Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMBox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMBox

ucxoucxo Member
edited June 2017 in Providers

Long story short: VMBox just sent me an advertising email, despite me making it very clear that I never want to do business with them again, so here goes a list of all the indications that they have no clue what they are doing.

I signed up with them on 2017-04-15; Easter yearly deal I think.

Opened a ticket asking whether they could provide IPv6 connectivity, considering their upstream announces two prefixes from the same AS (spoiler alert: no IPv6 for me). However, I didn't receive the usual WHMCS acknowledgment email after creating the ticket — or so I thought.
Turns out they are using SendGrid to deliver all their emails, and have configured it to replace all links and image URLs with click-tracker links (so far so usual), while displaying the original URL as the link text (as you would expect from your average phishing scheme) — which sends the mails straight to the spam bin.

Okay, probably just an accidental misconfig and easily fixed. Let's open a ticket to let them know.
Even got a fairly speedy reply (though the notification email was of course flagged as spam): "I'll look into it, thank you."
A week later, I got the usual "Your Feedback is Requested for Ticket #xyz" email. In my spam folder. So I bumped the ticket, letting them know the problem was still unchanged, and got "Thanks for letting us know, we'll look into it." — after several days. Followed by another "Your Feedback is Requested" a week later, still with obfuscated links, still going to spam.
Clowns. Let's take a better look at them…

• Their login uses unencrypted HTTP by default. (Though you can manually switch to HTTPS if you're paying attention.)
  • The juicy bit: "VMBox.Co is a UK based VPS and dedicated server provider with international presence." (quoted from yesterday's ad email), but
    • Their website doesn't state any legal representative or postal address at all.
    • Their domain whois address is "25883 N Park Ave, Unit A245540, Elkhart, Indiana, US" which seems to have a surprisingly large number of tenants according to a quick Google search. Letterbox company, anyone?
    • The only registered UK company named "VMBox" was dissolved in September 2016: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08965146

I opened a ticket citing the still unfixed email problems and the sketchy company information, and asked for a prorated refund of the remainder of my contract period.
Cue the usual "you've already started using your service, we won't refund you" discussion (even though I explicitly asked for a refund of the remaining time on my contract).
All the while, they never even mentioned my comments about their company information…

TL;DR

VMBox doesn't know and doesn't care how to configure even a hosted, third-party email service correctly.
VMBox also has some really sketchy company information (company officially dissolved, company address appears to be a letterbox in the US while they claim to be UK-based).

Draw your own conclusions.

Thanked by 1Yura

Comments

• ucxoucxo Member

Oh, by the way:

• Their advertisement email was not marked as spam.
    • Said email did not contain any information on how to unsubscribe.
    • I don't think I opted in to receive ads, but I'm not totally sure on that count.
    • When I opened a ticket, requesting my personal info to be deleted and my email address to be removed from the ad mailing list, they did promptly comply, so good on them for that.
    • The notifications for that ticket still had the same obfuscated links and therefore went to spam again.
  • Going to take a guess they used the cheap company rego in the UK and forgot to keep it updated

Thanked by 1dwtbf
  • StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

What's the problem here other than causing drama?

You was sent a marketing email, you requested to unsubscribe and we obliged? Am I missing something?

• ucxoucxo Member

@VMbox said:
    Am I missing something?

@ucxo said:
    VMBox doesn't know and doesn't care how to configure even a hosted, third-party email service correctly.
    VMBox also has some really sketchy company information (company officially dissolved, company address appears to be a letterbox in the US while they claim to be UK-based).

• ucxoucxo Member

As for the marketing email, it was only what triggered this post, not what the post is about. If it weren't for the email, I would have just forgotten you and moved on.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2017

I think we need a snowflake tag.

• StevenNStevenN Member, Host Rep

We've been around for 7 years, we're not 'dodgy'. I'm a sole trader not a LTD. stop trying to cause drama buddy.

• if you're legit company atleast show some proof to @op so he can move on

Thanked by 2quick default
  • I don't care it's a sole trader, don't care about their marketing emails either. All I care about is their service. I've been with them for years and their shit just works and support is there when you need them.

Sure, I get your point but it's just nitpicking imho. Look at any random LE host and you'll find issues like this. Give them some credit. They've been around for years, delivering great services.

• @ucxo said:
    Oh, by the way:

• Their advertisement email was not marked as spam.
    • Said email did not contain any information on how to unsubscribe.
    • I don't think I opted in to receive ads, but I'm not totally sure on that count.
    • When I opened a ticket, requesting my personal info to be deleted and my email address to be removed from the ad mailing list, they did promptly comply, so good on them for that.
    • The notifications for that ticket still had the same obfuscated links and therefore went to spam again.

Oh. When you sign up, I believe that you're automatically opted into the email program. I get offers once every few months also.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@ucxo: It sounds like you're overreacting. (Didn't you also overreact to BuyVM a month ago?)

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2017

@angstrom said:
    @ucxo: It sounds like you're overreacting. (Didn't you also overreact to BuyVM a month ago?)

Have a look: I haven't been with them in over a year, but I still receive:

In Canada, it is illegal to not have an unsubscribe link, and to send emails to customers that haven't dealt any business in over a year.

I'm certain that there's something in the US sanctioned CAN-SPAM act also, but eh... I'm too lazy to search that up.

EDIT #2: Can confirm my CAN-SPAM thought. According to the US gov't, emails must have an unsubscribe link that works, and they're (legally) not allowed to blame Sendgrid for not putting such a link.

EDIT #3: Not trying to bash VMBox, but I want to add to the Canadian side's law. In Canada, fines go up to $800,000-$1,000,000+ for violations. Violations can occur when 1) mail is sent with regards to an offer (Section 1.2 in definitions of the Canadian Consumer Protection act. Section 2a, b, and c state that contact information must be placed, and they (again) must have an "unsubscribing mechanism" in place. Building on my first statement, emails are allowed to be sent to a customer (whose consent is implied) for up to 6 months, and can be extended up to one year. After this point, consent should automatically be revoked, or according to the act, subscription confirmation must be sent.

@ucxo You're welcome :P

Thanked by 1ucxo

@doghouch said: @angstrom said: @ucxo: It sounds like you're overreacting. (Didn't you also overreact to BuyVM a month ago?)

Have a look: I haven't been with them in over a year, but I still receive: [...]

Is there a setting in your account profile for this mailing list? If not, then I agree, an unsubscribe link should be included.

• ucxoucxo Member

doghouch said: In Canada, it is illegal to not have an unsubscribe link, and to send emails to customers that haven't dealt any business in over a year.

No clue about the legal aspect in the UK, but either way it's just extremely bad practice.

So this is how it looks for me:

• They don't know how to do marketing emails right (no unsubscribe link).
    • They don't know how to do emails right in general (I'm not complaining about the click-tracking, just about obfuscating the click-tracker links as non-tracking links, which rightly triggers my default Spamassassin setup).
    • They don't know how to do HTTPS right (unencrypted login form).
    • They can't be bothered fixing their email setup, don't even take the time for a proper ticket reply or a "we've checked and it looks fine on our side". Just silence until the automatic ticket expiration kicks in.

What else don't they know how to do right?
    At this point, I have zero confidence in their services, hence the cancellation and the whining on here.

If it works for others (e.g. @Saragoldfarb), that's great for you. I'm just calling it like I see it, so you're free to read it and decide for yourself whether I'm a paranoid nutter and whether you want to use VMBox.

• @angstrom said:

@doghouch said: @angstrom said: @ucxo: It sounds like you're overreacting. (Didn't you also overreact to BuyVM a month ago?)

Have a look: I haven't been with them in over a year, but I still receive: [...]

Is there a setting in your account profile for this mailing list? If not, then I agree, an unsubscribe link should be included.

Even so, every email (according to the CAN-SPAM act and the Canadian Consumer Protection act) state that contact information and details on unsubscribing must be available on every email sent for commercial (even non-profit) purposes. The only exception to this on the Canadian side is that the email is directed to someone you know, and it is for personal matters.

• @VMbox said:
    What's the problem here other than causing drama?

You was sent a marketing email, you requested to unsubscribe and we obliged? Am I missing something?

To conclude my legal crap: company information MUST be valid for minimum 6 weeks after sending the email. If you're dissolved, and people in countries such as Canada get them, you're technically violating the law.

@ucxo said: So this is how it looks for me: [...]

Okay, fair enough. (Your four points are strictly compatible with good VPS services, but I see what you mean.)

• tortautortau Member

Just my 2 cents since someone created a post about this.

I was a customer of VMBox back in 2014 - got it just for the SSL cert and that was it. They kept sending promotional emails since - I requested to be unsubscribed and even received a "You have been unsubscribed" notice. And yes, I still get those damn emails till today.

I just swear out loud, mark them as spam in Gmail and move on. But maybe I should report to CAN-SPAM and this will eventually stop.

• @VMbox said:
    We've been around for 7 years, we're not 'dodgy'. I'm a sole trader not a LTD. stop trying to cause drama buddy.

Which is it?

• TomTom Member

@VMBox your whois shows a US phone number, yet your site a UK phone number? Confused.

VPSensational said: Which is it?

A sole trader can employ people so it can be both

Thanked by 1Junkless
  • niceboyniceboy Veteran
    edited June 2017

Dont know about their legal stuff.. But, vmbox is providing solid vps service.

[root@nl ~]# uptime

02:14:28 up 145 days, 15:43, 1 user, load average: 0.41, 0.37, 0.43

• Yeah, I'm receiving these too as of yesterday.

Didn't find any unsubscribe link on the latest sale email, got pissed and marked it as SPAM.

Then I calmed down, checked the previous ones with vmbox in subject line

The previous ones DID have an unsubscribe link, that I clicked to unsub properly.

• @vimalware said:
    Yeah, I'm receiving these too as of yesterday.

Didn't find any unsubscribe link on the latest sale email, got pissed and marked it as SPAM.

Then I calmed down, checked the previous ones with vmbox in subject line

The previous ones DID have an unsubscribe link, that I clicked to unsub properly.

Appears to be a hit and miss. Here's one from 2015:

• Out of interest, what's shown on the invoices you receive in terms of name and address etc.

• ucxoucxo Member

@ratherbak3d said:
    Out of interest, what's shown on the invoices you receive in terms of name and address etc.

• ratherbak3dratherbak3d Member
    edited June 2017

Yeah that's not a legit invoice at all. UK Sole trader or otherwise.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • ucxoucxo Member

@ratherbak3d said:
    Yeah that's not a legit invoice at all. UK Sole trader or otherwise.

I was going to say "But isn't that just how WHMCS templates are?".
    Then I checked my records and found that everyone else (InceptionHosting, Leaseweb, LoveServers, OnePoundWebhosting, OneProvider, Snapserv, VMHaus) at least puts their address on the invoice. InceptionHosting even has their UK company registration number on there. @AnthonySmith You might want to add your logo instead of the logo placeholder, though. ;)
    VMBox on the other hand: zilch.

ucxo said: @AnthonySmith You might want to add your logo instead of the logo placeholder, though. ;)

God damn it, must have overwritten it on upgrade :s Thank you!

Yeah as a sole trader you actually have more responsibility to let people know who they are dealing with, that invoice is not the correct way of doing it.

The LTD looks like it never traded, it only declared £1 share capital in dormant accounts then got struck off for none filing, I hope no one ever got an invoice from the LTD, that would be very dodgy.

As it stands though the invoice info should be updated to say "name t/a vmbox, address."

• ucxoucxo Member

Don't get me wrong: I'm sure they're not trying to scam anyone (they've apparently been around for years and their VPSs seem to work fine for several people in this thread).
    They just show too many signs of carelessness, which makes me want to go elsewhere, to someone who looks more like they know what they're doing.