Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tempted to try Hetzner? Worth it?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Tempted to try Hetzner? Worth it?

As many people here seem to approve of Hetzner Im looking to try them out, even if that means risking to waste all my money for stupid auctions (rip €).

Ive been running all my dedis on Sys so far what noticeable difference will I see with Hetzner?

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member

Expect better support and faster network speed (port).
    I love Hetzner for what they offer at the given price point (serverboerse).

• VPNVPN Member

SYS has its perks, notibaly the free IPs but the support and network speeds from Hetzner are superior in my opinion.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • ZerpyZerpy Member

I like Hetzner for a few things, such as their auctions (got a nice 6 core/12 thread server for 30 euro there), and also their other ranges are OK.

The fact that they use consumer SSDs bothers me - and has resulted in a disk failure on a server running less than 10 months - however, disk was replaced in just 9 minutes (from I created ticket, until I got a reply from support saying the disk had been replaced).

I only have 3 servers with them, but so far the experience has been pleasant.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

@Zerpy said:
    disk was replaced in just 9 minutes (from I created ticket, until I got a reply from support saying the disk had been replaced).

That's really fast considering the prices. Was it an auction server (30 euro one you mentioned) or one of the normal Hetzner ones?

• AmitzAmitz Member

They did the same to me twice. On a Sunday and a public holiday. Both disks were replaced < 15min. Really great. And that was for auction servers!

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited June 2017

@Zerpy said:
    I like Hetzner for a few things, such as their auctions (got a nice 6 core/12 thread server for 30 euro there), and also their other ranges are OK.

The fact that they use consumer SSDs bothers me - and has resulted in a disk failure on a server running less than 10 months - however, disk was replaced in just 9 minutes (from I created ticket, until I got a reply from support saying the disk had been replaced).

I only have 3 servers with them, but so far the experience has been pleasant.

We got our proxmox node for internal dev there and we ordered in in serverbidding, it has 2 enterprise ssd though that was noted while ordering.
    For 62 EUR per month:

E3 1270v3
    32GB RAM
    2x480GB SSD Enterprise
    1Gbit NIC
    /27 subnet.

Can't really complain, they're pretty good though I'd like to move to the UK, anyway, we'll keep it for now since we have no reason to complain, nor we're able to find a similar offer.

• Hetzner is one of the best providers I've tried. Period.

Thanked by 2Falzo pike
  • For EU destinations, they're probably one of the best choices given the budget. For US destinations that require the lowest ping possible or high throughput, look elsewhere.

• Correct thread on correct timing

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Susbscribing in... always tempted to get something in hetzner but was always afraid of getting ddosed. I heard they added ddos protection so any day I get a good deal.. I will jump in... thanks to all those chiming in regarding your experience at hetzner

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@MikeA said:

@Zerpy said:
    disk was replaced in just 9 minutes (from I created ticket, until I got a reply from support saying the disk had been replaced).

That's really fast considering the prices. Was it an auction server (30 euro one you mentioned) or one of the normal Hetzner ones?

That was one of the normal ones (EX41-SSD to be exact) - I've not seen a disk failure in the auction one yet, but that one uses SAS drives - and hopefully it won't die on me lol.

So yeah, 9 minutes for a server that costs 39 euro :-D

Ticket created 26-05-2017 at 6.19 PM
    Ticket replied 26-05-2017 at 6.27 PM

So actually it's only 8 minutes.

May 26 18:26:31 elasticsearch02 kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
    May 26 18:26:31 elasticsearch02 kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
    May 26 18:26:31 elasticsearch02 kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Stopping disk
    May 26 18:26:31 elasticsearch02 kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Start/Stop Unit failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
    May 26 18:27:00 elasticsearch02 kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] 1000215216 512-byte logical blocks: (512 GB/476 GiB)
    May 26 18:27:00 elasticsearch02 kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
    May 26 18:27:00 elasticsearch02 kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
    May 26 18:27:00 elasticsearch02 kernel: sdb: unknown partition table
    May 26 18:27:00 elasticsearch02 kernel: sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2017

It's a desktop processor with desktop hardware. If that is okay for you - great deal. (Mind the setup fee!)
    I would go with an auction server having ECC RAM instead, but that's just my preference.

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • @Amitz said:
    It's a desktop processor with desktop hardware. If that is okay for you - great deal. (Mind the setup fee!)
    I would go with an auction server having ECC RAM instead, but that's just my preference.

Shall it be preferred for a cPanel server with some numbers of websites?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2017

jetchirag said: Shall it be preferred for a cPanel server with some numbers of websites?

That is really up to you and your religious confession when it comes to ECC RAM in servers. Most will probably say that it is not worth any worries as long as you have backups in place. I fear the shifted bit. Way more than the devil. But I am a special kid with special needs, so...

Thanked by 2Junkless jetchirag
  • LunarLunar Member

I've been with Hetzner for a couple years now and I've never had a single problem. I can confirm disk replacements are VERY fast considering the price. Hetzner is hands down one of the best providers I've had experience with.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • I've had two servers with Hetzner for almost three years now, both running Windows Server 2012 R2 for Plex. Had a disk fail a few months back and they replaced it within 15 minutes.

Never had any issues, touch wood.

• akhfaakhfa Member

How do you tell them what harddisk is fail? I think the harddisk can't be hot swapped.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

akhfa said: How do you tell them what harddisk is fail?

If they use normal hot swap bays the bad disk would normally be signalled by a different LED colour.

• @akhfa said:
    How do you tell them what harddisk is fail? I think the harddisk can't be hot swapped.

Via a ticket just like you would with any unmanaged dedicated server host?

• akhfaakhfa Member

I mean we know that for example sdb is fail. How do they know what disk is sda and what disk is sdb without login to the OS?

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited June 2017

They ask you to provide the serial number of the drive to get changed. You send them your smartctl output and they know what to do.

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • WickedWicked Member

Hetzner is just the best. Such a friendly support team and their network is rock solid. I have moved everything from OVH to Hetzner and a friend of me did the same last week.

Only thing I don't like is their control panel. It looks like complete garbage. But I guess it works, it has the functions I need.

• williewillie Member

I'm happy with the i7-3770 auction server I have with them, though it's old desktop hardware. One of the disks when I got it was almost new, the other was old and failing. It took me a while to convince them the old disk needed replacement but once I showed the SMART sector failures kept increasing, they swapped the disk in minutes. So they clearly have their DC's staffed 24/7.

I don't remember seeing any low cost SSD or 6 core servers in their auction. They have i7-3930's (6 core) but those cost almost 2x the i7-3770 4 core and are only about 25% faster (they do have more ram).

• @willie said:
    I'm happy with the i7-3770 auction server I have with them, though it's old desktop hardware. One of the disks when I got it was almost new, the other was old and failing. It took me a while to convince them the old disk needed replacement but once I showed the SMART sector failures kept increasing, they swapped the disk in minutes. So they clearly have their DC's staffed 24/7.

I don't remember seeing any low cost SSD or 6 core servers in their auction. They have i7-3930's (6 core) but those cost almost 2x the i7-3770 4 core and are only about 25% faster (they do have more ram).

Probably one of their 980 or 990x.

Anyone got any R/W for their SSDs thinking of upgrading one of my servers

• williewillie Member
    edited June 2017

DrFallen said:

Anyone got any R/W for their SSDs thinking of upgrading one of my servers

Hetzner has no low end SSD servers in the auction, or anyway they are rare. They have some nice ones in the non-auction but they have setup fees. SYS has more choices with no setup fees.

• I wasn't really looking at lowend I've seen plenty of options in the auctions I was just wondering how they actually performed.

• williewillie Member

DrFallen said: wondering how they actually performed.

Oh. Hardware is as advertised, if often a little old. Support is very quick about fixing hardware problems, not so great at anything else. Network is good within EU, not so good across the Atlantic.

Overall my auction box could be better, but I'm very happy with it considering the pittance I'm paying for it.

• Hetzner will provide you good support.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2017

MikeA said: That's really fast considering the prices. Was it an auction server (30 euro one you mentioned) or one of the normal Hetzner ones?

This does not matter, they are handled by the same staff which is pretty much 24/7 right in any DC or at most one next door.

Replacement for us usually takes an hour or so but most servers have to be shut down for it.

risharde said: I heard they added ddos protection so any day I get a good deal..

It works not perfect but for free pretty good, same level or better than OVH in some cases. German speaking high advantage if you get attacks through and need tweaking.

Zerpy said: The fact that they use consumer SSDs bothers me

I have one with Intel 520, works fairly well still:

9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       933310h+40m+44.500s

akhfa said: How do you tell them what harddisk is fail? I think the harddisk can't be hot swapped.

You need to fill out the serial number of the failed or working disk when requesting replacement:

Clouvider said: If they use normal hot swap bays the bad disk would normally be signalled by a different LED colour.

95% of hetzner servers are desktop towers with no hot swap bays at all.

Amitz said: I fear the shifted bit

Many say that but use i3/E3 then with unbuffered ECC instead of E5/x56xx with registered... more research in that cases makes sense; unbuffered has major differences.

willie said: I'm happy with the i7-3770 auction server I have with them, though it's old desktop hardware

3770 (2012) is hardly old. This is old (2010):

Still runs perfectly fine.

Thanked by 1akhfa