Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for offer: Los Angeles dedicated server - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for offer: Los Angeles dedicated server

124»

Comments

• @brueggus said:

raindog308 said:

It's not a ban in the "you are no longer welcome here" sense but rather in the "this username is incompatible" sense. He/she is welcome reregister.

I wasn't aware that we have different kinds of bans here. Did you let them know about the reason for and the meaning of the ban? Otherwise it's very likely that they'll sign up with a Chinese nick again.

So if I get you correctly, you don't have an issue with the person rather than with the nick you can't decipher (it means "I'm a small bee" btw). In that case a ban wouldn't be an appropriate way of handling the situation as the nick is still well visible on the front page.

We always tell people to get in touch with their providers first before opening disputes. Why don't we get in touch with people before banning them?

I mean they are all bans perm/temp. But what raindog is saying is there is different reasons/circumstances

This reason is inappropriate username. (Yes inappropriate Chinese on English forum is inappropriate) other bans include possibly me verbally abusing you beyond a joke which I don't feel like today or threatening DDoS to a provider.

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

GenjiSwitchPls said: This reason is inappropriate username. (Yes inappropriate Chinese on English forum is inappropriate) other bans include possibly me verbally abusing you beyond a joke which I don't feel like today or threatening DDoS to a provider.

You likely won't find either "brueggus" or "Genji" in an Oxford dictionary. Both words could mean anything in some ancient Inca language. Still noone considers these nicks inappropriate on an English forum.

I honestly don't like how this situation has been handeled. Leaves a somewhat stale aftertaste.

• YuraYura Member

@brueggus said:

raindog308 said:

It's not a ban in the "you are no longer welcome here" sense but rather in the "this username is incompatible" sense. He/she is welcome reregister.

I wasn't aware that we have different kinds of bans here. Did you let them know about the reason for and the meaning of the ban?

Why not get in touch with people before banning them?

Do they read forum rules? No? That's a pity but not a huge loss. Maybe next time they will read rules and learn even more things which would get them in trouble here.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • @brueggus said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: This reason is inappropriate username. (Yes inappropriate Chinese on English forum is inappropriate) other bans include possibly me verbally abusing you beyond a joke which I don't feel like today or threatening DDoS to a provider.

You likely won't find either "brueggus" or "Genji" in an Oxford dictionary. Both words could mean anything in some ancient Inca language. Still noone considers these nicks inappropriate on an English forum.

I honestly don't like how this situation has been handeled. Leaves a somewhat stale aftertaste.

No but it is in English characters which are easier to decipher for moderators than Chinese. Whilst I understand your point I am with the mods. Genji is a name of a character I know some mods won't know that but some might.

Yura said: Do they read forum rules?

Who is "they"? And how would you know?

• YuraYura Member

@brueggus said:

Yura said: Do they read forum rules?

Who is "they"? And how would you know?

People who didn't read rules and were banned. Examples are in this thread How do I know what? If they did read the rules and broke them intentionally then that's even worse.

Yura said: People who didn't read rules and were banned. Examples are in this thread How do I know what? If they did read the rules and broke them intentionally then that's even worse.

It's becoming fuddy-duddy now... The rules state: "Our language of discussion is English." One can argue whether the nickname is part of the discussion or not. My guess would be that the person who wrote that rule didn't mean to forbid any non-English nicknames.

To my mind, he didn't break any rule. Especially none which would qualify for a ban of whatever kind. (To my mind a "ban" is a ban - but that's a different story)

...oh, wait

Being a dick.

• @brueggus said:

Yura said: People who didn't read rules and were banned. Examples are in this thread How do I know what? If they did read the rules and broke them intentionally then that's even worse.

It's becoming fuddy-duddy now... The rules state: "Our language of discussion is English." One can argue whether the nickname is part of the discussion or not. My guess would be that the person who wrote that rule didn't mean to forbid any non-English nicknames.

To my mind, he didn't break any rule. Especially none which would qualify for a ban of whatever kind. (To my mind a "ban" is a ban - but that's a different story)

...oh, wait

Being a dick.

You are not a mod. You are not the "victim"/offender unfortunately you have very little control you can remain salty and nothing will happen. The mods see it as a violation and so do I. No active users have non English characters im sure French accents (I'm sorry if I've butchered this) do not exist. From my interpretation usernames must be in English standard characters, content must be English such as threads, usernames must be in English characters and not be inappropriate which includes "naughty words" in other languages.

Mods have spoken, user has been banned and you have been triggered. I'd call this thread.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

No more penis?

• @Nekki said:
    No more penis?

I mean, I think me and you can continue to be Dick's?

Let's ride into the sunset Richard.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

GenjiSwitchPls said: I mean, I think me and you can continue to be Dick's?

Let's ride into the sunset Richard.

'A Pair of Richards' - sounds like a plausible title for a buddy road movie starring two people that you know you've seen before on TV, but you can't think where from.

GenjiSwitchPls said: You are not a mod. You are not the "victim"/offender unfortunately you have very little control you can remain salty and nothing will happen.

I still don't like the idea of putting anyone using Chinese letters under general suspicion.

I'm not saying mods cannot sue or even ban people for what they decide is inappropriate behavior. In this case @raindog308 decided having Chinese letters in your nick is "not allowed" and banned the two accounts and he's perfectly entitled to do so.

• @brueggus said:

GenjiSwitchPls said: You are not a mod. You are not the "victim"/offender unfortunately you have very little control you can remain salty and nothing will happen.

I still don't like the idea of putting anyone using Chinese letters under general suspicion.

I'm not saying mods cannot sue or even ban people for what they decide is inappropriate behavior. In this case @raindog308 decided having Chinese letters in your nick is "not allowed" and banned the two accounts and he's perfectly entitled to do so.

Well history from providers has put them under suspicion many charge backs and bad behaviour many find. They are not under suspicion on here but their nick name must use English characters.

We cannot decipher Chinese characters, mods donate their time for free this is a method to help ease their work. I find that more than acceptable

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited May 2017

brueggus said: It's becoming fuddy-duddy now... The rules state: "Our language of discussion is English." One can argue whether the nickname is part of the discussion or not. My guess would be that the person who wrote that rule didn't mean to forbid any non-English nicknames.

I wrote that rule :-) And to be honest, the idea of non-English characters in nicks didn't occur to me at the time.

I can see your point, @brueggus. Earlier today I was reacting to a couple flags who pointed out it was a non-English nick and non-English language in the thread. We've had a spate of people posting in languages we can't understand, and that was my mindset. The poster had just joined May 24.

So first off, posting in non-English is not acceptable...we're not Puritans about it (people have exchanges and if I see a few old hands banting away for a couple posts, I'm not going to freak out) but it is a rule for reasons above.

But for usernames, I do get your point - someone could signup and use an unacceptable username in French or Polish and we probably would never know, so why is Chinese or other non-Latin character sets not OK?

Because we're LET and not Microsoft Forums with 1,000 staffers to review things and make official rules, we'll probably never come to an ideal situation. There are many names here I don't understand, and my slang + number name does mean something but is probably obscure for 99% of readers. @Nekki probably means "tentacle nonce" or something. I do think someone who signed up with an offensive word in Spanish, German, etc. has a much greater chance of being exposed because we have far more speakers of those languages here.

So here's what I'll do:

(1) I emailed 我是小蜜蜂 at his registration email to say that he's welcome to rejoin us with a different nick.

(2) If @Ishaq @jarland @Elliotj etc want to allow non-English chars in nicks, I'll add it to rules...at the moment, I'm not inclined to because of the abuse potential.

And before anyone gets any ideas, penis ascii art for nicks aren't allowed :-)

• raindog308 said: penis ascii art for nicks aren't allowed

You jut broke @Nekki's heart!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

raindog308 said: And before anyone gets any ideas, penis ascii art for nicks aren't allowed :-)

I did post a giant ascii penis into a thread once, I think it might still be around somewhere. Was pretty good.

raindog308 said: @Nekki probably means "tentacle nonce" or something.

Literal translation is 'hot air'.

Nekki said: Literal translation is 'hot air'.

And a looser translation is "tentacle nonce".

In French, interestingly, your name translates as Le Cunt.

• MJJ集合了

• @Rocky1015 said:
    MJJ集合了

Exactly.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Rocky1015 said: MJJ集合了

陰莖,陰莖,陰莖!

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited May 2017

@Amitz said:

Rocky1015 said: MJJ集合了

陰莖,陰莖,陰莖!

pls translate

google translated myself

• DarioXDarioX Member

@raindog308 said:

Nekki said: Literal translation is 'hot air'.

And a looser translation is "tentacle nonce".

In French, interestingly, your name translates as Le Cunt.

LowEndCunt?

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • didtavdidtav Member

this guy wanted a server and all he got is a ban hammer

• PwnerPwner Member

@didtav said:
    this guy wanted a server and all he got is a ban hammer

I mean, it's kind of expected when you join LET with a penis for your profile pic.

• ucxoucxo Member

@raindog308 said: It's not a ban in the "you are no longer welcome here" sense but rather in the "this username is incompatible" sense. He/she is welcome reregister.

Wouldn't that normally count as ban evasion? (Excluding that you sent them an email afterwards in this particular case.)

ucxo said: Wouldn't that normally count as ban evasion? (Excluding that you sent them an email afterwards in this particular case.)

Yes, but this is a special case...

Normally if you're banned, your recourse is to open a Ban Appeals ticket.

• admsamadmsam Member

@raindog308 said:

ucxo said: Wouldn't that normally count as ban evasion? (Excluding that you sent them an email afterwards in this particular case.)

Yes, but this is a special case...

Normally if you're banned, your recourse is to open a Ban Appeals ticket.

I believe he did not open any ticket. And just leave it, or he may already registered new account without your noticed.