Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using OVH Singapore? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using OVH Singapore?

2»

Comments

• I'm happy to do some traceroutes on my discovery if anyone has queries whether they improved the routes

• MaikoBMaikoB Member
    edited August 2017

@Edmond said:
    They have two peer exchange points in the Asia region with the same peer, Equinix Singapore and Sydney.

Sydney

IP Transit: Telstra and more on their way

Internet Exchange: Equinix IX, IX Australia, more on their way

Private Peering: in study

Singapore

IP Transit: TATA and more on their way

Internet Exchange: Equinix IX, SGIX coming in few days.

Private Peering: we already are in contact with few ISP

• @MaikoB said:

@Edmond said:
    They have two peer exchange points in the Asia region with the same peer, Equinix Singapore and Sydney.

Sydney

IP Transit: Telstra and more on their way

Internet Exchange: Equinix IX, IX Australia, more on their way

Private Peering: in study

Singapore

IP Transit: TATA and more on their way

Internet Exchange: Equinix IX, SGIX coming in few days.

Private Peering: we already are in contact with few ISP

Ahh... so you are getting better connectivity, looked at peeringdb and scrolled at the list, saw two that are in Asia..

@Rhys said:

@Edmond said:
    People always complain about the lack of routes for OVH singapore. They have two peer exchange points in the Asia region with the same peer, Equinix Singapore and Sydney. Depending on a single company for bandwidth in the region, they really should get better peers or IP transit like Telia or something..

Telia in APAC? You're funny.

Ugh.. keep mixing up the names... meant something else

• I'm hosting an OVH dedi in Singapore for some time now. Few weeks ago the latency from Europe increased to 300 ms. I opened a ticket, no response. This week the latency increased from 300 to 500. I opened another ticket, took 7 days for them to respond and they told me the latency should be 180 ms but it doesn't matter for me because according to them I'm not hosting an OVH server in Singapore. So now I have to wait another 7 days for response, if they respond at all.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2018

marvel said: This week the latency increased from 300 to 500.

Yeah if we check the traceroute, currently it goes from EU via the US then Australia and only then SG.

"This is due to urgent maintenance by the supplier on the C2C cable between the Philippines and Japan." http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=29233 http://status.ovh.net/?do=details&id=15255

As for why EU-SG link is not used:

"Link between Marseille and Singapor is down: more latency towards the Singapor's datacenter. The operator is working on the link. No recovery time planned for the moment." http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=29110

So if it helps to know, they are aware but largely can't do anything to fix it right now. Maybe only plan for more redundancy in the future. From your side you get the typical OVH support experience, as in, generally it works well, but when it doesn't, it can be like this. It's take it or leave it, i.e. wait for the fix, or cancel and get a server with a different host.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • sudorangersudoranger Member
    edited January 2019

@marvel said:
    I'm hosting an OVH dedi in Singapore for some time now. Few weeks ago the latency from Europe increased to 300 ms. I opened a ticket, no response. This week the latency increased from 300 to 500. I opened another ticket, took 7 days for them to respond and they told me the latency should be 180 ms but it doesn't matter for me because according to them I'm not hosting an OVH server in Singapore. So now I have to wait another 7 days for response, if they respond at all.

The fact that the french CEO can't even spell the country's name correctly will make you think twice about their presence in Asia.

@CConner said:

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

@sudoranger said:

Also:
    "...answer to this e-mail with your nic...

Thanked by 2sudoranger dedimark
  • Getting reliable cables across the world's busiest shipping and fishing channel is crazy complicated. Just be happy that it works at all when it does :)

Thanked by 1eol
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited January 2019

sudoranger said: The fact that the french CEO can't even spell the country's name correctly

I guess that's the French way to say Singapore.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapour

• eoleol Member

@NanoG6 said:

Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @NanoG6 said:

sudoranger said: The fact that the french CEO can't even spell the country's name correctly

Yes, you're correct. It was actually meant to be a sarcasm.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • eol said: Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

Sure, but that's not my point. At least you can Google it yourself that Singapore has other names: Singapour, Singapura,

Thanked by 1eol
  • @NanoG6 No, Singapore is Singapore. The other variants are just some language stuff. Just like the Malaysian and Indonesian called them Perancis but technically the country's ISO name is still France.

• Ok, I'm done here. I started to sound like some kid debating. Hahaha.

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • eoleol Member

Thanked by 1sudoranger
  • sudoranger said: The other variants are just some language stuff

Yeah I meant that, sort off

• Anyone know If they are good for commercial use?

• @iloveasia said:
    Anyone know If they are good for commercial use?

I'm using ovh from hostdoc,

indonesia, malaysia below 20ms
    hongkong around 40-60ms

still good

Thanked by 1iloveasia
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@iloveasia said:
    Anyone know If they are good for commercial use?

Uptime is great. Routing has been fixed the times I requested it for clients, haven't had a complaint about anything for a while.

Thanked by 1iloveasia