Sure, if you are a long term LET member, I probably fine with it.

I my eyes, providers are more reliable when it comes to this case.

Yea I know they deadpool also, sometimes. But you know.

Neoon said: Well, I asked for sponsored resources once before from a user, it was awful.

The guy even knew, as he told me later, his dedi needs to be paid in 10 days and he cant pay it anymore. Still offered me the resources.

So, things went down, I was pissed.

Thats why I am careful, requesting resources from non-providers.

Sure, if you are a long term LET member, I probably fine with it.

I my eyes, providers are more reliable when it comes to this case.

Yea I know they deadpool also, sometimes. But you know.

Why did you make the service free? If you would've made it paid then you could easily cover your costs by yourself.

@CConner said:
    Why did you make the service free? If you would've made it paid then you could easily cover your costs by yourself.

It's in an early stage, so no plans for now.

Well I do already cover the costs for FR/CA, I am just looking for more locations.

• What control panel are you using?

@SolidxGaming said:
    What control panel are you using?

FireFly is handcrafted.

• edited July 2017

You need a reality check buddy.

First of all, get a domain because putting your "handcrafted" panel on your x8e.net is just plain unappealing. It doesn't matter if its free for the "community", or if it is an "early stage". Even totally free open source projects from github have their own website now a days.

Second of all, your panel needs major work, I wouldn't even consider it Alpha stage at this point.

Third of all, you are literally getting in a very saturated and competitive market, and you want to get in it for free by allowing other people to provide the costs for a simple banner that no one is going to care to click. It is 2017 and not a lot of people click on banners, especially gamers .So your offer is worthless in my honest freaking opinion.

On top of that, you sound pretty entitled and not willing to invest your own $ into up keeping your own servers. I really do not see any way possible a sponsor will get his or her money out of "sponsoring" you.

You are asking for maybe around $20 of resources per sponsor, and I can't believe you aren't able to scrap together $20*2 a month for this project of yours. Too me that just screams uncommitted, lazy and waiting for other people to come in and cover your costs for your own benefit.

This discussion has been closed.