Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BTC Payment Only for Hosting Services. Why do some customers prefer BTC? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BTC Payment Only for Hosting Services. Why do some customers prefer BTC?

Comments

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb said:
    Is it possible to invent a new algo for crypto that is more efficient?

Efficient in what way? Process more transactions? Take your pick of any other Crypto Currency, and all can handle more than BTC at the moment. All depends on block size and time. Increase block size and/or reduce time and you can handle much more.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Just sayin'> @randvegeta said:

@xxlx said:
    Cryptocurrencies are the future so get with them or you will be left behind.

What makes you think this?

Even today, only a tiny minority of people use Crypto.

I reckon more people in the world have heard or read about crypto currencies than IPv6.
    and IPv6 has been a "thing" since, what, 1999? while crypto currencies were not long ago born.

I do genuinely agree that crypto currencies are the future, however I think they will be most dominant in the form of tokes for services (talking Golem type stuff)

@Zappie said:
    Just sayin'> @randvegeta said:

@xxlx said:

Even today, only a tiny minority of people use Crypto.

I reckon more people in the world have heard or read about crypto currencies than IPv6.
    and IPv6 has been a "thing" since, what, 1999? while crypto currencies were not long ago born.

I do genuinely agree that crypto currencies are the future, however I think they will be most dominant in the form of tokes for services (talking Golem type stuff)

Blockchain has many applications and it may even be widely used one day. But how or why could people be left behind? That seems rather unfair and punitive to late commers.

• @randvegeta said:

Blockchain has many applications and it may even be widely used one day. But how or why could people be left behind? That seems rather unfair and punitive to late commers.

Name one application where it beats something that existed long before it

@texteditor said:

@randvegeta said:

Name one application where it beats something that existed long before it

Having an immutable public ledger that is stored and distributed across the planet and verifiable to all is a powerful thing. In theory, the block chain cannot be controlled by any one entity so you could put data on the block chain and it would be an unchangeable reference. And it would be indisputable for as long as that block chain exists.

It cannot be forged, or amended. You don't think this is powerful?

• xxlxxxlx Member

@randvegeta said:

@xxlx said:

Even today, only a tiny minority of people use Crypto. The most popular ia BTC, which is not fast, cheap or even easy to use compared to traditional payment methods. Miners control the network and there is no indication that they will ever reach a consesus to resolve the know problems/limitations.

As a 'currency', BTC is doomed to fail as it could not even support the the transaction volume of Wallmart, let alone the world. As a clearing house replacement, or 'virtual gold'.. that might work. But what about Blockchain makes you think it is the future and if you dont adopt, youll be left behind? So what about all the kids today who cant buy BTC now. Or all the people who havent been born yet. Are they all going to be 'left behind'. Currencies cannot, and should not favour early adopters in this way. Currency is supposed to help people with commerce to help the economy move. BTC is highly deflationary and encourages hording. Is that good?

Other currencies are gaining traction fast and could overtake BTC, its not like if BTC is doomed all others are doomed, just check coinmarketcap if you dont believe me. BTC can also change its not like it can never be altered to accept higher amounts of traffic, there is still hope for BTC. What I mean is like this.
    Old people said, computers and internet are stupid/ They are now left behind. BTC at least now is something you need to learn to use. I believe the earlier you get into these currencies the better off you will be.

• xxlxxxlx Member

young people and people being born will grow up with the new currencies, like how young people grew up with the internet. They wont be left behind.

• DanielNUDanielNU Member, Host Rep

You can get a sense of Bitcoin relevancy by its market cap. It is 39 Billion right now. It might seem like a big number, but it's not. Bitcoin is still very obscure.
    Also, Bitcoin is very volatile, which makes it hard to use as a payment method.
    Cryptos, in general, are definitely the future, but for most people, it is just a pain to use.

• @randvegeta said:
    Having an immutable public ledger that is stored and distributed across the planet and verifiable to all is a powerful thing. In theory, the block chain cannot be controlled by any one entity so you could put data on the block chain and it would be an unchangeable reference. And it would be indisputable for as long as that block chain exists.

It cannot be forged, or amended. You don't think this is powerful?

You conveniently dodged the question

xxlx said: They are now left behind. BTC at least now is something you need to learn to use. I believe the earlier you get into these currencies the better off you will be.

In what way will they be left behind?

In theory, BTC CAN change, but what makes you think it will? Plenty of other Crypto Currencies are technically better than BTC and yet they pale in comparison with regards to usage and market cap. BTC is the defacto standard, and all other Crypto currencies rise and fall in line with BTC.

I'm not saying the failure of BTC will be the failure of block chain or crypto. But in many ways, LTC, Etherium and other crypto are already better, and yet they are smaller. BTC has the first mover advantage and it will be hard for other Cryptos to really get the same level of traction. The fundamental problems of BTC are still somewhat present in other Cryptos any way. Just to a lesser extent.

texteditor said: You conveniently dodged the question

How do you figure?

texteditor said: Name one application where it beats something that existed long before it

You want something specific?

Digital ID
    Contracts (and Smart Contracts)
    Proof of ownership
    Proof of existence/ authenticity
    Proof of an action
    Historical Record Keeping
    Distributed Storage

• @randvegeta said:

texteditor said: Name one application where it beats something that existed long before it

You want something specific?

Digital ID
    Contracts (and Smart Contracts)
    Proof of ownership
    Proof of existence/ authenticity
    Proof of an action
    Historical Record Keeping
    Distributed Storage

There is literally not s single working example of a blockchain-based alternative to any of these

You may as well have added "end war" and "solve hunger" to that list

• @hzr said:

doghouch said: and to the retards saying that PayPal is more expensive, f*ck that.

hey at least the buyer pays the $6/transaction fee with BTC and not the seller paying the $0.65/tx

What happened to the customer being #1? I'd rather pay a company the TX fee for PayPal and use it instead.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited June 2017

then...

randvegeta said: an immutable public ledger that is stored and distributed across the planet and verifiable to all

then...

texteditor said: You conveniently dodged the question

He answered the question spot-on. You can dispute the value of an immutable public ledger, but there has been no public ledger in history before it that has had this property.

Companies are experimenting with Blockchain tech for complex supply chain management, as one example. Of course this isn't home page news - not like the sexier BTC price explosions. But it can potentially solve quite a number of obscure yet important issues in supply chains.

Also @texteditor , if you don't like the answer, you can't just accuse someone of dodging the question if he answered it. You might be 14 for all I know - but you should learn how to discuss things properly on this forum.

randvegeta said: The fundamental problems of BTC are still somewhat present in other Cryptos any way. Just to a lesser extent.

I think cryptos will be modern gold, essentially. Gold has less practical uses as a material but is still the traditional go-to for wealth storage. Crypto could possibly supplement that or even usurp that role.

But just imagine if a country scrapped its central bank and put its monetary policy in the Blockchain. How would this country fare with this much volatility? And predilection towards completely uncontrollable manipulation? The Fed gets a lot of crap from Libertarians, but compared to what a leveraged free market could do to a country.......

Thanked by 1randvegeta

texteditor said: There is literally not s single working example of a blockchain-based alternative to any of these

You may as well have added "end war" and "solve hunger" to that list

Umm.. of course there are no working examples of this.. It's a new technology. But the point is Block chain can implement all of these things. It cannot solve world hunger or end war. That's just stupid.

There is actually some data stored in BitCoin's block chain now that are unrelated to 'financial transaction data'. But BTC cannot realistically be used for that since 1MB blocks are small and extremely expensive to process. But that would simultaneously make putting data in the Block Chain all the more valuable. Do you actually understand how block chain works or are you just trying to be argumentative for the sake of being argumentative? That's a serious question BTW.

doghouch said: What happened to the customer being #1? I'd rather pay a company the TX fee for PayPal and use it instead.

Me too. I would not pay BTC if I had a choice to use credit card or Paypal. From a buyer's perspective.. it's easier, faster, cheaper and safer.

texteditor said: single working example of a blockchain-based alternative

Sorry, I tell a lie. Smart contracts are a purely Block Chain based concept. A programmable contract. Not possible in BTC mind you, but it is the basis of Etherium.

jiggawattz said: I think cryptos will be modern gold, essentially

Yes this seems more likely. In which case, the current limitations of BTC may not be an issue at all. In fact, if BTC becomes more like Gold, it would act as a global clearing system. Services could, and would be built on top of the BTC block chain which could in theory solve most, if not all the current limitations in BTC.

So if you imagine that BTC is like gold, gold would be an entirely impractical means of paying for goods and services as there simply isn't enough gold in the world to act as currency. So you can end up with a currency backed by BTC in the same way most currencies were backed by gold. You obviously cannot exchange $1 for any amount of gold, but collect enough dollars and hey you can get your bar of gold. The difference being, with a public ledger, you can make sure that the issuer of your BTC backed 'currency' actually has the BTC available to back up their claims. It would be public, transparent and 100% verifiable.

Essentially, this would be moving small BTC transactions off the block chain, reserving the block chain for only higher value transactions. Much like a clearing house!

• texteditor said: There is literally not s single working example of a blockchain-based alternative to any of these

You are incorrect.

One example is digital ID: https://bitnation.co

This is not widely-adopted but the technology is being used and has not been defeated from a technical perspective. It works.

Nor is it completely unreasonable to think that records like vehicle history reports or property titles could be better stored in a blockchain. Just because governments move at a snail's pace doesn't mean it's a frivolous idea.

Thanked by 1randvegeta

jiggawattz said: Nor is it completely unreasonable to think that records like vehicle history reports or property titles could be better stored in a blockchain.

I'd give you a cookie, but that would be impractical. How about a free VPS? XD

• ChristianDSHChristianDSH Member, Host Rep

William said: The Chinese spammers use real data. They have nothing to fear.

For chinese they can write german pretty well.

• So with the prohibitively high BTC TX fees is there an altcoin contender users prefer for payment?

• randvegeta said: you can end up with a currency backed by BTC in the same way most currencies were backed by gold.

this ^

xxlx said: Old people said, computers and internet are stupid/ They are now left behind. BTC at least now is something you need to learn to use. I believe the earlier you get into these currencies the better off you will be.

I see young people left behind with computers as well. They're all using android silo services made to use without understanding. How many young people have any grip on crypto, let alone BTC? I don't think that's going to change.

It's not long ago that gold was used directly in my area because it's a gold mining culture here. But even then it was not everybody, and basically only the few on the inside of the "industry". That's the same as Bitcoin. Only a few will grasp the technology and participate at that basic level. The only future of crypto currencies involving everybody will be in some easy to use up front secondary version - much like credit cards today. - 2¢

• doghouch said: and to the retards saying that PayPal is more expensive, f*ck that.

No.

BTC is a fixed fee, Paypal is a percentage. Major difference on 1k$ payment.

jiggawattz said: Nor is it completely unreasonable to think that records like vehicle history reports or property titles could be better stored in a blockchain. Just because governments move at a snail's pace doesn't mean it's a frivolous idea.

Not only that - there is a blockchain system running already with some EU based banks to cross-verify TARGET2 and SEPA transfers, this is only demo obviously and not public (never will be either) but it is one field where it has major advantages as you simply do not need to trust the Iranian central bank has actually sent that wire (aside that eg. SWIFT is insanely insecure by design, as we have seen before).

• ChristianDSH said: For chinese they can write german pretty well.

That are primarily Russians, you see that on the wrong encoded ö/ä/ü in mail replies always.

No Germany/Austria based spammer would ever use German as language with a German host, and no foreign spammer would use vicsocks in DE to sign up and actually speak German then.

William said: No.

BTC is a fixed fee, Paypal is a percentage. Major difference on 1k$ payment.

But fees are set in satoshis, and with the price, even in satoshis, is rising, meaning the fees are increasing in cost in USD terms faster than the rise in BTC price.

Basically, for BTC to be cheaper than Paypal, the transaction would need to be valued at more than $100, assuming an average size (kb) transaction.

Bare in mind if you have a lot of fragmented coins, it can cost a whole lot more. I was moving around a dozen coins and it ended up costing over $50 in fees, and this was before the price jumped over $1,600. So it would be more expensive now (around $70).

And as the number of transactions grows, the higher fees people will pay to ensure their transaction gets processed quickly. For an inherently deflationary system, the inflation on transaction fees is staggering!

Thanked by 1elwebmaster
  • xxlxxxlx Member

Ethereum has more than half the market cap of Btc, when a few months ago it had next to nothing. I believe Btc will always be up there but there could easily be a whole new top currency in like a year. Ethereum also basically always is on its steady path of growth regardless of what the other currencies are doing.

xxlx said: Ethereum has more than half the market cap of Btc

The price of ether has jumped $150 in 1 month alone. That's a price rise of 3x. There can be no justification for such a price rise without a corresponding increase in 'economic' activity.

Most crypto price increases seem to be about speculation, and I would imagine that is particularly true of ether.