Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oneplus5 - yay or nay? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oneplus5 - yay or nay?

2»

Comments

• vovler said: As technology evolves, 8GB will stop being overkill.

You mean as apps become more bloated. Android already does a great job at managing memory and automatically freeing memory from inactive apps. 8GB is a good amount for a PC, where you have heavy duty software like games or video editing apps that can use all that RAM, but on a phone? ARM CPU performance is a joke compared to Intel desktop CPUs, there's no way you can make use of that much RAM.

Thanked by 2bugrakoc Pwner
  • vovlervovler Member

@jgillich said:

vovler said: As technology evolves, 8GB will stop being overkill.

You mean as apps become more bloated. Android already does a great job at managing memory and automatically freeing memory from inactive apps. 8GB is a good amount for a PC, where you have heavy duty software like games or video editing apps that can use all that RAM, but on a phone? ARM CPU performance is a joke compared to Intel desktop CPUs, there's no way you can make use of that much RAM.

When Android came out 1gb was a lot. These days is standard. New app features require more ram, if you consider it bloat or not is up to you. Hell, if you had more ram you could copy the entire Android system at startup for some mooooaar speed. I have a Moto g5 plus. I don't game, only browse. Never had any speed issues.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

Expensive.

Pavin.

• @DiggDigital said:
    Not a fan of Oneplus. It can never overcome Iphone.

It would not be fair to compare them with iPhone.

• @cyberpersons said:

@DiggDigital said:

Yeah, but they are slowly climbing up in terms of price. Come to the truth, they aren't a small company. They work almost hand-and-hand with Oppo. The OnePlus 5 is a failure and needs to go away. It's just an iPhone running Android. (And a bit cheaper)

I'm starting to think that they're losing their target market. (I've got a OnePlus 3T myself, I love it. Sure the design isn't great, but a quick case would fix it.)

• @TheRealMakan said:

@cyberpersons said:

@DiggDigital said:

Yeah, but they are slowly climbing up in terms of price. Come to the truth, they aren't a small company. They work almost hand-and-hand with Oppo. The OnePlus 5 is a failure and needs to go away. It's just an iPhone running Android. (And a bit cheaper)

I'm starting to think that they're losing their target market. (I've got a OnePlus 3T myself, I love it. Sure the design isn't great, but a quick case would fix it.)

The main reason I say why we can not compare it to iPhone is because of IOS. Anyone can through more and more hardware in their smartphones. But the way Apple combine hardware with IOS is amazing.

And that is the only reason iPhones don't become slow I guess, no?

• luissousaluissousa Member
    edited June 2017

Bought one on pre-order to check it out. I'll surely return it if it lets me down, but I wouldn't expect such from OnePlus

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @cyberpersons said:

@TheRealMakan said:

@cyberpersons said:

@DiggDigital said:

The main reason I say why we can not compare it to iPhone is because of IOS. Anyone can through more and more hardware in their smartphones. But the way Apple combine hardware with IOS is amazing.

And that is the only reason iPhones don't become slow I guess, no?

Pft. If my iPhone 6/6S ran Android, it'd be some sh*tstorm. The reason why even 1GB of RAM is required for iPhones and etcetera is because it is more optimized to run on slower hardware, in comparison to Android. Plus, carriers cannot install bloat ware on it, so that's a plus :)

• I have not been a been a big fan of Oneplus. There have been bad reviews about the brands of late.

• God no. Never. OP3 user here.

Official O2OS Stable. Not even rooted.

1. WLAN tethering would suddenly shut down and WLAN would suddenly enable. This DO happen even with several devices connected.

2. Switching Data SIM cards may cause one SIM to become unrecognized by the OS. Need to replug/reboot several times.

3. When paired with my LG Watch Urbane, "Pair with ......? Pair Code: xxxxxx" would suddenly pop up. This happens every week. Never had such problems with my other devices.

4. Rebooting may cause "used cellular data" to be calculated incorrectly, showing the grand total data you've used, instead of just this month's.

@ That time I could afford a Pixel XL. However, I chose OP3 since it was the 1st phone with 6GB RAM. Now I highly regret my choice. I would never touch OnePlus products again.

• sonicsonic Veteran

OPO user here and this device still rock solid, no plan to upgrade :D
    Over 500$, i would go with iPhone.

• Got my OnePlus 5 on friday. Lightweight as shit, fast as fuck. Really good fingerprint recognition, awesome cameras and shutter speed. Awesome connectivity - I even have wifi on certain places my previous Galaxy S5 wouldn't have. Haven't lagged once. Love it!

• I love my Moto Z. I'll wait for the Z2.