Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostMyBytes: CRITICAL - TOOK MANAGED SERVER OFFLINE FOR NO REASON - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostMyBytes: CRITICAL - TOOK MANAGED SERVER OFFLINE FOR NO REASON

Comments

• vedranvedran Veteran

If it's fully managed, aren't they supposed to secure it and have backups?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think the most surprising thing here is that you trusted anything to be in managed production with these absolute clowns after this has happened before, after all the reviews and after getting that email.

You have done yourself no favours going down with a sinking ship.

I strongly suggest you move on, start to rebuild immediately and anything they can later recover is a bonus, don't be one of those guys that spends 6 months complaining and making legal threats you will never follow through with that still ends up with no data.

Best you can do is send them a guide on recovering deleted logical volumes from the vg metadata and hope they are not actually 12 years old, which I suspect they are.

People... stop using useless hosts for production and then complaining when it's a pile of shit.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@AnthonySmith said:
    People... stop using useless hosts for production and then complaining when it's a pile of shit.

But $GoodHost was too expensive!

• The only advice I can give you is

"Get a slice

Francisco"

Have a slice day

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited May 2017

@Jarland

Could we have an actual sticky thread with Hall of Shame hosts? So nobody will accidently go with these idiots again.

The summer is coming and im fearing for the worst.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@stefeman said:
    @Jarland

Could we have an actual sticky thread with Hall of Shame hosts? So nobody will accidently go with these idiots again.

The summer is coming and im fearing for the worst.

Think about what you're asking.

If no-one signs up with summerhosts we get no entetainment.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

stefeman said: Could we have an actual sticky thread with Hall of Shame hosts?

This sort of thing has always been refused because this forum does not take responsibility for other people's lack of due diligence.

Thanked by 2NodePing Ole_Juul
  • Oh well, at least there will be drama.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

What a difference a letter makes...

HostMyBytes -> LostMyBytes

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@raindog308 said:
    What a difference a letter makes...

HostMyBytes -> LostMyBytes

Thanked by 4deadbeef netomx bersy asf
  • Do all rapists wear big glasses like that?

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited May 2017

deadbeef said: Do all rapists wear big glasses like that?

Apparently, yes.

Thanked by 2deadbeef Janevski
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

I'm not optimistic, but: @HostMyBytes

• filefile Member

@angstrom said:
    I'm not optimistic, but: @HostMyBytes

Practice reckless optimism!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

It sucks that HMB lost your VPS but this is why backups are important, especially when a host doesn't advertise backups (there is no mention of backups on their website and the only mention in their TOS is "HostMyBytes makes no guarantees to the availability of its advertised R1Soft backups"). Even if the host did advertise backups, data is extremely fragile and if you put all of your trust into your hosting provider to have the data you need when you need it you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

And this is coming from an owner of a hosting provider that does offer backups, but I would say close to 100% of the restore requests we've had in the past two years were useless to the client because they needed data that was either older or newer than the backup we had available.

Thanked by 1hostdare
  • RalliasRallias Member

Nekki said: Apparently, yes.

They gotta see what they aiming and what they aiming at, of course.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2017

Demand a refund and if they don't oblige, charge back... assuming they were supposed to provide back ups as part of your 'managed' service.

Although TBF, every system admin will accidentally bollocks things up in their working life, it's only fair they do that as part of their managed service.

Also, obligatory told you so about backups.... and thanks for sharing your experience with this provider.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Those canned responses hurt my eyes

Alexander

Thanked by 1Monsta_AU
  • raindog308 said: HostMyBytes -> LostMyBytes

Thanked by 4netomx Falzo Ympker bersy
  • haruharu Member

Backups are too important to live without it

• IKIHOSTIKIHOST Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2017

@sin said:
    @strickly need anything else? Just let us know. We're here to help.

Lol, I also need your help bro.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited May 2017

@strickly "Please advise."

This video explains in detail what exactly happened to your server:

Run dude, find a decent provider.

Thanked by 2netomx asf
  • LunarLunar Member

Now that this is all over. Need anything else? Just let us know. We're here to help.

Thanked by 1Fries
  • FuslFusl Member

@Lunar said:
    Now that this is all over. Need anything else? Just let us know. We're here to help.

Yes, I need my data back because I forgot to take backups. plskthxbai

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • stricklystrickly Member
    edited May 2017

So whatever you do, as some already knew, do not sign up with this provider. I would ask LEB to not figure them anymore, they are a full scam, no managed anything, no actual support, no working phone line.

The bottom line is they will terminate your server by mistake, not know it and tell you that Billing is available Monday through Friday.

They ended up refunded me for the full period I've paid for and just to clarify I did not mean this was a fully working production server, it's been dormant before and I only recently had a friend setting up a website on it, with no time to review it and schedule backups yet, an incident that came with really bad timing. But as everyone noticed, it's their lack of support that made it much worse.

My advice to LEB: DO NOT EVER FEATURE THAT PROVIDER AGAIN if at all possible.

I never had this bad of an experience with a company, or maybe not in a couple of years, and have been through many that changed terms and conditions, migrated, got sold or decided to shut down, but it never got this crazy.

Thanks everyone.

• LeviLevi Member

At least you got your refund. Enjoy.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

strickly said: they are a full scam

strickly said: The bottom line is they will terminate your server by mistake

Which is it?

Thanked by 2jar netomx
  • BOTH, because they have no support and now they are focusing on managed services, just a joke. Read the full line "The bottom line is they will terminate your server by mistake, not know it and tell you that Billing is available Monday through Friday".

• NekkiNekki Veteran

strickly said: Read the full line "The bottom line is they will terminate your server by mistake, not know it and tell you that Billing is available Monday through Friday".

'Read the full line'.

Yeah, that cleared everything up.

• williewillie Member

strickly said: They have taken a managed hybrid production server offline

strickly said: just to clarify I did not mean this was a fully working production server,

Things that make you go hmm.

Thanked by 1JackH