Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Virmach Special - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Virmach Special

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Edmond said:

@Francisco said:

@jarland said:

@didtav said:
    explain me why kimsufi and online.net do not go bankrupt despite selling dedicated server in such a low prince

They own their own data centers and get great deals on power. They're not even slightly comparable to someone colocating with another provider while trying to rent out the servers for bottom of the barrel prices.

Fairly sure that neither vortex or Virmach colocate(d) with CC. CC didn't come off to me as liking colocation much, far more meat on the bone with dedicated servers and management stuff.

As for online/ovh, OVH got ~$500M in grants from the French govt/banks last year so no, they aren't going under. Also, isn't Online.net a borderline tax shelter for some multi billion dollar corporation?

Francisco

Don't they make money themselves? Why would the government give them money?

Because they asked and they gave? Why turn it away if it's a grant.

I'm sure they make money, but making money isn't quite as big of a concern when you got $500M free or next to free.

Francisco

• @Francisco can you please share a link where someone states that ovh get grants from its governemt?

@ScienceOnline said:
    @Francisco can you please share a link where someone states that ovh get grants from its governemt?

There was PR releases over the years about it. When they started the Candian DC they got $140M then and with the now 'global expansion' is where the $500M came from.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Subzero08
  • @Francisco said:

@ScienceOnline said:
    @Francisco can you please share a link where someone states that ovh get grants from its governemt?

There was PR releases over the years about it. When they started the Candian DC they got $140M then and with the now 'global expansion' is where the $500M came from.

Francisco

Wow that much in grants holy hell why would the government invest so highly in a company like that?

@Subzero08 said:

@Francisco said:

@ScienceOnline said:

Francisco

Wow that much in grants holy hell why would the government invest so highly in a company like that?

During those first loans everyone and their dog was getting VC cash for things just because everyone wants to get into the market and try to cash out big. DO has $280M or so in VC/loans, OVH has mountains, most of silicon valley is purely VC. I mean, twitter hasn't ever posted a profit but people keep dumping cash into it.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Subzero08
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

Ponzi scheme ongoing and it will burst eventually for somebody ^-^

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Subzero08 said:

@Francisco said:

@ScienceOnline said:

Francisco

Though the answer may be more selfish in reality, the ideal answer would be to encourage rapid economical growth in a market that they believe they need more of.

• @Francisco tese links are about a 160 Mlions syndacated Loan (privates funds and banks) of some years ago, While in your post you told about 500 Milions from govt last years.

@ScienceOnline said:
    @Francisco tese links are about a 160 Mlions syndacated Loan (privates funds and banks) of some years ago, While in your post you told about 500 Milions from govt last years.

And the $370M on one and $190M in another?

The govt was involved in some of it, I can't see the banks loaning that much money without some sort of federal aid.

Even still, that's $500M in loans/etc, no matter who gave it that's a lot of play around money.

Francisco

• raynorraynor Member
    edited June 2017

Thanks for sharing, got one! :)
    2xCPU 2xRAM 25xSSD / 500xBW / Voxility filtering addon just for $14.70 annually, recurring.
    Great deal, @VirMach!
    First VPS which I buy just for price, don't have a project for it yet, guilty! %)

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • raynor said: First VPS which I buy just for price, don't have a project for it yet, guilty!

And so it begins... ;)

Thanked by 2netomx yomero
  • @Francisco said:

@ScienceOnline said:
    @Francisco tese links are about a 160 Mlions syndacated Loan (privates funds and banks) of some years ago, While in your post you told about 500 Milions from govt last years.

The govt was involved in some of it, I can't see the banks loaning that much money without some sort of federal aid.

Even still, that's $500M in loans/etc, no matter who gave it that's a lot of play around money.

Francisco

And they still can not improve their support.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • JarryJarry Member

Damn, again nothing in EU :-(

Thanked by 1Frecyboy
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@Francisco said:

@Subzero08 said:

@Francisco said:

@ScienceOnline said:

Francisco

During those first loans everyone and their dog was getting VC cash for things just because everyone wants to get into the market and try to cash out big. DO has $280M or so in VC/loans, OVH has mountains, most of silicon valley is purely VC. I mean, twitter hasn't ever posted a profit but people keep dumping cash into it.

Francisco

Here's more recent investment news from OVH:

https://www.ovh.com/us/news/cp2368.ovh_partners_with_kkr_and_towerbrook_for_further_global_expansion

OVH are growing like wildflower. (I hadn't fully appreciated to what extent.)

This is a useful summary of how they have developed (through 2014):

https://www.ovh.com/us/about-us/timeline.xml

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Francisco said: CC didn't come off to me as liking colocation much

Why do you spew so much false information? We are primarily colocation services, and we have been pushing that more and more the past year. Maybe 5 years ago is was 50/50 between colocation and dedicated servers but now its more 70/30 in favor of colocation with that number continuing to climb.

@CVPS_Chris said:

Francisco said: CC didn't come off to me as liking colocation much

Why do you spew so much false information? We are primarily colocation services, and we have been pushing that more and more the past year. Maybe 5 years ago is was 50/50 between colocation and dedicated servers but now its more 70/30 in favor of colocation with that number continuing to climb.

Maybe I am, but when I was there I only knew of 2 colocation customers, yourself and I. I guess servermania maybe, but they kept spewing that they had their own suite/room/whatever. The only other host I've run into that has colocated with you was on vpsboard (orange something?) and they moved to NYC I think.

Everyone else was renting. I knew of a few RTO people but they deadpooled before they paid off.

That's awesome that it's climbing though, always easier on the support staff.

Francisco

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco, Our buffalo facility is nearing 250 SOLD cabinets. Not every client of ours is in the hosting industry or is on WebHostingTalk. Our core client base is medical, financial, manufacturing, and other medium to large business' in the corporate world.

You can tour the facility on Google to take a look.

CVPS_Chris said: nearing 250 SOLD cabinets

Glad to hear you guys are doing well. One of these days when I come up to Manhatten you guys should randomly take a trip over for drinking. I'd say I should take a trip over to Buffalo, but the buzz would be long gone before I got that far ;)

• XenosXenos Member
    edited June 2017

Be careful before ordering one of the specials. I ordered the SSD KVM and took the risk of the no refund policy. It can't run one tab of Chrome or IE without the CPU maxing out and freezing RDP. They won't refund as expected. I'm not optimistic they will resolve the issues either.

• @Xenos said:
    Be careful before ordering one of the specials. I ordered the SSD KVM and took the risk of the no refund policy. It can't run one tab of Chrome or IE without the CPU maxing out and freezing RDP. They won't refund as expected. I'm not optimistic they will resolve the issues either.

Probably wait a week until everyone else has finished installing their system, should reduce stress on the nodes.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • XenosXenos Member
    edited June 2017

@teamacc said:

@Xenos said:

Probably wait a week until everyone else has finished installing their system, should reduce stress on the nodes.

I sure hope so. I haven't been able to do shit with it today. Am I in the wrong to do a charge back if they don't resolve it within a few days?

• @cyberpersons said:

@Francisco said:

@ScienceOnline said:

Francisco

Most people here say : I don't need support or I don't need CP thing is that in particular situations like when the same guys who praised Aruba had been charged more than their regular 1 eur they did want both a decent CP to see either in which DC they where, to have their inquiries being replied and so on.
    Same goes to some ISPs like offline and SYS .

As for kimsufi I believe they recently deployed some sort of mobile CP ( yeah maybe they end up making it when they do their DC #25 ) which I use CP to restart something like .... a server that would not allow me to ssh because of high load or use support to request to have a disk being replaced.

Sorry for the rant .

• @Xenos said:

@teamacc said:

@Xenos said:

I sure hope so. I haven't been able to do shit with it today. Am I in the wrong to do a charge back if they don't resolve it within a few days?

Yes, due to you agreeing to the no refunds clause.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @teamacc said:

@Xenos said:

@teamacc said:

@Xenos said:

Was it a No REFUNDS no matter what clause? How about if VPS is unaccessible for a month?

I did order a KVM and it's working alright, does feel a bit sluggish probably with all that dd/bench.sh going around.

• @caracal said:

@teamacc said:

@Xenos said:

@teamacc said:

@Xenos said:

Was it a No REFUNDS no matter what clause? How about if VPS is unaccessible for a month?

Thats why you buy with paypal

• @inthecloudblog said:

@cyberpersons said:

@Francisco said:

@ScienceOnline said:

Francisco

Most people here say : I don't need support or I don't need CP thing is that in particular situations like when the same guys who praised Aruba had been charged more than their regular 1 eur they did want both a decent CP to see either in which DC they where, to have their inquiries being replied and so on.
    Same goes to some ISPs like offline and SYS .

As for kimsufi I believe they recently deployed some sort of mobile CP ( yeah maybe they end up making it when they do their DC #25 ) which I use CP to restart something like .... a server that would not allow me to ssh because of high load or use support to request to have a disk being replaced.

Sorry for the rant .

I am not saying here that they did not provide me good support. But:

1st:

Even though they are a budget provider, they must answer to billing inquiries.

2nd:

Their control panel should work, because recently been giving me nginx errors.

I know many budget providers that do have good support too like Nocix, even though their hardware might not be top notch.

So is that too much to ask ?

• EdmondEdmond Member
    edited June 2017

@Xenos said:

Well if you will test the disk speed, don't be surprised that it doesn't look like a RAID 10 set up, usually that's at 400MB/s max. But it might be that everyone is setting up and Windows puts a stress on the network. Give it some time, your paying less then $2/month at the most..
    They will answer your tickets, just give it some time for them, it's a sale and they get busy.

By the way, they now have more 256MB OVZ VPS if you want them...

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

CVPS_Chris said: Our core client base is medical, financial, manufacturing, and other medium to large business' in the corporate world.

This is where more money than customers from here

Thanked by 1netomx
  • VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

I just want to address the no refunds & limited support for this special.

Yes, it means that we will not provide any major support and will not refund you no matter how much you complain. However, it doesn't mean we will just ignore you. If there's a concern with performance, feel free to open a ticket with some information so we can assist you. Rest assured that these nodes are being filled evenly. There just appears to be a combination of (1) large quantities of orders at once (2) limited to a group of servers in one location (3) with a lot of updates and benchmark going on. We have tried to phase out no support and refunds from LET/LEB, but this offer was posted for a different website for a specific event, where low pricing was very important to them.

The numbers for this special were very restricted to fill most servers halfway. There was 750 quantity listed for the OVZ-2 special but this was done in error and will be corrected.

Yura said: I'm getting a little worried for my dear @Virmach.

Hxxx said: Being respectful here... Will this be the next VortexNode cluster fuck?

Edmond said: Well ofc, I do wish it both benefits me and them, but in case they go down due to how cheap it, it doesn't bother me.

Just to be completely transparent: most of our customers that find us through special offers don't benefit us monetarily but they do spread the word about our company, which is beneficial to us. We still appreciate them and will usually treat them the same as other customers. In this specific instance we can afford to go this low because the packages come with limited support (so we're technically not treating them the same in this instance.)

Rest assured, though, that the majority of our revenue is not from special offers. We're doing just fine. Don't let the low prices distract you.

doughnet said: seems pretty bad on IO performance thus far ... pretty disappointing. took about 20 minutes for initial apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y to run.

My recommendation is to stay away if you need any decent performance.

Edmond said: Just curious but which node are you on with them?

This is definitely not running anywhere close to what's expected. I assume that everyone who signed up is running everything I mentioned above, but it would be helpful to know which node in a technical support ticket so we can assist you.

We do have systems in place to ensure this doesn't happen but we also have a system in place to reduce false positives, which may be more lenient on everyone right now.

Xenos said: Be careful before ordering one of the specials. I ordered the SSD KVM and took the risk of the no refund policy. It can't run one tab of Chrome or IE without the CPU maxing out and freezing RDP. They won't refund as expected. I'm not optimistic they will resolve the issues either.

Which package did you order? I don't believe there's any reports of overloading CPU due to these specials. I can confirm that at this time none of the Los Angeles KVM are anywhere close to being overloaded in terms of CPU.

You might just actually be running out of processing power. I would recommend a reboot or opening a support ticket, however, as you should be able to run a browser.

Xenos said: I sure hope so. I haven't been able to do shit with it today. Am I in the wrong to do a charge back if they don't resolve it within a few days?

I always encourage people to open a dispute if they truly believe they have been wronged, but do also warn them of the possible consequences. Usually the experience becomes much worse if there's a dispute. In this instance I would just recommend contacting our technical support team to resolve the problem.

Edmond said: Well if you will test the disk speed, don't be surprised that it doesn't look like a RAID 10 set up

I do want to ensure that all our VPS nodes are RAID 10. Some are better than others as we do use different configurations (4 and 8 disk, different drives and controllers.)

caracal said: Was it a No REFUNDS no matter what clause? How about if VPS is unaccessible for a month?

corbpie said: Thats why you buy with paypal

Just a tip: it might be easier to open a dispute with PayPal but it's probably easier to win a dispute with your card company, assuming you're actually in the wrong (not reading terms, buyer remorse, no refund policies, etc.)

If you're actually getting scammed, then PayPal might be better overall.

@VirMach said:
    Just a tip