Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which one should i choose? OVH or BuyVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which one should i choose? OVH or BuyVM

teperteper Member

ovh vps ssd 3 vs slice 4096 @buyvm
have my own windows licence

Please recommend if you have any other option.
budget 15$/month

Regards
~J

Comments

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

OVH

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • teamaccteamacc Member

Just look at the specs.

BuyVM has a dedicated thread, meaning that you can use your cpu at 100% 24/7. OVH has shared threads which you can hammer quite a lot, but possibly not at 100%.

OVH has more ram, buyvm has higher connection speed.

• BuyVM any day

@Francisco

Have a slice day

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Thanks for the interest! We do include Windows in our pricing Incase you needed a different version.

Francisco

• @Radi said:
    OVH

I've had better experiences with AntiDDOS (game) than Voxility. @Francisco seems to have a lot of issues with routes and dead sessions, so I'm not sure.

tl;dr BuyVM for dedicated thread, OVH for DDoS protection.

@doghouch said:

@Radi said:
    OVH

I've had better experiences with AntiDDOS (game) than Voxility. @Francisco seems to have a lot of issues with routes and dead sessions, so I'm not sure.

tl;dr BuyVM for dedicated thread, OVH for DDoS protection.

Vox has been...troubled on the west coast affecting their users a lot. They decided to move from equinox to coresite and it's been a gongshow.

I've thought about adding another vendor to our filtering just for users that have a bad time on vox.

Francisco

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Depends if you want to be just a number(OVH) or a customer(BuyVM)

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Yup if its processing looks like the slice my be safer. Can't speak about BuyVM's DOS protection but OVH protected me a few months back and it was good.. no complaints

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Hey @OVH...

Oh that's right...you're too big shot to participate here on LET.

So BuyVM.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • AmitzAmitz Member

raindog308 said: Hey @OVH...

Oh that's right...you're too big shot to participate here on LET.

So BuyVM.

There is an OVH representative on LET. ;-) But the general point is still valid.

• desperanddesperand Member
    edited May 2017

AnthonySmith said: Depends if you want to be just a number(BuyVM) or a customer(OVH)

totally agree.

@teper try both and decide by your own experience because as for me, BuyVM very bad provider with a lot of constant problems which will never change. Network/hardware quality/speed/customer support/price are very bad at BuyVM, and if you will try to get exactly for what you are paid, be sure in one day one "good guy" can ban you because he doesn't want to provide for your full services and do his job. They have the policy to ban and forget about a customer problem and keep going by providing services for customers who is silence. Very primitive but effective business model to be clear while they have good communication skills.

Communication skills at BuyVM very good in terms of advertising their product here at LET, and this is only one good thing what I can tell about them. I though the issues above was related only to me, but I was wrong when a lot of my comrades experience the same.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

desperand said: BuyVM very bad provider with a lot of constant problems which will never change. Network/hardware quality/speed/customer support/price are very bad at BuyVM, and if you will try to get exactly for what you are paid, be sure in one day one "good guy" can ban you because he doesn't want to provide for your full services and do his job. They have the policy to ban and forget about a customer problem and keep going by providing services for customers who is silence. Very primitive but effective business model to be clear while they have good communication skills.

This is so broadly condemnatory that it's impossible to take seriously.

I've been a long-term BuyVM customer and I can certainly think of areas where they could have done better over the years - no one is perfect, except LET mods - but they're a very well-respected host and generally score very highly when we've done quarterly provider polls.

desperand said: I though the issues above was related only to me, but I was wrong when a lot of my comrades experience the same.

If you and them posted with specifics, someone might believe you.

raindog308 said: If you and them posted with specifics, someone might believe you.

I've had that argument with him on here, I've let it be since there's no point throwing it off the rockers.

He had issues on Voxility or when we had some network issues. I won't argue we've had issues with both as well as ones where I simply fuck the pooch on it. We've put down a lot to address that lately and maybe down the road he'll accept the offer I made for him to give us another go, free of course :)

Thank you to all those that have recommended us! Slice slice baby!

Francisco

Thanked by 1risharde
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2017

@Francisco said:

raindog308 said: If you and them posted with specifics, someone might believe you.

I've had that argument with him on here, I've let it be since there's no point throwing it off the rockers.

He had issues on Voxility or when we had some network issues. I won't argue we've had issues with both as well as ones where I simply fuck the pooch on it. We've put down a lot to address that lately and maybe down the road he'll accept the offer I made for him to give us another go, free of course :)

Thank you to all those that have recommended us! Slice slice baby!

Francisco

@Francisco, I have to say, this has been one of your best responses (no sarcasm). The next time I need something, I might just be coming back your way.

With that being said, you could sometimes thanks a fellow for recommending you. Just saying... lol

• XeiXei Member
    edited May 2017

In my experience between the two OVH a trillion percent.

I had the same experience as deseprand sort of.. just the network issues part. Their network was mostly unstable and erratic (packet loss) and they'd make up reasons... by saying it was on my end when I had dozens of servers with other providers without any issues at the time. I gave them a very long and exhaustive try. I've never afforded any provider as much time as I gave BuyVM. With that said... it doesn't hurt to try both. Providers are capable of improving!

• NetxonsNetxons Member

Francisco said: Vox has been...troubled on the west coast affecting their users a lot. They decided to move from equinox to coresite and it's been a gongshow.

I've thought about adding another vendor to our filtering just for users that have a bad time on vox.

Francisco

Looking forward and I am one of the victim in the west coast. I just submitted a ticket few mins ago for the Vox issue.

• NetxonsNetxons Member

Get a Slice for sure!

@Netxons said:

Francisco said: Vox has been...troubled on the west coast affecting their users a lot. They decided to move from equinox to coresite and it's been a gongshow.

Francisco

Looking forward and I am one of the victim in the west coast. I just submitted a ticket few mins ago for the Vox issue.

Yeah they're bouncing LAX through Miami (wat) for the time being. I'll likely have an alternative for people wanting it available maybe even this weekend. It'll be lower capacity though, but it'll be there at least!

Francisco

• m3gfm3gf Member

definitely OVH

• dont you think you can get dedicated server under $15/month with windows OS installation on online.net too.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

I would not go with OVH Direct, so to awnswer your question BuyVM

Or, If you want OVH GAME Protection, we can help out. 4GB RAM, 40GB NVMe on 4Ghz vCPU.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited May 2017

what location are you after? as @hostingbee trying to say probably consider alternatives. $15 is quite a budget if you bring your own license.

for europe netcup offers either cheaper: https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1550 or even more power: https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1556 (includes german vat which might be deductable)

or have at look at offers from @Ultravps which also have US and NL location: https://www.ultravps.eu/en/vps/?pdid=OB595E46555DO6331C64 (aff)
    and even leasweb comes to mind as long as they have their 20% off, the 4GB VPS might be a fit ;-)

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2017

@Falzo said:
    what location are you after? as @hostingbee trying to say probably consider alternatives. $15 is quite a budget if you bring your own license.

for europe netcup offers either cheaper: https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1550 or even more power: https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1556 (includes german vat which might be deductable)

or have at look at offers from @Ultravps which also have US and NL location: https://www.ultravps.eu/en/vps/?pdid=OB595E46555DO6331C64 (aff)
    and even leasweb comes to mind as long as they have their 20% off, the 4GB VPS might be a fit ;-)

+1 for Netcup :) The quality you get is great. Just keep in mind upgrading a vps is a hassle of a 20€ one time fee with them. Seems a bit outdated today but their setup may just be worth it.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

I been running ovh for my ddos protected personal project , so far not a single downtime
    in 8 months .vox ddos protection is pain in ass with constant bad routing and random small downtime of 5 to 10 min and also sometime packet loss . I have had bad experiences both in Europe through a UK provider and USA west coast . I will stay away from Vox .

• XeiXei Member

@hostdare said:
    I been running ovh for my ddos protected personal project , so far not a single downtime
    in 8 months

Are you using OVH VPS? Which location btw?

• YuraYura Member

@pbgben said:

Or, If you want OVH GAME Protection, we can help out. 4GB RAM, 40GB NVMe on 4Ghz vCPU.

You would not go with OVH??? Did I really read that now? But you obviously do, Ben. You are an OVH reseller, even. This is mind boggling.

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

Xei said: Are you using OVH VPS? Which location btw?

I am using direct OVH france and canada . No issues so far with protection or server , I have not needed any support ,so cannot comment on that yet :) product wise ok ok so far !!

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@Yura said:

@pbgben said:

You would not go with OVH??? Did I really read that now? But you obviously do, Ben. You are an OVH reseller, even. This is mind boggling.

I see what you mean, I should have been more specific. I would not use OVH VPS.. :P

• teperteper Member
    edited May 2017

@hostingbee said:
    dont you think you can get dedicated server under $15/month with windows OS installation on online.net too.

Online.net offeres this dedicated server Dedibox® SC 2016 with a passmark score of ~898. Will it be able to handle windows 2012?

Also they have these 2 VPS options
    VC1L 6 x86 cores 8 GB 200 Mbit/s 200 GB SSD
    €9.99 /month (Dont know where to order. No link)

C2S
    Enjoy the most affordable x86 64bit BareMetal cloud server on earth.
    4 Dedicated x86 64bit Cores
    8GB Memory
    50GB SSD Disk

I hope these are intel cores.

• teamaccteamacc Member

scaleway offers cant run windows due to network boot limitations. Stick with online.net offers for windows.