Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the best way to install GUI on VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's the best way to install GUI on VPS

First thing first, I am not a fan of GUI on VPS.

But sometimes I need to download file from fancy javascript file hosting website. I have no idea how to download it without using a GUI Browser such as chrome, firefox, etc.

Hence the title. I am using centos 7 64 bit. I don't really care about the de, wm or anything. I as long as it can run chrome and teamviewer

Comments

• Maybe the right questioin is, what should I Yum ?

• You can not install GUI on a non-GUI flavor of Linux as far as I know.

You can use Ubuntu or any other GUI based Linux flavor, of course, you will need more ram.

• @yokowasis said:
    Maybe the right questioin is, what should I Yum ?

what? you want people to do that for you

• @sibaper said:

@yokowasis said:

My question: Is it even possible? :)

• rocketrocket Member

Try this

X2Go is much better for something like this compared to Teamviewer.

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited June 2017

@cyberpersons said:

It is, you just have to install a desktop environment :)

Here a few links:

https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-install-xfce-gui-in-centos-7-linux/

http://jensd.be/125/linux/rhel/install-mate-or-xfce-on-centos-7

And then, you need a way to actually see the virtual screen. Some people use VNC, X2Go, NoMachine...

• @Nixtren said:

@cyberpersons said:

It is, you just have to install a desktop environment :)

Here a few links:

https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-install-xfce-gui-in-centos-7-linux/

http://jensd.be/125/linux/rhel/install-mate-or-xfce-on-centos-7

And then, you need a way to actually see the virtual screen. Some people use VNC, X2Go, NoMachine...

Great.

Which one uses the least resources, any idea?

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited June 2017

@cyberpersons said:
    Great.

Which one uses the least resources, any idea?

XFCE4 would be my bet

Edit: If you're referring to VNC/X2Go/NoMachine, I don't think there's much difference; I personally recommend either X2Go or NoMachine

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Install gnome or KDE then use the commande #startx to run the desktop environment and that's it.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited June 2017

There is also X forwarding over ssh... it has its issues, but this way you do not need any desktop environment or even X on VPS, you just instal firefox, for example, and X on your local PC...

• Yes, it is possible. I installed Gnome on Centos 6. But that server is a dedicated server owned by government with a lot of ram and horsepower.

I want to install it on my 2GB RAM VPS. What should I Yum ? XFCE ? or any shortcut package such as "yum -y install give-me-some-awesome-lightweight-de-package"

@cyberpersons said:

@sibaper said:

@yokowasis said:

• FritzFritz Veteran

AFAIK, on Centos 7, since it uses Systemd, to use VNC you can only use XFCE or LXDE as desktop environment.

Use above link to install desktop environment on Centos 7.

I'm using this guide, don't be lazy, read some texts there.

https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=CentOS_7&p=x&f=8

• Good find

• NANONANO Member

I have the same question but for Ubuntu, what is the perfect steps to have remote GUI with Ubuntu and 2Gb ram VPS?

• PwnerPwner Member
    edited June 2017

@NANO said:
    I have the same question but for Ubuntu, what is the perfect steps to have remote GUI with Ubuntu and 2Gb ram VPS?

I can help you there, I personally used a VNC server like vnc4server and a very lightweight desktop interface (I'm sure there are better alternatives, but I personally liked having a light one that just worked) in lxde.

sudo apt-get install vnc4server lxde

Then run the server with vnc4server

This will create a VNC session that you can connect to on vnc://SERVERIP:5900 or 5901.

The default interface will leave you with a blank desktop and a window on the top left, just right click and hold onto the desktop background and you'll have a menu pop-up that you can select what applications you want to run.

Open Terminal and type into it:

lxde

It will run the LXDE environment for your VNC session, giving you a full fledged desktop interface to work with on your VPS.

Thanked by 1NANO
  • NANONANO Member

@Pwner said:

Thanks!!! Im on the blank desktop already, but no software to run, for example browser. How can I install Chrome or something?

About running lxde I tried that in the VPS but I get: command not found

• NANONANO Member

@Pwner with startlxde works, dont know if is the correct command :D

• PwnerPwner Member

@NANO said:
    @Pwner with startlxde works, dont know if is the correct command :D

My bad, you're correct. startlxde is the command to initiate the interface. From there, you can install a web browser using Terminal if you just want something simple, like Iceweasel or Chromium.

• NANONANO Member

@Pwner can you help me with the resolution settings? where or how can I get bigger window? I cant use the browser like I want because is not wide enought :(

• PwnerPwner Member

@NANO said:
    @Pwner can you help me with the resolution settings? where or how can I get bigger window? I cant use the browser like I want because is not wide enought :(

You should be able to configure the resolution in lxde's settings. Part of it also depends on the resolution you use with your VNC client, as you can customize the resolution ratio for your VNC connection in the client.

• sarahsarah Member

Easy. apt-get install gnome-desktop

• Apparently after "yum -y groups install "Server with GUI" as the website suggest, I can't connect to my vps anymore. I can't ping my ip address. I am locked out of my own vps. Thank you.

And for some reason this thread has more comprehensive answer about Ubuntu instead of centos.

@Fritz said:
    AFAIK, on Centos 7, since it uses Systemd, to use VNC you can only use XFCE or LXDE as desktop environment.

Use above link to install desktop environment on Centos 7.

I'm using this guide, don't be lazy, read some texts there.

https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=CentOS_7&p=x&f=8

• tried this command
    yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop"

Same shit happened. Can't connect to my vps after reboot. Can't ping either. This is a vps from different provider. Is this a thing about openvz ? why my vps stopped working after group installing desktop environment ?

• After reinstalling my vps, I am now trying

yum -y groupinstall "Xfce"

Let's see what happened.

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited June 2017

On openvz the only thing that has any chance of working is X forwarding.
    I doubt X server will start inside openvz container... at least with default configuration after simply installing desktop environment group...

• @yokowasis said:
    tried this command
    yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop"

Same shit happened. Can't connect to my vps after reboot. Can't ping either. This is a vps from different provider. Is this a thing about openvz ? why my vps stopped working after group installing desktop environment ?

If you want gnome on centos 7 you after you install it go the console in solusvm, and and this thread from cent os forum will help you https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=60237

• Now, this is something new. I guess it's not so easy after all.

Thanks.

p.s. Apparently there is no group install called xfce

• r0xzr0xz Member

rapidleech

• @r0xz said:
    rapidleech

whaaaaattttt ? I have no idea what are you talking about.

• I finally manage to get it working.