Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Where to go for shared hosting these days?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Where to go for shared hosting these days?

So I'm working on a little side project and I was thinking to use shared hosting as most of it will be a 'set and forget' kind of thing. Although it's a side project I want production quality for this. Some company that know what they're doing and not slap you on some reseller package.

I've been using the obvious choices from LET so far and they're fine but nothing out of the ordinary. Not looking for offers but for some pointers, experiences etc.

Concidering a basic cpanel account, reseller would be even better. 'unlimited' addons (domains, databases etc). Around 40 Gb of space, datatransfer isn't all that important. My budget is not set but I guess €15-€20/month is reasonable. Again, I'm not looking for offers! Just want to know who to look at.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Buyshared!

http://buyshared.net

Francisco

Thanked by 1doughnet
  • @Francisco said:
    Buyshared!

Francisco

You're my top pick so far but there has to be another provider out there that can match your quality :) cheers though!

• @Saragoldfarb said:

@Francisco said:
    Buyshared!

Francisco

You're my top pick so far but there has to be another provider out there that can match your quality :) cheers though!

No one can match the quality of Buyshared ;)

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • JunklessJunkless Member
    edited June 2017

for low budget (2-5$ per month) : Buyshared, HostMantis, Impact Shared
    For good budget (10-15$ per month) : Mightweb, StableHost, Namecheap
    For higher budget (16-25$ per month) : MDDHosting, Crocweb, BigScoots

All are good and worth their price. So just pick whichever one you like.

• bobbrbobbr Member

For about 6 years I've done informal tech support for a friend who ran for a local political office. She's used StableHost for several years, and has had no problems whatsoever on a shared plan. They also have a 40GB reseller plan that's in your budget. (It doesn't matter now, she lost the last election, so it could be on some floptastic host for $1/year and no one would care.)

I'd also look at Siteground, who have a 30GB shared plan for a bit less, and are also supposed to be reliable and good.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@bobbr said:
    For about 6 years I've done informal tech support for a friend who ran for a local political office. She's used StableHost for several years, and has had no problems whatsoever on a shared plan. They also have a 40GB reseller plan that's in your budget. (It doesn't matter now, she lost the last election, so it could be on some floptastic host for $1/year and no one would care.)

I'd also look at Siteground, who have a 30GB shared plan for a bit less, and are also supposed to be reliable and good.

I can second this, StableHost is one of the best there is for shared hosting. Used it myself a long time ago for some forums.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Sad to see that I'm not mentioned ;(

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @MikeA said:

@bobbr said:

I can second this, StableHost is one of the best there is for shared hosting. Used it myself a long time ago for some forums.

Plus one for stablehost, used them in past. But they are not cheap.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • imokimok Member

I have some websites hosted on CrocWeb for more than a year ($100/3y plan). No issues until now, I think those servers are production ready.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • @mikho said:
    Sad to see that I'm not mentioned ;(

Going on what I've been reading about your services it seems you're doing a good job. Might pick up something sometime but for this particular project I'd rather go for a bigger/more known company.

• Cheers to all for the input. So stable host gets mentioned a lot. Looks promising. I'll chat with them for a bit and see how that works out. More suggestions are welcome anyway :)

• +1 mxshared.com

• @surihost said:
    +1 mxshared.com

I'll try that some day. Just curious and never got to asking this, how does it handle email? Could I trade this in for MXRoute?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Saragoldfarb said: how does it handle email?

All the features of MXroute with shared hosting alongside it. MailChannels, backup relay, etc.

Thanked by 1Saragoldfarb
  • @jarland said:

All the features of MXroute with shared hosting alongside it. MailChannels, backup relay, etc.

Pssst, mxshared's cert expired yesterday.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2017

@jarland said:

Your LetsEncrypt ssl cert has expired on mxshared.com by the way :P

Thanked by 1jar

Rhys said: Your LetsEncrypt ssl cert has expired on mxshared.com by the way :P

Damnit cron job.... you had one job.

• @jarland said:

Thanks for the info! Also available in the UK? I'm loving MXRoute btw. Using it for my spouse's company and am very impressed.

• @zafouhar said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

@Francisco said:
    Buyshared!

Francisco

Excluding the INEXCUSABLE downtime BuyShared had. jkjk, I know Francisco is on it and trying to fix his borked CentOS 7 servers :P

Saragoldfarb said: Also available in the UK?

Currently only available in London for shared, Dallas for reseller.

• I'd recommend mediatemple.net, though a bit expensive.

Thanked by 2Saragoldfarb imok
  • @jarland said:

Saragoldfarb said: Also available in the UK?

Currently only available in London for shared, Dallas for reseller.

Nice. Looking good. Might get one for some Dev work :). Good to know there's at least one shared host around who also cares about your email!

• @dedipromo said:
    I'd recommend mediatemple.net, though a bit expensive.

Forgot all about them. Thanks for mentioning. They're a bit expensive but the alternative is setting up a dedi which doesn't come cheap as well and comes with maintenance. Added to shortlist!

@dedipromo said:

That's godaddy btw.

@doghouch said:

@zafouhar said:

@Saragoldfarb said:

@Francisco said:
    Buyshared!

Francisco

Excluding the INEXCUSABLE downtime BuyShared had. jkjk, I know Francisco is on it and trying to fix his borked CentOS 7 servers :P

7's been stable now :)

Litespeed merged some patches that addressed their issues with systemd/restarts so I've had no complaints since.

Adding in the wordpress antibrute stuff and it works pretty good.

Francisco

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @Francisco That ends like 6 months of pain for you haha!

• @jarland said:

@dedipromo said:

That's godaddy btw.

Yes but way better than the shxtty hosting purchased on godaddy website.

@doghouch said:
    @Francisco That ends like 6 months of pain for you haha!

You have no idea.

They fixed it like...3 months ago or so? Been smooth sailing since.

The wordpress anti brute thing went in place a week or so ago.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@doghouch said:
    @Francisco That ends like 6 months of pain for you haha!

You have no idea.

They fixed it like...3 months ago or so? Been smooth sailing since.

The wordpress anti brute thing went in place a week or so ago.

Francisco

Kewl :)

May consider hopping back to BuyShared since everything seems to have cleared up!

• @Francisco said:
    Buyshared!

Francisco

Simply the best ...!