Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM or Xen to be rolled out next by RaptorNode?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM or Xen to be rolled out next by RaptorNode?

MonsteRMonsteR Member
edited July 2013 in General

So after thinking long and hard about this we decided to ask our customers and the LET Community what you thought, Were looking to deploy new servers within the USA- LA and Eu- Netherlands and we wanted to make a change to our platform, Wich would you prefer out of KVM and Xen and why?

Comments

• Xen HVM if you can. Even PV will do.

• Quite much KVM offers today, so i would like to vote for Xen PV.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited July 2013

@Ruchirablog said:
    Xen HVM if you can. Even PV will do.
    @thuvienvps said:
    Quite much KVM offers today, so i would like to vote for Xen PV.

Just out of curiosity why would you pick PV over HVM?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

KVM absolutely.

Xen is hard to troubleshoot when a VPS fails to boot (no VNC console to see the GRUB menu and select a different kernel or see the boot-up failure messages).

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @rm_ said:
    Xen is hard to troubleshoot when a VPS fails to boot (no VNC console to see the GRUB menu and select a different kernel or see the boot-up failure messages).

You havent seen the Linode's implementation of Xen :) You can change the kernels and Its the best stable platform I ever seen

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited July 2013

@Ruchirablog said:

Not using solusvm though? Or is it in the beta? As we would be using solusvm just to keep all our nodes together.

edited July 2013

You havent seen the Linode's implementation of Xen :)

Linode is irrelevant here, I'm talking about the most common SolusVM+WHMCS LEB provider case.

You can change the kernels and Its the best stable platform I ever seen

I do not care about the provider's selection of kernels, I compile my own and want the ability to install it, then check what's wrong if it doesn't boot. KVM easily provides that, Xen doesn't. In fact right now I am in the process of cancelling some Xen VMs because of this downside, and moving more to dedi and KVM.

• @rm_ I have to agree with you as in I love the flexibility of KVMs and there just fun to play around with too, But then on the other side some users are not as experienced in installing the systems etc.

edited July 2013

But then on the other side some users are not as experienced in installing the systems etc.

It is a common misconception that KVM requires that you install your own OS from ISO. It's an option, and it's "by default", but as far as I know the provider can implement preinstalled OS templates just as easily as on Xen.

• RurikoRuriko Member

I vote for KVM cause it's easier to install windows on

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited July 2013

Depending the way this goes, Either the KVM or Xen VPS's will be available for pre order later on today with %50 off discount code to celebrate the deployment :)
    Siding towards KVM at this time as their are less providers as well as flexibility

• VladorzVladorz Member
    edited July 2013

too many kvm offers compared to xen, so my vote goes to xen :)

• @rm_ said:
    KVM easily provides that, Xen doesn't.

Wrong! SolusVM might not provide that. But Xen does. you cant blame Xen because of how SolusVM handles it.

But Xen does. you cant blame Xen because of how SolusVM handles it

Maybe you mean Xen-HVM. However personally for me "Xen" is Xen PV. And there is no GRUB bootloader accessible via VNC console in Xen PV.

• @rm_ said:
    Maybe you mean Xen-HVM. However personally for me "Xen" is Xen PV. And there is no GRUB bootloader accessible via VNC console in Xen PV.

Nope. Im talking about XEN PV. Heard about PV-Grub? :)

edited July 2013

Heard about PV-Grub? :)

It's a very limited joke of a bootloader that does a half-assed job at emulating some subset of the real GRUB, why? I can't somehow magically access PV-Grub via VNC when my VPS is not actually booting. In fact there is no VNC with Xen PV to begin with, since it does not emulate a graphical framebuffer, but only a serial console. And when your OS is not booted up, this helps you in exactly zero ways.

• AsimAsim Member

KVM, then XEN (PV or HVM)

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

Why no love for OpenVZ? That is the most underrated virtualization platform imho. Works great. Very efficient use of hardware. Gracefully shares resources. Easier to Administer and support since you only have one kernel to deal with and can easily see what is going on in the VPS's. Easier for customers too since they don't have to deal with kernel space. Only runs linux is the only drawback but I don't do windows so works for me.

• ZettaZetta Member

@sman said:
    Why no love for OpenVZ? That is the most underrated virtualization platform imho. Works great. Very efficient use of hardware. Gracefully shares resources. Easier to Administer and support since you only have one kernel to deal with and can easily see what is going on in the VPS's. Easier for customers too since they don't have to deal with kernel space. Only runs linux is the only drawback but I don't do windows so works for me.

If you like being in jail, that's great but I think everyone else prefers freedom.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited July 2013

@Zetta said:
    If you like being in jail, that's great but I think everyone else prefers freedom.

We already run OpenVZ, And there doesn't seem to be that big of a market for it really. Just a few people wanted cheap vps's. Not as big as Xen and KVM's at least.

• RelipRelip Member

Xen is my favourite, because KVM is a bit slower than Xen and Xen gives us a free choice of kernel unlike OpenVZ.

@rm_ said:
    In fact there is no VNC with Xen PV to begin with, since it does not emulate a graphical framebuffer, but only a serial console. And when your OS is not booted up, this helps you in exactly zero ways.

Have you tried this? http://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php/Configuring_a_VNC_based_Graphical_Console_for_a_Xen_Paravirtualized_domainU_Guest

Thanked by 1circus
    edited July 2013

How do I "try" this? Point me to one LEB provider that supports all of this. Certainly none of the providers I used and currently use do. While with KVM all of them support VNC just "out of the box". And no, I am not running my own Xen nodes, and not going to.

• Honestly, I'd say Xen PV or KVM. Xen HVM seems like it's against the point.

On a somewhat separated note... do I know you?

• @Rallias said:
    Honestly, I'd say Xen PV or KVM. Xen HVM seems like it's against the point.

You probably already work for him :p

• EvoEvo Member

KVM

• Announcement: New server specs released.
    Intel E3-1230
    16GB RAM
    4x1TB HDD
    HW RAID 10
    1Gbit
    And we will be attempting to offer High bandwidth servers, Netherlands and USA
    Really split between Xen PV and KVM at the moment though.

• @Rallias said:

If your referring to me, you might of know me from vHostLayer before we sold that section of the company, But used to be alot more known on LET/WHT?

• yywudiyywudi Member

so finally which spec will you post in LET? XEN-PV of KVM in LA, US?

• @yywudi said:
    so finally which spec will you post in LET? XEN-PV of KVM in LA, US?

Still undecided, We will count all votes and then I do some more research and make a final choice influenced by you all :)

• yywudiyywudi Member

@MonsteR said:
    Still undecided, We will count all votes and then I do some more research and make a final choice influenced by you all :)

OK, so i prefer XEN-PV :)