Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oneplus5 - yay or nay?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oneplus5 - yay or nay?

Just trying to see how does everyone feel about the newly released phone. Contemplation, buyers remorse, or hey I love one plus no matter what?

Thanks!

Comments

• PandyPandy Member

getting more expensive for what you are getting, like no waterproofing at all, FHD screen, possibly bad customer support.. but hey, you have the latest CPU and possibly most ram

Also this is the 2nd time they have been caught sending reviewers devices that 'cheat' on benchmarks

• iphone clone and cheater

• OnePlus One is the best, I never upgrade because not worth it. My next phone wont be from OP anymore.

• DiggDigitalDiggDigital Member, Host Rep

Not a fan of Oneplus. It can never overcome Iphone.

• rocketrocket Member

Nay, no water resistance, 1080p screen and caught cheating benchmarks.

Happy with my S8+.

• Guess they're kinda good. But they had better offers already, like in terms of price <-> hardware, which now other chinese companies do (like Xiaomi or others). Would recommend Sony as they really are doing a good job updating the OS and putting decent hardware into their phones and still offering very good prices, look at their XZ Premium. (ofc Google is faster, but hey, still!)

• I got the OPO years ago and had lot's of issues with it. Support is crap. Got it fixed, weeks later same issues again. Ended up using it for a couple of months but ditched it in the end. The troubles
    's not worth it.

• While I'm an iPhone guy, OP5 is a yay for me. I need an Android phone around for testing and maybe some games (though I own a GPD for). The OP5 looks pretty damn slick.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Definitely not impressed with this iteration. Nothing more than a CPU upgrade and their conversion rates are fucked. $479 USD and yet in Canada $649 CAD. No thanks.

• LeeLee Veteran

Looking at the pricing of this, Samsung and HTC it's surprising that the iPhone actually looks like value for money these days.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

Have a One Plus 3 so Im good^^ Wouldnt buy the new one though^^

• Saragoldfarb said: I got the OPO years ago and had lot's of issues with it. Support is crap. Got it fixed, weeks later same issues again. Ended up using it for a couple of months but ditched it in the end. The troubles 's not worth it.

I've had my OPO for three years now and until recently, it worked great. A few days ago, it got stuck at boot and I had to wipe everything. Still, considering what I paid for it, the OPO was an amazing phone.

The OP5? Not so much. It's still a good phone, but $500 is a though sell, especially since I don't use my phone all that much. I'll be replacing my OPO with a phone that is not only cheap, but also has good build quality and a "good enough" feature set, the Xiaomi Redmi 4X.

• Nay for 5. But their 1+3 was an awesome device.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

The low resolution screen is a huge disappointment. At this point in time a flagship phone has to do better than 1080p.

• The OP5 is doing only 1080p?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

The last OP device that I bought and still use was the OP2. Not going to settle for the half arsed support, lack of updates, critical patches and outdated components (except the processor on OP5) again.

Using the S8 as the daily driver, and am pretty happy with it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

• Already got an OP3, so no, I won't need another upgrade for quite a while.

• vovlervovler Member

Unlike most people i dont see the need for a higher than 1080p screen. My PC monitor is 1080p, its fine. In a mobile the ppi would be even higher. 1080p is more than enough. S8 comes with 1080p, you can bump it up in the software settings if you want though.
    More than 1080p is just marketing. Get me a good 1080 AMOLED display and my battery life is happy.

Good performance overall, good camera, but for the price increase will make anyone think about spending a bit more and get a galaxy s8 or iphone.

• Happy with my OnePlus 3T ;) and I don't think OnePlus 5 is not the proper upgrade for 3T ... let's wait for OP6 ...

• ZshenZshen Member

Very happy with my OnePlus 3T. Got the 5 because I'm a gadget nerd. I don't have any need/desire for a higher res screen...it's a freaking phone people. The only thing that I'd have a desire for would be some sort of resistance to the elements.

~$500 for a near stock Android experience with top of the line hardware, including a headphone jack? All day I'll drop that cash.

• @vovler said:
    Unlike most people i dont see the need for a higher than 1080p screen.

With a higher resolution, a loser can brag to another loser about how less-of-a-loser he/she is.

• jgillichjgillich Member
    edited June 2017

jbiloh said: The low resolution screen is a huge disappointment. At this point in time a flagship phone has to do better than 1080p.

And why is that exactly? The higher the resolution, the more power the display consumes. There's absolutely no way you're seeing pixels on a 5" 1080p display, going higher is pretty pointless. That's like putting 8GB RAM in a phone. Oh wait, they actually did that...

• vovlervovler Member

@jgillich said:
    And why is that exactly? The higher the resolution, the more power the display consumes. There's absolutely no way you're seeing pixels on a 5" 1080p display, going higher is pretty pointless. That's like putting 8GB RAM in a phone. Oh wait, they actually did that...

Well. As technology evolves, 8GB will stop being overkill. That wont happen soon, but eventually probably will. As for our eyes, well they only get worse and worse. I agree that 1080p is more than enough, 1440p is probably nice if you want VR. But even then ........ meh

• fLoofLoo Member

Nay.

• RodneyRodney Member

@jgillich said:

jbiloh said: The low resolution screen is a huge disappointment. At this point in time a flagship phone has to do better than 1080p.

And why is that exactly? The higher the resolution, the more power the display consumes. There's absolutely no way you're seeing pixels on a 5" 1080p display, going higher is pretty pointless.

1080p IPS is fine but with PenTile AMOLED the resolution of red/blue is halved compared to green. That results in some artifacts that kinda look a bit like chromatic abberation around text that are definetly visible from the distance I use my phone at. Here's a review of the Pixel with pictures that showcase what I mean by that: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Mobile/Google-Pixel-Review-Life-after-Nexus/Display-Analysis-Diamond-PenTile-Problem

When I bought a OP3T I thought it was a display defect at first and it was one of the reasons I returned it (the other reason was that it randomly bricked itself while lying on my desk...).

• abatabat Member

Yay, ordered one earlier.

• PandyPandy Member

And for those who care, they also installed 'Push notification' in a patch thats now advertising the OP5 on OP3/T

https://www.reddit.com/r/oneplus/comments/6iev4j/dont_send_me_a_push_notification_i_dont_care_if/

• If games is your priorities. You should prefer beast over beauty.

@DigitalFyre said:
    While I'm an iPhone guy, OP5 is a yay for me. I need an Android phone around for testing and maybe some games (though I own a GPD for). The OP5 looks pretty damn slick.

• Needs vs Wants: this thread explains. :D

(no hard feelings, just observing)