Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are you doing with your Raspberry Pi?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are you doing with your Raspberry Pi?

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited July 2013 in General

I just (finally) ordered a Raspberry Pi which i wanted to have for a long time already and i was wondering what are you doing with your Raspberry Pi?

I will use mine as a Media Server and a home surveilance system (few webcams which will capture screenshots and videos when there's movement detected)

Comments

• Mine makes a very good paper weight

Thanked by 2InfiniteVPSRyan JTR
  • My own FM transmitter (and home-made antenna) to broadcast random music to the street while there's justin bieber on Viking FM.

• I got 2 colocated from PCExtreme, but I'm to scared to use it because it costs 20euros te re-install it if something goes wrong.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Will try that @sundaymouse ! thanks

• krs360krs360 Member

Waiting for my usb > ethernet adapater to show up... it'll then be used for a gateway/router... replaces the old AMD 3500+/30gb hdd/512mb ram currently working as my gateway.

• Anyone using EDIS's free colocation for these?

• Using it as a PBX server, working pretty good !

• wdqwdq Member

I set mine up as a print server to make my old printer work as a network printer.

• noennoen Member

Use my RPi as a OpenVPN and proxy server @home :)

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

I dont have such device. Yet ;(

• Got it at Christmas, havent really dont anything with it yet.

It was initially going to be a file server, but I never go round to it. It will serve a good purpose at Uni as a hackbox.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
  • SteveSteve Member

@Jeffery I have mine colocated with EDIS.

• FatboyFatboy Member

My lad is mad on Iron Man so we are trying to turn a Pi into JARVIS.
    So far we have some basic commands sorted like whats the time, the date, how many emails do I have, latest news etc,

All with Google Text-To-Speech and Speech-To-Text APIs.....

Been a laugh :)

• krs360krs360 Member

@Fatboy said:
    My lad is mad on Iron Man so we are trying to turn a Pi into JARVIS.
    So far we have some basic commands sorted like whats the time, the date, how many emails do I have, latest news etc,

All with Google Text-To-Speech and Speech-To-Text APIs.....

Been a laugh :)

sounds interesting, one of my machines is called Jarvis :p

• I thought that it would arrive today, because i ordered it yesterday before 5pm (= next day delivery) but they forgot to ship my package... They just shipped it a few hours ago though, should come tomorrow. Can't wait

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Anyone want to sell the one they have colocated?

• I've got 2 running as media centres (OpenELEC) and 2 more sitting on my shelf.

I'm going to colocate one with PCextreme, there's a bit of a backlog on their end though. Shipping isn't cheap but I feel that buying one from them defeats the novelty of it, might as well use a LEB.

• I was considering doing a global CDN, DNS type thing, As there are so many places that do free ports etc for Pies, But kinda gave up as I don't have the time.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited July 2013

PostNL (Dutch mail) lost my package... Called them and they have no single detail about the package. They simply said it's not their problem :(

Edit:
    Well, they found my package, just got it :)

• bdtechbdtech Member

Local caching dns(dnsmasq), network file server, backup to s3, and I also pull down backups from my servers to pi

• I came across a TOR site a while back running from a RaspberryPI, they're more of a novelty to be honest but do have some uses. There's some guys on YouTube using them to go wardriving etc and other misc uses. I've even seen coffee shops using them to determine the coffee customers want. They're very interesting for mini servers.

• Just got the second RPi scheduled to be delivered today. First one was with @William and his team at EDIS but I am taking it back to redo some configurations which I unfortunately messed up, will ship it back to them as soon as I get the configurations done.

Second one will be a replacement for my Tonidoplug V1 and will be served as a front-end for my Drobo NAS as well as a media server.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Network Webcam to look at my Cat.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Jack you know this... read the specification of the raspberry.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2013

I have two:

One sits in my entertainment center and streams video from my desktop PC to the TV.

Another sits in my garage, which is centrally located on my property, and interfaces with webcams mounted under the eaves to form a cheapy video system. It does not work well for this purpose; it's too slow to take pictures and upload them.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

too slow to take pictures and upload them.

Should do just fine taking a picture once every 1 minute, and really why need more often for observation that the car is still there and is not on fire. Which software do you use? I found vgrabbj is good for taking periodic still pictures. However I just save them locally as my device (Cubieboard) is also a web server for directly viewing the picture.

• DamianDamian Member

@rm_ said:
    Should do just fine taking a picture once every 1 minute, and really why need more often for observation that the car is still there and is not on fire. Which software do you use? I found vgrabbj is good for taking periodic still pictures. However I just save them locally as my device (Cubieboard) is also a web server for directly viewing the picture.

Indeed, taking pictures of static things is not helpful, so I use 'motion' ( http://www.lavrsen.dk/foswiki/bin/view/Motion/WebHome ) which works well. I think the issue is mostly with the USB bandwidth, or lack thereof, of the Pi. I'm going to upgrade to Wifi IP cameras instead.

• I decided to use my pi to install owncloud and upload some senstive things. It is located in a DC, to be exactly it is located in Amsterdam (PCExtreme free pi colocation). Al good and I installed owncloud.

This is the result:
    http://gyazo.com/25939412ed225d2517a0bcd31debd119
    This is me loging in, only entering my username and password. Took me atleast 30 seconds to login.

So... Now I have to find something else to use it.

• Use it to watch movie using xbmc and to download torrent..