Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DatabaseByDesign's Freedom Day Dedi Special - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DatabaseByDesign's Freedom Day Dedi Special

Comments

• @eva2000 said:
    Nice deal indeed - being a previous ex-databasebydesign customer who was with them for 3+ yrs IIRC, great to see they offer non-paypal payment option and an actual ticket system now. Price is great so just nabbed one :)

Welcome back to the family.... normally this family is blood in, blood out but we'll make an exception this time :)

You must be OG if you remember our PayPal only days...

• YuraYura Member

@DatabaseByDesignLLC said:
    *** slow enters the lion den ***

I like this guy.

• @WSS said:

@MasonR said:
    Did you get fraud checked by them? I think I remember someone else saying too that their verification was pretty ridiculous.

Yep. I got fraud checked, called from US phone number, gave them address that matched prefix, sent bills, ID, and semen/blood combo (don't ask), and it still took another week before I got out of stasis.

That because they weren't used to your yellow blood and blue semen. Sometimes they need to realize Yeti's are not normal people FFS.

• edited July 2017

@AuroraZ said:

@WSS said:

@MasonR said:
    Did you get fraud checked by them? I think I remember someone else saying too that their verification was pretty ridiculous.

Yep. I got fraud checked, called from US phone number, gave them address that matched prefix, sent bills, ID, and semen/blood combo (don't ask), and it still took another week before I got out of stasis.

That because they weren't used to your yellow blood and blue semen. Sometimes they need to realize Yeti's are not normal people FFS.

Thank you for bringing this up to the community. The Yeti population is a severely underserved populous in the Dedicated Server industry simply b/c of their non-human bodily fluids.

I'd like to announce the foundation we're opening F.A.Y.M - Fight Against Yeti Microagressions.

For every dollar you donate we'll put a Yeti sticker on the server we provision and send you a picture. Show your support for FAYM today!

p.s. we're likely just going to buy the tech's beer with your donated money so unless you want properly configured servers I'd think twice about donating before you get your server.

• AidanAidan Member

underserved*

• WSSWSS Member

I will wait until Wednesday to donate, then.. wait, fuck, I could get a nice box on the lowdown. My name is Shaved Hamster. Please to do the needful. Scott- you are a dick, but I love you. Now give me an IP this decade. Thanks!

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • @Aidan said:

underserved*

Dammit!!!

You pop'ed our grammar cherry.

• WSSWSS Member

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

@eva2000 said:
    Nice deal indeed - being a previous ex-databasebydesign customer who was with them for 3+ yrs IIRC, great to see they offer non-paypal payment option and an actual ticket system now. Price is great so just nabbed one :)

Welcome back to the family.... normally this family is blood in, blood out but we'll make an exception this time :)

You must be OG if you remember our PayPal only days...

yeah it's mainly the reason I left - no credit card payment option and no ticket system - only had paypal and email support back then :)

• @DatabaseByDesignLLC said:

@AuroraZ said:

@WSS said:

@MasonR said:

Thank you for bringing this up to the community. The Yeti population is a severely underserved populous in the Dedicated Server industry simply b/c of their non-human bodily fluids.

I'd like to announce the foundation we're opening F.A.Y.M - Fight Against Yeti Microagressions.

For every dollar you donate we'll put a Yeti sticker on the server we provision and send you a picture. Show your support for FAYM today!

p.s. we're likely just going to buy the tech's beer with your donated money so unless you want properly configured servers I'd think twice about donating before you get your server.

The Yeti pop is is higher them ever, just ask the show Mountain Monsters. They need these to get the word out and to find dates of course. They need to shore up the numbers for when they decide to take over the world.

• alownalown Member

As promised here, got mine last night (ordered 7/5)

Awaiting OS reload now. Ticket response indicated that it'd likely be a few hours

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
    CPU Cores   : 8
    Frequency   : 3292.441 MHz
    Memory      : 16050 MB
    Swap        : 8031 MB
    Uptime      : 6:51,

OS      : CentOS release 6.9 (Final)
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel      : 2.6.32-696.3.2.el6.x86_64
    Hostname    : localhost.localdomain

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    72.8MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      60.9MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   34.5MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   25.2MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   20.0MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   5.03MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      8.42MB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   5.65MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     3.73MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    63.1MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 242 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 238 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 240 MB/s
    Average I/O : 240 MB/s

• Still waiting for my order to go through the fraud protection.

• edited July 2017

Just a quick update.

All orders on 7/7 will be provisioned tonight.
    7/8 orders will be provisioned Monday.

Out of stock on these systems. We put up a new special which is basically this server /w the 32GB included so no more of these 'Freedom' 16G versions.

Thanks for everyone's comments, feedback, general oddball behavior and bring the Yeti problem to our attention.

Fun special for us to run. Hope you guys and gals put those systems to some good use.

• Just to clarify, if you were awaiting verification that may still be in process but we have systems set aside for you if approved - out of stock won't impact your order when/if approved.

• hzrhzr Member

Have link to 32G?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@hzr said:
    Have link to 32G?

It's on their main page: https://www.databasebydesignllc.com/

$37/mo

• @DatabaseByDesignLLC You need to do a yeti special of some kind.

• @DatabaseByDesignLLC said:
    Just to clarify, if you were awaiting verification that may still be in process but we have systems set aside for you if approved - out of stock won't impact your order when/if approved.

Any ETA on how long would I need to wait before the verification is finished?

• @MasonR said:
    That one was stalling out as well. Do you have specific countries in mind?

Got one! All seems fine.. except it also stall/hangs when doing benchmarks scripts like for example the bellow one that works on all my other servers hosted on different providers.

wget --no-check-certificate bench.sh && mv "index.html" "bench.sh" && chmod +x bench.sh && ./bench.sh

Anyone has any idea why this bench issue happens?

• WSSWSS Member

Thankfully, I logged off before hurting the wallet a little more than it generally likes.

I hereby propose Give the Yeti a Dedi (tm) project! Obviously, everyone gives, and I take the DbDLLC service and test it throughout the bloodline.

• FredQcFredQc Member

MasonR said: $37/mo

$100 Setup fee tho

@FredQc said:

MasonR said: $37/mo

$100 Setup fee tho

Yupp. Looks like they're after yearly payers (no setup fee).

• alownalown Member

alown said: Awaiting OS reload now. Ticket response indicated that it'd likely be a few hours

It was 6hrs for the OS load (from opening ticket to completion). Not too shabby for a weekend when I'm sure they're being overrun. So far, so happy.

@alown said:

alown said: Awaiting OS reload now. Ticket response indicated that it'd likely be a few hours

It was 6hrs for the OS load (from opening ticket to completion). Not too shabby for a weekend when I'm sure they're being overrun. So far, so happy.

Just curious. Why didn't you use the IPMI to install the OS yourself?

• alownalown Member

MasonR said: Why didn't you use the IPMI to install the OS yourself?

The firmware was pretty outdated. I didn't feel like looking for ancient Java to make it happen. It's an iDRAC and you get the 'operator' role. There's probably other software than the HTML portal to make it happen. I guess the honest answer would be... laziness?

@alown said: I guess the honest answer would be... laziness?

Fair enough ;)

• smile93smile93 Member
    edited July 2017
        Thanks for your patience with our setup times.  
    We've been running slightly behind on the last batch of servers which includes your system. 
    We expect to have these ready no later than 7/12.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Need to wait for two more days.

• FalzoFalzo Member

Just a quick update.

Out of stock on these systems. We put up a new special which is basically this server /w the 32GB included so no more of these 'Freedom' 16G versions.

Thanks for everyone's comments, feedback, general oddball behavior and bring the Yeti problem to our attention.

Fun special for us to run. Hope you guys and gals put those systems to some good use.

really no offence or bad intention meant, but how this sounds and look reminds me of @VortexMagnus who also appeared suddenly and made people jump on his train by throwing one dedi special after another...

okay, no $5 atom in uk yet ;-)

@Falzo said:

Just a quick update.

really no offence or bad intention meant, but how this sounds and look reminds me of @VortexMagnus who also appeared suddenly and made people jump on his train by throwing one dedi special after another...

Meh.. Seeing that DbD has been around for a long time (member who had previously had their services for years had posted earlier in this thread), I don't think they're really in the same class as VN. Additionally, they're hosting from their own DC with their own hardware, not reselling CC stock.

Thanked by 1alown
  • nulldevnulldev Member
    edited July 2017

@MasonR said:

@Falzo said:

Just a quick update.

Meh.. Seeing that DbD has been around for a long time (member who had previously had their services for years had posted earlier in this thread), I don't think they're really in the same class as VN. Additionally, they're hosting from their own DC with their own hardware, not reselling CC stock.

Yeah, DbD seems to have been created in 2002. In contrast, VortexNode seems to have been created in 2013. DbD is four times as old as VortexNode!

This discussion has been closed.