Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How you start your VPS hosting business?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How you start your VPS hosting business?

Is that by renting dedicated server from a big company and make it as VPS hosting?

Comments

• dwtbfdwtbf Member

Then you advert super small price and go bankrupt and scam ppl

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Before belittling the OP with snarky comments, I too am curious how some of you big wigs started... As a hobby turned into a business or working for a provider then venturing to do your own gig? Initially renting a couple dedis or colo'ing a few boxes?

• YuraYura Member

1 day more, guys.

• GravelyGravely Member

Debian Pls

• corbpiecorbpie Member

Yes, get a dedicated and split it up

• i can help you, wire me $5000 pls pm

• The OP didn't actually indicate any interest in starting a business.

However, @internweb, if that's what you were thinking, then you're probably not ready. Nobody wants to buy a VPS from somebody who is just learning, and they'll find out pretty quickly if that's the case. These snarky comments you're getting here are just from people being proactive. :) Stay tuned for more.

Thanked by 1pike
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • wow.. this post just made my day

• IshaqIshaq Member

I don't like to discourage people because everyone starts somewhere but my advice is to get some experience first before trying to start your own host as it won't end up pretty if you don't know what you're doing.

Good luck.

• corbpiecorbpie Member

Can wait in 11 days there will be an offers thread from OP

• Is there a 'VPS customer simulator' out there?

Most starters would be discouraged after 1hour of 'I am losing millions of $s in potential business' tickets.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

I was start my company in year 2009 and started it by using "Reseller Hosting" plan, My earning was $1 or $4 per month and I was struggling to pay fees of my reseller hosting plan. I was even sell hosting account at $1.75 for 1 year to pay my reseller hosting fees.

Later, They close their company due to overselling but I was lucky to move to BurstNET before 2 month.

Then I was start reselling VPS and Dedicated server of BurstNET but they did scam with me and asking me to pay fees for all terminated VPSs.. I was lose money but moved to ThurstVPS and stay with them for long time however I was not satisfied because of less control over VPSs.

Later ThurstVPS closed and hacked but again I was lucky and moved 4 month before their site was closed.

Later BurstNET closed due to their faults like slow billing support(3 to 6 days response time on billing related tickets).

After ThurstVPS, I was moved to Colocation but scammed by SpeakServers(You can find thread in WHT forum) however after few month their company was also closed but again, I was lucky that I moved to Leased dedicated server instead of colocation to a decent provider and I still with them.

I don't know how I determine that xyz company is going to close. I predict easily by their behavior.

I was even try to sell my company at just $400 in starting but I was change my mind and did not sell it. I was tried to sell it few times but I found that I will never sell it. Hosting business is my hobby. I love it to much.

• @DewlanceVPS said:
    I was start my company in year 2009 and started it by using "Reseller Hosting" plan, My earning was $1 or $4 per month and I was struggling to pay fees of my reseller hosting plan. I was even sell hosting account at $1.75 for 1 year to pay my reseller hosting fees.

Later, They close their company due to overselling but I was lucky to move to BurstNET before 2 month.

Then I was start reselling VPS and Dedicated server of BurstNET but they did scam with me and asking me to pay fees for all terminated VPSs.. I was lose money but moved to ThurstVPS and stay with them for long time however I was not satisfied because of less control over VPSs.

Later ThurstVPS closed and hacked but again I was lucky and moved 4 month before their site was closed.

Later BurstNET closed due to their faults like slow billing support(3 to 6 days response time on billing related tickets).

After ThurstVPS, I was moved to Colocation but scammed by SpeakServers(You can find thread in WHT forum) however after few month their company was also closed but again, I was lucky that I moved to Leased dedicated server instead of colocation to a decent provider and I still with them.

I don't know how I determine that xyz company is going to close. I predict easily by their behavior.

I was even try to sell my company at just $400 in starting but I was change my mind and did not sell it. I was tried to sell it few times but I found that I will never sell it. Hosting business is my hobby. I love it to much.

thank you for sharing your experience with us. Today, i know it's not as easy as looking people that successfully running this business without knowing their struggle in the past. Keep fight.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

See, if the forum hosts took me up on my offer, or you didn't use adblock then you will see this,

• @vimalware said:
    Is there a 'VPS customer simulator' out there?

Most starters would be discouraged after 1hour of 'I am losing millions of $s in potential business' tickets.

I think this might be a DLC for this one in the future:

Thanked by 1joeri
  • @DewlanceVPS said:

So most of your providers scammed your or closed shops ? Could this be because you went with the hosts with dirt cheap or too good to be true pricing plans ?

• Junkless said: So most of your providers scammed your or closed shops ? Could this be because you went with the hosts with dirt cheap or too good to be true pricing plans ?

Was thinking the same thing. And which would result in just what kind of service to your users? lol

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

Short(?) plan for start:

• Create LET thread for "VPS node". Include such requirements as DDoS protection, 1 or 10 Gbps, SSD etc... Don't forget to mention "as cheap as humanly possible";

• Get billing system: WHMCS (most popular), Blesta (cheapest) or any other. Branded version is OK;

• Get VPS control panel like SolusVM, Virtualizor, VMmanager etc. At least read few pages about how to properly manage any of these panels BEFORE you go live;

• Buy template from themeforest.com and put some text on your website indicating that you are selling "the best VPS in the world". Include keywords: SSD, 24/7, no scam, premium;

• Setup your dedicated server and VPS control panel, setup billing system. Don't forget to setup few fake support agents in order to imitate "large company";

• Begin a hunt for victims;

Jokes aside:

• Do not begin with VPS hosting if you don't know what is simple shared reseller hosting;

• Hosting business is hard and time consuming. If you still playing in a sandbox at a yard with your friends think about this. Plan carefully;

• Backup. Just backup everything you do. In case you deadpool at least offer your victims a chance to restore their data;

• Enjoy. Yep, if you think that you will make a living from hosting... :) just enjoy the process and don't be ass for your customers;

If you are lucky, you will last until summer ends. Than just sell out your project for 1 - 300 USD with "personal life issues" reason for public.

If you gather enough experience from your venture it will help you to get a job in DigitalOcean, Vultr or any other big hosting company.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

time4vps said: Short(?) plan for start:

• Add fake reviews from your "customers" to your website. Place stock portrait photos besides them.
  • Probably start by learning shared hosting environment and getting customers for same. Then expand your base slowly as you grow.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2017

I started off reselling :-)
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/90851/congratz-to-me-haters-gonna-hate#latest

Turned a profit even. Don't waste your time thinking you can't but rather finding ways on how you CAN start out :P

• corbpiecorbpie Member

A few tips i have seen happen on here:

• Have a vps deployed counter and exaggerate it beyond what even vultr has deployed
    • Become a mod on here so you can simply click delete thread on anything remotely negative to your company
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

corbpie said: Become a mod on here so you can simply click delete thread on anything remotely negative to your company

Is this real?

• @time4vps said:

corbpie said: Become a mod on here so you can simply click delete thread on anything remotely negative to your company

Is this real?

Seems you missed some of the drama / fake news over Ishaq and BudgetNode

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • @TheRealMakan said:
    Summer is coming.

It's getting pretty hot where I'm at

• @bluesega it's 2014, that one is olde

• XeiXei Member
    edited June 2017

With all the Summer host jokes... is there really much demand these days for new VPS providers? The bigger competitors have gotten down to $5 month for great performance / stability which I don't think new hosts can likely compete with? I guess there is still a market for even lower pricing but I can't imagine it's very large or profitable.