Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The most premium and high uptime VPS for production use
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The most premium and high uptime VPS for production use

hzrhzr Member
edited May 2017 in Requests

My budget is $5/month (can be 10 depending on situation/specs/reputation), reputable provider only. No ovh, linode, do, anything in quadranet, oplink, buyvm, etc, please don't suggest these.

I need:

• 128MB ram
  • <15 GB bw
  • 2-3 GB disk (maybe less)
  • US West non-Los Angeles
  • Good peering/latency to AS64247, AS73
  • any real virt is fine.

Not really any other requirements. I am running only a TLS-client-certificate-required non public webserver so I need UDP 443 and UDP 80 (not tcp 80).

Comments

• jadenjaden Member

Vultr has US West in Seattle and Silicon Valley.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

increase your budget and we can start discussing HA VMs with failover to another DC.

• hzrhzr Member

Clouvider said: increase your budget and we can start discussing HA VMs with failover to another DC.

Single VM is fine, this is going into an existing cluster :)

jaden said: Vultr has US West in Seattle and Silicon Valley.

Both already taken care of, any other providers?

• bersybersy Member

How about SecureDragon? http://drgn.biz/

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @virmach special offers.. They have lot of package.. You can choose the available one..

https://virmach.com/special-offers

Thanked by 1VirMach
  • hzrhzr Member

bersy said: How about SecureDragon? http://drgn.biz/

They only offer openvz in the right location.

• bersybersy Member
    edited May 2017

Maybe RamNode/Incero in Seattle then.

• hzrhzr Member

bersy said: Maybe RamNode/Incero in Seattle then.

Also done in speedykvm, and CNservers seattle :)

Are there any less known hosts or something? Maybe in portland?

• bersybersy Member

UltraVPS - Vegas

NQHost - Phoenix

InceptionHosting - Phoenix

hzr said: Are there any less known hosts or something? Maybe in portland?

http://www.pdxhosting.net/about/datacenter.php I've never personally used them though.

• I doubt if Virmach is capable for being used in a production environment since their servers are kind unstable recently

• YuraYura Member

@Laxenade said:
    I doubt if Virmach is capable for being used in a production environment since their servers are kind unstable recently

Have proofs?

• LaxenadeLaxenade Member
    edited May 2017

@Yura said:

@Laxenade said:
    I doubt if Virmach is capable for being used in a production environment since their servers are kind unstable recently

Have proofs?

If you receive this email then you are on the DALKVM4 node which has been experiencing issues related to reboots. We've pinpointed it to a hardware issue but we are still investigating the part causing the problems. We will be benching this machine on Monday, 5/1/2017 at 3PM EST to test the various parts and find the cause. We will then attempt to resolve the situation on the day or schedule a further maintenance.

As I'm sure you're aware - there has been consistent reboots on the node you're currently on. We have been looking for a solution for a very long time for this particular issue, we believe we found a fix however we will need to bring down the node(s) for yet another reboot to apply it. The reboot will take place tomorrow, 5/5/2017 at 2PM EST.

I personally don't mind this kind of issues since I'm not doing critical stuff, but for someone that uses it in a production environment, it might be an issue (at least before the issue get fixed)

Thanked by 1Yura
  • hzrhzr Member
    edited May 2017

rivermigue said: Perhaps the single core option?

Have all of their locations, thanks!

Laxenade said: I personally don't mind this kind of issues since I'm not doing critical stuff, but for someone that uses it in a production environment, it might be a issue (at least before the issue get fixed)

Yeah I absolutely can't have any reboots - the application I'm running requires human intervention to start/restart and enter something in a keyboard interactive session. Suspending VM is fine, but if it actually does a powerdown it's not going to fix itself

• @hzr said:

rivermigue said: Perhaps the single core option?

Have all of their locations, thanks!

Laxenade said: I personally don't mind this kind of issues since I'm not doing critical stuff, but for someone that uses it in a production environment, it might be a issue (at least before the issue get fixed)

Yeah I absolutely can't have any reboots - the application I'm running requires human intervention to start/restart and enter something in a keyboard interactive session. Suspending VM is fine, but if it actually does a powerdown it's not going to fix itself

They used to be rock solid tho, just have to give them some time.

• BopieBopie Member

I highly recommend forking a little bit extra out and trying @clouvider network :)

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member

@Laxenade said:

Worked wonderfully for me so far in their NY location, like this:

7:15AM up 183 days, 9:17, 1 user, load averages: 0.21, 0.14, 0.09

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • tmwctmwc Member

@Gamma17 said:

@Laxenade said:

Worked wonderfully for me so far in their NY location, like this:

7:15AM up 183 days, 9:17, 1 user, load averages: 0.21, 0.14, 0.09

The email @Lavenade quoted was for the Dallas location though...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

hzr said: I am running only a TLS-client-certificate-required non public webserver so I need UDP 443 and UDP 80 (not tcp 80).

Webserver on UDP, are you sure you know what you are even talking about.

As for the topic, rebuild your app so it doesn't require highest uptime from any single VPS, and instead utilize redundancy across providers and continents.

• Bandwagonhost never let me down. Check them out. They're one of the few I've been using for years.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited May 2017

rm_ said: Webserver on UDP, are you sure you know what you are even talking about.

As for the topic, rebuild your app so it doesn't require highest uptime from any single VPS, and instead utilize redundancy across providers and continents.

Yes. All client IoT devices present client certificates for authentication, the servers all present pinned certificates, and transport is basically HTTP/2+TLS-via-UDP; the protocol has been used in production for a very long time for a lot of people: https://www.chromium.org/quic

It's already redundant across providers (i'm looking for more providers and some diversity, not one place to run it), but currently still requires fairly tight timing tolerances and signed responses may be invalid if they arrive >100ms later. After a device registers itself to a load balanced shard it'll stick to it, but DNS TTL and whatever will potentially result in lost data when something fails over / reconnects

• Gamma17Gamma17 Member
    edited May 2017

@tmwc said:
    The email @Lavenade quoted was for the Dallas location though...

Yes, ive seen it after i already posted this. Anyway wanted to say that i am quite satisfied with the quality of virmach vps-es, but yes, i am still cautious about production use because of the price too...

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • lionlion Member

@Saragoldfarb said:
    Bandwagonhost never let me down. Check them out. They're one of the few I've been using for years.

Damn i remember my time with them, had a vps with ipv4 for 4 or 5$ a year and it was never unreachable in the whole year.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

I'd probably say DigitalOcean. But I want to stress the only HA is redundancy.

You can have the most reliable company ever but there can always be circumstances out of their control. i.e regional issues.

• bersybersy Member

Saragoldfarb said: Bandwagonhost never let me down. Check them out. They're one of the few I've been using for years.

Yep, my BandwagonHost VM is quite stable too, but OP has clearly stated OVZ is unacceptable.

• jhjh Member

most premium and high uptime VPS for production use

Budget $5

• avelineaveline Member, Patron Provider

Perhaps you can use SingleHop, but it's too expensive.
    ~ 50 USD Per Month

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

@hzr i know Miami is east but would you run some tests on our looking glass there : http://lg.miami2.ikoula.com/ and tell me if that could do ?

• ImpactVPS and HostUS are solid providers

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Laxenade said: I doubt if Virmach is capable for being used in a production environment since their servers are kind unstable recently

Laxenade said: I personally don't mind this kind of issues since I'm not doing critical stuff, but for someone that uses it in a production environment, it might be an issue (at least before the issue get fixed)

Laxenade said: They used to be rock solid tho, just have to give them some time.

I do apologize for any inconvenience. I would like to go over the situation in this thread for anyone that is interested, as this is an isolated issue.

• A small portion of our servers were negatively affected, which we found out to be 2xE5-2620v4 CPUs specifically, combined with a specific version of an operating system, as well as KVM virtualization.
    • Our team did offer migrations to anyone that requested to be moved to a more stable node not facing said issues, however, I believe most customers were satisfied with their (1) week of automatic service credit per downtime.
    • Most of these nodes are/have been fully migrated to stable nodes. In any location where we do not have space to migrate everyone, we are fairly confident in our most recent patches, should the issue continue. Customers can still request to be individually migrated.
    • Said patches appear to be working properly as there has not been a related downtime on patched servers for two weeks. Many of the recent downtimes related to the issue have been scheduled maintenance / emergency maintenance and not unexpected downtimes.
    • We will be vigorously testing all emptied out servers (that were migrated) before considering putting them back into action. Hardware on these servers will most likely be changed or the servers may be decommissioned.

I do admit this took longer than we would have liked, but this was a very abnormal issue. The datacenter was also involved, which further delayed a resolution. With all that said, I believe it's unfair to state that our servers are unstable, as that makes it sound like all our servers had this problem. In the last two months, an extremely small number of customers were negatively impacted by these problems. This number may be relatively high to our normal downtimes, since multiple identical servers were affected, but still low. A server that was negatively affected would have close to approximately 99.9% uptime, as the problem occurred every few weeks and downtimes were handled immediately by our team.

Even with these negatively affected servers, our average uptime across all servers in the past two month has been approximately 99.99% or more.

Gamma17 said: Anyway wanted to say that i am quite satisfied with the quality of virmach vps-es, but yes, i am still cautious about production use because of the price too...

Rest assured that our pricing has nothing to do with the quality of our service. We may have some specials with limited customer support, but all nodes are managed extremely well by our talented, growing team.

Since six months ago, we have invested in many improvements at no additional cost to customers. This includes extending support hours during the nights and weekends, providing free backups on most servers, adding a live chat for basic inquiries, providing automatic downtime credits, hiring new support agents with more hours covered overall, extending our credits & refund period, upgrading our websites/portals, and fine-tuning our automated systems.

hzr said: Yeah I absolutely can't have any reboots - the application I'm running requires human intervention to start/restart and enter something in a keyboard interactive session. Suspending VM is fine, but if it actually does a powerdown it's not going to fix itself

I do want to let you know that all the nodes mentioned above were immediately locked off since the issue began, so anyone who ordered would be placed on a stable node. However, some downtimes are bound to still occur, even though the likelihood of you specifically being affected within the next year is very low.