Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PIOHOST, second chance!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PIOHOST, second chance!

comebackcomeback Member
edited June 2017 in Reviews

I ordered a VPS on May 14, 2017:

4 CPU Cores

1.5GB RAM

2GB Burstable ram

50GB Disk Space

1000GB Bandwidth

£14/year ($17.56/year)

The VPS did not work, I could not do anything:

I contacted the support which was very fast:

Hi,

Please connect with the following IP:

XXX.XXXX.XXX

Your VPS was assigned an IP from a block that is yet to be announced.

I configured the VPS, there were 5 sites with Wordrpess and it worked very well.

Today I notice that the VPS does not work.

Maybe it's been a day or two, I do not know.

I write to the support, here is the answer:

Hi,

There has been a recent issue in the location that your VPS was located, We are unable to confirm the exact cause as of right now but can confirm that we are unable to recover the data from the servers,
at this time we are unable to offer you the service because of this however what we are prepared to do is offer you the following completely free,

512MB DDR4 ram

10GB HDD

1vCore

1 Ipv4 1 x /64 Ipv6

500GB Bandwidth

100Gbps DDoS Prot

Bristol

KVM

We are extremely sorry for any data loss and this is the reason why we are offering you and upgrade free of charge for the same price as your previous service.

I asked for a refund.

What do you think ?

Thank you for your help ?

Comments

• And I bought a VPS from them less than an hour ago...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

is that offer on top of your VPS that has been recreated on a new node?

• @AnthonySmith said:

I do not know, at the moment I do not have a VPS,

They wrote to me, because I contacted them.

• Is it me or is the new VPS a downgrade from the old VPS?

• @zafouhar said:
    Is it me or is the new VPS a downgrade from the old VPS?

That's why I'm asking for a refund.

• @zafouhar said:
    Is it me or is the new VPS a downgrade from the old VPS?

The old VPS appears to be OVZ. So I'd call them about even.

zafouhar said: Is it me or is the new VPS a downgrade from the old VPS?

Thats why I asked if it was a free VPS in addition to the current one when the recreate it.

• You got what you paid for. Fairy dust.

• BopieBopie Member

@comeback said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Ok so i can't really argue with you and you are correct, this is bad, I don't blame any client that is angry at us, We had sent out an email to our clients but it was not received for some reason by some clients, I can't defend this situation which is why we are trying to offer the next best thing we can which is a replacement for the service you had, As far as I'm aware right now our server suffered a power loss and with that the raid failed (@AnthonySmith im sure you mentioned how bad the p410 was a few days ago)

I'm more than happy to come to a solution with you and have taken over the ticket personally now and will respond to you, We have never dealt with this situation before and are trying to get a new node up and running in our other DC so we can offer all our clients a replacement, as of right now we are making that our priority.

• @Bopie said:

@comeback said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Ok so i can't really argue with you and you are correct, this is bad, I don't blame any client that is angry at us, We had sent out an email to our clients but it was not received for some reason by some clients, I can't defend this situation which is why we are trying to offer the next best thing we can which is a replacement for the service you had, As far as I'm aware right now our server suffered a power loss and with that the raid failed (@AnthonySmith im sure you mentioned how bad the p410 was a few days ago)

I'm more than happy to come to a solution with you and have taken over the ticket personally now and will respond to you, We have never dealt with this situation before and are trying to get a new node up and running in our other DC so we can offer all our clients a replacement, as of right now we are making that our priority.

The vps I had was quick.

The support has always been fast.

I criticize the replacement of the VPS, which is not what I paid for.

The hard drive is 5 times smaller, 10 GB before 50 GB

The memory is 3 times smaller, 512 MB, before 1.5GB.

• BopieBopie Member

As for if its a downgrade, the old vps is OVZ and we don't offer that anymore so I'm willing to offer KVM to the people that want it.

@comeback if the virt type is of no importance to you then your only way forward is a refund as they do not offer OpenVZ anymore, they have been honest about what happened and there is no other way forward.

@Bopie yes the p410 is the evilest card ever released, the problem is it is so ridiculously cheap and it is sold as enterprise grade when it is absolutely terrible, I have had a number of them spit out disks and destroy the array, I was able to recover data in all but 1 of those situations but it literally took 3 days of none stop work only getting a few hours sleep in between.

I used to work for HP, even HP do not use p410's for anything, not even pre-production, not even test or staging environments.

You will actually find an alarming amount of Dell servers in HP data centers.

Shit situation all round but it is the risk you take when using local storage, raid cards can be a single point of catastrophic failure, it is not the host's fault, it can happen to anyone at any time.

It is a shame that this seems to have killed the OVZ service completely, I think it may have been appropriate to offer like for like but it is what it is.

• @Bopie said:
    As for if its a downgrade, the old vps is OVZ and we don't offer that anymore so I'm willing to offer KVM to the people that want it.

I find this a pity, because the support is very fast.

The VPS is also very good.

The proposal was awkward.

We are looking for a solution and I am sure that PIOHOS will make me a good proposal.

@comeback you got the hosting equivalent of being struck by lightning, it is rare but it happens, if you are happy with every other aspect then maybe give them a second chance if you can work out an amicable deal.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • FredQcFredQc Member

The mods should change the title, they don't looks like a bad company to me?

• @Bopie said:

Honestly, then you should try to match the resources or at least offer something that is comparable.

• BopieBopie Member

@zafouhar said:

@Bopie said:

Honestly, then you should try to match the resources or at least offer something that is comparable.

I am working with each individual client on a solution that fits their personal needs, We are trying to amend where we have gone wrong.

This is a situation that we did not know how to handle and are doing everything we can to fix

zafouhar said: Honestly, then you should try to match the resources or at least offer something that is comparable.

I agree, but there is little point in offering something at a long term loss, that will not help anyone and just create more problems.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    @comeback you got the hosting equivalent of being struck by lightning, it is rare but it happens, if you are happy with every other aspect then maybe give them a second chance if you can work out an amicable deal.

@Bopie said:

@zafouhar said:

@Bopie said:

I am working with each individual client on a solution that fits their personal needs, We are trying to amend where we have gone wrong.

This is a situation that we did not know how to handle and are doing everything we can to fix

We found a solution.

I changed the title, and I'll leave a second chance.

I would like to give you my opinion.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • @Bopie said:

A node going down and compensating users is something you didn't know how to handle? Even VortexNode (who everyone is down on right now) handled the loss of their Atlanta node better than what I've seen. Doesn't inspire confidence as a new customer.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • @AnthonySmith said:

zafouhar said: Honestly, then you should try to match the resources or at least offer something that is comparable.

I agree, but there is little point in offering something at a long term loss, that will not help anyone and just create more problems.

Although I agree with that, the customer ordered VPS A and is now getting VPS B so in this case offering something for a loss may be what is needed to ensure customer satisfaction or just give full refunds to the users.

advarisk said: Even VortexNode (who everyone is down on right now) handled the loss of their Atlanta node better than what I've seen.

By never giving anyone the same answer twice, closing peoples accounts that asked for refunds and closing entire locations while outright telling lies?

I really don't think that is handling it better compared to just admitting this is the first time you have handled this sort of thing and probably being a bit overwhelmed.

• BopieBopie Member

@advarisk said:

@Bopie said:

A node going down and compensating users is something you didn't know how to handle? Even VortexNode (who everyone is down on right now) handled the loss of their Atlanta node better than what I've seen. Doesn't inspire confidence as a new customer.

I'm sorry but that was badly worded, We have never experienced this sort of an issue before so have no previous experience of dealing with it, this is what I meant by that comment, if there is an issue with you vps i would be more than happy to help you figure out what exactly is the matter with it, As you can see we have worked with the client like we are with all that are effected, in finding a solution that they are happy with.

zafouhar said: Although I agree with that, the customer ordered VPS A and is now getting VPS B so in this case offering something for a loss may be what is needed to ensure customer satisfaction or just give full refunds to the users.

yep, looks like that has been achieved now.

Actually, i don't know why I am so active here defending @Bopie he is a direct competitor that crushes my prices haha, I'm out!

Thanked by 3ashkulz Junkless cassa
  • They wrote a mail saying what happened, offered a 1 month extension with same specs on another node. Dunno about closing account that asked for refund, but they moved me 2 times (1 for wrong location, and 2nd for low disk i/o) ... 2nd time after I had given up.

Lying about the reason for closure of locations, I agree with you completely. But still, at that time their handling of the situation was better. PioHost may be a better host overall in spite of this incident, but only time will be the final judge.

• edited June 2017

@advarisk said:
    They wrote a mail saying what happened, offered a 1 month extension with same specs on another node. Dunno about closing account that asked for refund, but they moved me 2 times (1 for wrong location, and 2nd for low disk i/o) ... 2nd time after I had given up.

Lying about the reason for closure of locations, I agree with you completely. But still, at that time their handling of the situation was better. PioHost may be a better host overall in spite of this incident, but only time will be the final judge.

I think NorthHosts have shafted him a bit. Why was the power randomly killed?

• @Bopie said:
    I'm sorry but that was badly worded, We have never experienced this sort of an issue before so have no previous experience of dealing with it, this is what I meant by that comment, if there is an issue with you vps i would be more than happy to help you figure out what exactly is the matter with it, As you can see we have worked with the client like we are with all that are effected, in finding a solution that they are happy with.

I haven't even logged in to it yet, on mobile ... So no issues, just speaking as a worried brand new cuatomer :-)

• @GenjiSwitchPls said:
    I think NorthHosts have shafted him a bit. This is the 2nd power failure in under 1 month where the UPS/Gen hasnt kicked in.

Oh, it was Wigan? I'm a bit conflicted as the latency to India is good plus specs are too good a deal when it works, but zero customer support means I'm on the fence when it comes to renewing it (don't mind the price increase, it felt too unsustainable anyway).

• BopieBopie Member

@advarisk

If you do have any issue let me know, we have many happy customers and this is an unusual incident that we could not have predicted, I always work my hardest to help each and every client regardless of exactly how much they pay.

Thanked by 1ashkulz
  • BopieBopie Member

@advarisk said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    I think NorthHosts have shafted him a bit. This is the 2nd power failure in under 1 month where the UPS/Gen hasnt kicked in.

Oh, it was Wigan? I'm a bit conflicted as the latency to India is good plus specs are too good a deal when it works, but zero customer support means I'm on the fence when it comes to renewing it (don't mind the price increase, it felt too unsustainable anyway).

No, the product you have is located in Bristol, we do not offer Wigan now.