Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostMyBytes: CRITICAL - TOOK MANAGED SERVER OFFLINE FOR NO REASON - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostMyBytes: CRITICAL - TOOK MANAGED SERVER OFFLINE FOR NO REASON

13»

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

Those horrible scammers!!

Wait you got a full refund?

Those super nice scammers!!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@KuJoe said:
    Those horrible scammers!! Wait you got a full refund? Those super nice scammers!!

The accidental horrible scammers who did everything by mistake.

Thanked by 2KuJoe netomx

@Nekki said:

@KuJoe said:
    Those horrible scammers!! Wait you got a full refund? Those super nice scammers!!

LEB hosts are supposed to be 100% perfect with 0 mistakes or else they are 100% scammers who ruin lives.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

I think it boils down to kids not being used to getting their own way and stamping their feet when the real world hits them in the face.

Thanked by 1jar
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@KuJoe said:

@Nekki said:

@KuJoe said:

LEB hosts are supposed to be 100% perfect with 0 mistakes or else they are 100% scammers who ruin lives.

Sounds entirely reasonable. That should be a line in the offer rules.

edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:
    I think it boils down to kids not being used to getting their own way and stamping their feet when the real world hits them in the face.

Exactly. This client expected a host to provide more than they advertised. No where on the host's website do they mention anything about backups, either the client assumed they had backups or didn't care until something happened.

Did the host drop the ball and terminate the wrong service? Possibly (without the whole story I'm holding off judgement since the client is very emotional in his posts causing him to post incorrect statements). Even if they did, it was probably a mistake they hopefully won't make twice and the fact that they offered a full refund doesn't qualify them as scammers. And not having a 24x7 billing department is the norm for most industries so you cannot fault the host for not providing said support on the weekends outside of business hours.

Should the host keep backups? In my opinion hosts should always keep backups to cover their own mistake for PR reasons (especially for fully managed services) but it's ultimately up to the hosting provider and if they don't claim to take backups they can't be faulted for not having backups.

• teamaccteamacc Member

@KuJoe said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Exactly. This client expected a host to provide more than they advertised. No where on the host's website do they mention anything about backups, either the client assumed they had backups or didn't care until something happened.

Did the host drop the ball and terminate the wrong service? Possibly (without the whole story I'm holding off judgement since the client is very emotional in his posts causing him to post incorrect statements). Even if they did, it was probably a mistake they hopefully won't make twice and the fact that they offered a full refund doesn't qualify them as scammers. And not having a 24x7 billing department is the norm for most industries so you cannot fault the host for not providing said support on the weekends outside of business hours.

Should the host keep backups? In my opinion hosts should always keep backups to cover their own mistake for PR reasons (especially for fully managed services) but it's ultimately up to the hosting provider and if they don't claim to take backups they can't be faulted for not having backups.

They can however be blamed for crappy managed services. Would not recomment managed services from hmb to anyone.

Thanked by 1Jinx
    edited May 2017

KuJoe said: In my opinion hosts should always keep backups to cover their own mistake

Well in an ideal world, but having to have a spare 100TB running and the capacity to move it around daily is costly and ultimately that cost is passed to the customer one way or another.

I have just been looking into the viability of offering independent automated full daily backups for an extra €1.25 p/month or weekly for €0.50 p/month as it happens, I might send out for opinions and see how well received it is.

@teamacc said:

They can however be blamed for crappy managed services. Would not recomment managed services from hmb to anyone.

Having never used them I cannot comment on their service but based solely on this thread I wouldn't say they are a bad provider (other threads however support this claim).

>

Well in an ideal world, but having to have a spare 100TB running and the capacity to move it around daily is costly and ultimately that cost is passed to the customer one way or another.

I have just been looking into the viability of offering independent automated full daily backups for an extra €1.25 p/month or weekly for €0.50 p/month as it happens, I might send out for opinions and see how well received it is.

I can see it being a problem if you're leasing servers like you do. Colocating servers makes it much more affordable for a one time cost of less than $100 per server depending on the hard drives the server uses. For us, bandwidth is the biggest cost for backups but local backups are free so we just backup locally and then rsync off-site at a throttled rate for the sites where bandwidth is more expensive.

edited May 2017

Buying 3 lots of 100TB of spinning storage and keeping it in 3 locations add's up maybe it's cheaper for you in the states where the power is peanuts compared to Europe.

I don't know where you could get 300TB of storage for much less than $8,000 and thats forgetting the power/colo/servers.

You might have a better formula/method I guess, but that's my perspective.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I've accidentally terminated service before when it was the wrong action. I guess I'm a scammer too.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • JackHJackH Member

@jarland confirmed scammer. SCAM.

Thanked by 1netomx

@AnthonySmith said:
    Buying 3 lots of 100TB of spinning storage and keeping it in 3 locations add's up maybe it's cheaper for you in the states where the power is peanuts compared to Europe.

I don't know where you could get 300TB of storage for much less than $8,000 and thats forgetting the power/colo/servers.

I don't know how many servers you have but if you look at it from a per server cost it's not bad at all. If you own the servers already, adding a 7th or 9th hard drive doesn't increase the power consumption by much and there's no bandwidth concerns since the drive is local, there's also no space added because it's inside the current server already (even a 1U server can fit an extra drive in it). :)

• williewillie Member

I've never had a managed server and obviously one must check ahead of time, but I would have thought backing it up would be one of the management services. Where else are the fees going?

Thanked by 1Junkless

@KuJoe said:

@AnthonySmith said:

I don't know how many servers you have but if you look at it from a per server cost it's not bad at all. If you own the servers already, adding a 7th or 9th hard drive doesn't increase the power consumption by much and there's no bandwidth concerns since the drive is local, there's also no space added because it's inside the current server already (even a 1U server can fit an extra drive in it). :)

Ah ok I see, you must be using fairly small boxes then, I have 24TB (usable storage) arrays in some of mine, not so simple.

@AnthonySmith said:

Ah ok I see, you must be using fairly small boxes then, I have 24TB (usable storage) arrays in some of mine, not so simple.

Doh! I forgot you weren't using SSDs. Yeah, that makes it more complicated. :)

KuJoe said: Doh! I forgot you weren't using SSDs. Yeah, that makes it more complicated. :)

Yep indeed, all new nodes will be pure SSD with a couple of big SATA's for local backups, it is the way forward :)

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

You want a free HostMyBytes VPS? I have one that's been active for about a year now unpaid... LULZ

These guys also gave me a nulled WHMCS key back in the days. I cancelled within a few days of indian replies and to get a refund, and when I went to get a new WHMCS key elsewhere I found out the issue with the previous key...

• i had a managed server they took mine down.

i just realized i am the one manages it so i should blame my self

• SmirSmir Member

sounds like a terrible host, stay clear.