Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tempted to try Hetzner? Worth it? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tempted to try Hetzner? Worth it?

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited June 2017

@Ympker there is no risk in trying. they allow you to cancel within first 14 days of use, no questions asked and you won't have to pay anything.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ZerpyZerpy Member

@William said:
    I have one with Intel 520, works fairly well still:

>   9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       933310h+40m+44.500s
    > 

93310 hours is only 106 years :-D disappointing!

• You'll never have problems with Hetzner.

Got an EX41 with i7 7700 and 2x seagate enterprise, both disks had 25 hours uptime.
    It runs rock solid. Never had any downtime and always got my 1 gpbs guaranteed uplink.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Falzo said:
    @Ympker there is no risk in trying. they allow you to cancel within first 14 days of use, no questions asked and you won't have to pay anything.

Even for serverboerse?

• @Ympker said:

@Falzo said:

Even for serverboerse?

Yes, it's the german 2 weeks Rückgaberecht

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Ympker said:

@Falzo said:

Even for serverboerse?

yes. it's especially useful on the auctions, because if you get a box with disks which have bad smart readings you can simply return them...

and that even is not only on the first, but for every order. they chose to comply to the widerrufsrecht without discussing about compensation or b2b exceptions etc.
    just plain two weeks to try without risk.

of course there will be a limit after which they might refuse any further service, if people (try to) abuse this generosity. I made use of that service three times already without being asked any questions (being a long term customer paying for some other services that is).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2017

I had 10 servers with Hetzner over the years and returned 3 of them during the first 14 days without any issues. As @Falzo said: Don't push it. They are already quite generous.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

I have been with Hetzner for a few years also. Went from an EX40-SSD to the Hybrid version - both have been great.

I even made a mistake in the RAID configuration before a drive swap-out (dying) and they were OK with putting the old drive back in quick so I could correct my mistake, without charging anything. Their support is great and very friendly.

I did start to use the AX50-SSD, but stopped after a while as I wanted Debian which is not supported yet.

• Falzo said: yes. it's especially useful on the auctions, because if you get a box with disks which have bad smart readings you can simply return them...

If you get a broken HDD you can get it replaced, so you basically just mean "smart data i don't like"...

graphic said: Yes, it's the german 2 weeks Rückgaberecht

Reminder: technically not applicable to any business customer, but they still do it there also.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Good to know ;)

Looking at:

Intel Core i7-950

HDD2x HDD 2,0 TB SATA Enterprise

RAM6x RAM 8192 MB DDR3

35€/mo m

Should anything be stopping me rn?

• @Ympker said:
    Good to know ;)

Looking at:

Intel Core i7-950

RAM6x RAM 8192 MB DDR3

35€/mo m

Only your wallet :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited June 2017

Can I order additional Disk for a server already ordered?

• jetchirag said: Can I order additional Disk for a server already ordered?

Not easily, and if you can not cheap.

• AmitzAmitz Member

jetchirag said: Can I order additional Disk for a server already ordered?

With the "Flexi Pack" - yes, but this is getting expensive quite quickly. You better order a server in the final configuration if low cost is the key.

• I imagine you could order a storage box and mount it.. Would imagine the performance to be alright within Hetzner itself (anyone tried this?)

https://www.hetzner.de/us/hosting/storagebox/bx60

@jetchirag said:

• JorboxJorbox Member

they are cool my friend

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Jorbox said:
    they are cool my friend

Thanks mate :) How are you doing? Write skype haha

• AmitzAmitz Member

caracal said: I imagine you could order a storage box and mount it.. Would imagine the performance to be alright within Hetzner itself (anyone tried this?)

Yep. Did that - Works fine.

• pikepike Veteran

Happy customer here. Had some servers with them in the past years, also dealt with support from time to time. Really one of the best lowend hosters in Germany.

• akhfaakhfa Member

@caracal said:
    I imagine you could order a storage box and mount it.. Would imagine the performance to be alright within Hetzner itself (anyone tried this?)

@jetchirag said:

I have 2 storage box with them for backup purpose, and I think it just acceptable for me. I just get < 20 Mbps from ovh BHS. I don't know how the speed if you use same hetzner server. Can anyone confirm this?

I more prefer kimsufi box to backup, because it doesn't matter if the disk fail and the speed is good.

But yes hetzner have good support.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@DrFallen said:

@Ympker said:
    Good to know ;)

Looking at:

Intel Core i7-950

RAM6x RAM 8192 MB DDR3

35€/mo m

If it is still available tonight I might fall victim :(

• @akhfa said:

@caracal said:
    I imagine you could order a storage box and mount it.. Would imagine the performance to be alright within Hetzner itself (anyone tried this?)

@jetchirag said:

I have 2 storage box with them for backup purpose, and I think it just acceptable for me. I just get < 20 Mbps from ovh BHS. I don't know how the speed if you use same hetzner server. Can anyone confirm this?

I more prefer kimsufi box to backup, because it doesn't matter if the disk fail and the speed is good.

I've got about 850 mbps from my Hetzner to the 100gb backup space, i think you can reach this speeds also with a storage box.

• @Ympker said:

@DrFallen said:

@Ympker said:
    Good to know ;)

Looking at:

Intel Core i7-950

RAM6x RAM 8192 MB DDR3

35€/mo m

If it is still available tonight I might fall victim :(

The only thing I'm unsure about is how it has 48GB ram the CPU supports 24 according to intel I'd assume it was a misprint.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2017

graphic said: I've got about 850 mbps from my Hetzner to the 100gb backup space, i think you can reach this speeds also with a storage box.

Can confirm this. Speed between my hetzner servers and the storagebox is always around 1 Gbps.

• williewillie Member

caracal said: I imagine you could order a storage box and mount it.. Would imagine the performance to be alright within Hetzner itself (anyone tried this?)

Yes, it's usable but when I did it the speed (sshfs) was about half that of using scp directly. It's always a little variable but on a typical day I got around 60MB/s through scp and half that on sshfs. I don't think you can nfs mount a storage box.

• akhfa said: I don't know how the speed if you use same hetzner server. Can anyone confirm this?

100Mbit or more pretty easily. Not gbit though.

• I came here asking a question and people recommended hetzners for me and I could not be happier but I am doing nothing but small site thing for hobby.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • willie said: They have i7-3930's (6 core) but those cost almost 2x the i7-3770

Depends. If you're lucky you can get one quite cheap. I had a i7-3930 64GB RAM 2x3,0TB NIC1000Mbit for like 46€-ish. That's only a tad more than the i7-3770 which only had 32GB RAM.
    Tho cancelled the box since project didn't continue anymore.

But yea. Hetzner is awesome. Would use them right away if i had another project that required good uptime and good hardware at a competitive price point.

• O> @graphic said:

@akhfa said:

@caracal said:

@jetchirag said:

I've got about 850 mbps from my Hetzner to the 100gb backup space, i think you can reach this speeds also with a storage box.

Can a Storage box be used as normal drive with cPanel?

• jetchirag said: Can a Storage box be used as normal drive with cPanel?

cpanel allows to set FTP i think, so semi. Else by SSHFS. Performance on either is degraded as it is FUSE or yea, FTP.