Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Anyone using OVH Singapore?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

Anyone using OVH Singapore?

moonmartinmoonmartin Member
edited April 2017 in Providers

I'm looking at their dedicated. Read something somewhere else that their routing is all messed up. It goes back to Canada and then back to Asia or something like that. Is it still doing that?

Are they considered low end or value which I consider a step up from low end? I need quick unmanaged support if a drive or memory stick goes bad.

«1

Comments

  • stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2017

    Yes we have one server in OVH SG.. Right now they have fixed "most" of the routing.. However everything from AUS/NZ and some ISPs from Japan will circle through LA making the pings from 200 to 300ms.. Other than those countries, the rest of Asia routes pretty well.

    Ohh, it should be noteworthy that Softlayer has cut all traffic to OVH for some reason and blames their upstream provider for it.. We can't connect SL servers with OVH EU and OVH CA.

    It appears the issue is with telstraglobal.net, please reach out to them as our end is completing. Our networking team has confirmed this and suggested the same resolution.

    All connections between OVH EU/CA and Softlayer SG have been down for 2 days now.

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Host Rep

    Most of the routing issues are fixed now. Singapore connection to most of Asia is fine at the moment. Speeds are pretty good too except for the US, most of Europe gets good transfer.

  • I got one of the dedis, routing isn't too bad just that i feel more improvements can be made with the latency to asia countries.

  • moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited April 2017

    I'm comparing a couple providers right now.

    OVH pings from US to Singapore are horrible compared to the other provider with same number of hops. Pings from Europe are better because they go through India whereas the other provider goes through the US.

    So kind of a mixed bag I guess.

  • Their routing will become better near future though.. In long term OVH wins in price/performance ratio.. and theres the Anti-DDoS which is obviously needed nowdays.

    Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited May 2017

    -

  • GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited May 2017

    -

  • moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited May 2017

    So I got an OVH Singapore server to try out. The discovery deal they have right now is too good to pass up even if the network connections aren't quite there yet. At least not until they add the Australia direct link.

    IPMI didn't work. No response to my ticket after 3 hours. Tried calling and just get silence and then eventually busy signal. The phone number was working a few hours earlier when I called about a pre-sales billing question. Only called that time because I never got a response to my ticket after 24 hours.

    Finally got a ticket response and the guy was like "send a screenshot". There is no option to attach files in their ticketing system as far as I can tell. I had already explained that nothing happens so a screenshot would be useless but it's like he never the whole message. He didn't bother to try answer my question about why their phones are not working.

    Is this the sort of customer experience I should always expect with these guys? If this was a live server I would have lost half my customers by now.

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

    @moonmartin said:
    So I got an OVH Singapore server to try out. The discovery deal they have right now is too good to pass up even if the network connections aren't quite there yet. At least not until they add the Australia direct link.

    IPMI didn't work. No response to my ticket after 3 hours. Tried calling and just get silence and then eventually busy signal. The phone number was working a few hours earlier when I called about a pre-sales billing question. Only called that time because I never got a response to my ticket after 24 hours.

    Finally got a ticket response and the guy was like "send a screenshot". There is no option to attach files in their ticketing system as far as I can tell. I had already explained that nothing happens so a screenshot would be useless but it's like he never the whole message. He didn't bother to try answer my question about why their phones are not working.

    Is this the sort of customer experience I should always expect with these guys? If this was a live server I would have lost half my customers by now.

    What region support? Canada support is not bad. And I think if there is no way to attach you're supposed to upload it to imgur or a image sharing site? Gyazo?

    I assume you reset the IPMI.

  • moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited May 2017

    Yes I reset the IPMI, incognito mode, firefox and chrome. Even different computers. I know the routine.

    Finally got through on the phone. They said there is a holiday in France today, so all those support calls are going to Canada and swamping them.

    The problem appears to be on my end but not anything I am doing wrong. It's just really finicky to get it working. I only managed to get it to work once. Seems to not like multiple browser window connections. I think that is what might be going on. Have never gotten the browser IPMI working and only got the Java IPMI to work one time.

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2017

    @moonmartin said:
    Yes I reset the IPMI, incognito mode, firefox and chrome. Even different computers. I know the routine.

    Finally got through on the phone. They said there is a holiday in France today so all those support calls are going to Canada and swamping them.

    The problem appears to be on my end but not anything I am doing wrong. It's just really finicky to get it working. I only managed to get it to work once. Seems to not like multiple browser window connections. I think that is what might be going on. Have never gotten the browser IPMI working and only got the Java IPMI to work one time.

    I just tested one of my Singapore servers and IPMI works so I'd guess it's probably just something funky with the IPMI firmware or on your end like they say. I'd just try resetting IPMI again, waiting 5-10 minutes and opening a ticket.

  • moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited May 2017

    I think it was that I was trying to connect to IPMI from browser first. It never works. So then when I try connect from java it fails because the browser IPMI is still trying to connect and it doesn't allow more than one connection. I have to wait maybe 15 minutes for it to time out before I can try again.

  • Bumping this thread as I just got a discovery on 50% off and have a couple questions:

    How's the Anti-DDoS in OVH SGP?

    Also @MaikoB, any news with OVH VPS SGP? :P

  • @caracal said:
    Bumping this thread as I just got a discovery on 50% off and have a couple questions:

    How's the Anti-DDoS in OVH SGP?

    The same as our other datacenter, no difference. Do you have any more specifics questions?

    Also @MaikoB, any news with OVH VPS SGP? :P

    Internal testings are ongoing ;)

    Thanked by 1caracal
  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

    caracal said: Bumping this thread as I just got a discovery on 50% off and have a couple questions:

    How's the Anti-DDoS in OVH SGP?

    Also @MaikoB, any news with OVH VPS SGP? :P

    SGP DDoS protection should be the same as the protection on their other locations.

    Thanked by 1caracal
  • caracalcaracal Member
    edited August 2017

    MaikoB said: Do you have any more specifics questions?

    Was a question about bandwidth but I found that info on the website already. Thanks!

    Hope internal testing is going well :D

    Edit: the IPv6 on bench.sh isn't doing that great

    Node Name                       IPv6 address            Download Speed
    Linode, Atlanta, GA             2600:3c02::4b           3.11MB/s
    Linode, Dallas, TX              2600:3c00::4b           2.09MB/s
    Linode, Newark, NJ              2600:3c03::4b           2.03MB/s
    Linode, Singapore, SG           2400:8901::4b           6.18MB/s
    Linode, Tokyo, JP               2400:8900::4b           1.58MB/s 
    Softlayer, San Jose, CA         2607:f0d0:2601:2a::4    2.59MB/s
    Softlayer, Washington, WA       2607:f0d0:3001:78::2    2.44MB/s 
    Softlayer, Paris, FR            2a03:8180:1301:8::4     2.00MB/s
    Softlayer, Singapore, SG        2401:c900:1101:8::2     5.77MB/s
    Softlayer, Tokyo, JP            2401:c900:1001:16::4    1.49MB/s .  
    
  • rm_rm_ Member

    answer to this e-mail with your nic

    I wonder which email to answer, I got no email :)

  • oh I wanna test that vps too..

  • CConnerCConner Member, Host Rep

    Hope the price will be the same as the normal VPS. A man can dream.

  • rm_rm_ Member
    edited August 2017

    CConner said: Hope the price will be the same as the normal VPS

    I expect the price will be the same, but bandwidth terms may not be. Even OVH SG dedis get 3TB bandwidth only, or 100 Mbit unmetered for a huge extra fee. So the VPS will start from the same 3 EUR, but will not have unmetered bandwidth, at least initially.

  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member
    edited August 2017

    @CConner said:
    Hope the price will be the same as the normal VPS. A man can dream.

    I really hope the price will be $2.5 (at least for the opening weeks), just like Vultr sandbox. @MaikoB is it possible?

  • rm_rm_ Member
    edited August 2017

    NanoG6 said: I really hope the price will be $2.5 (at least for the opening weeks), just like Vultr sandbox

    Why would it be? Why would they match some nobody-ultr's scam ("paper-only" plan, which does not actually exist as it's set to permanently out of stock)? Secondly, are you seriously so cheap that you can't afford the difference between that, and OVH's normal lineup price of 2.99 EUR? Just be happy if it will be the regular 2.99 EUR/mo (and hope for that).

  • rm_ said: are you seriously so cheap that you can't afford the difference between that

    LOL, not all LET user live in first world country. I'm not going to direct this discussion to that topic anyway :)

  • Hopefully pricing stays competitive with https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/public/virtual-server and Vultr.

  • rm_rm_ Member
    edited August 2017

    Well I don't live in the first world either, but the point is Vultr is like 10-100 times smaller than OVH, it is Vultr who should try to match OVH's offers, not the other way around. And if a 2GB KVM will be 2.99 EUR, is a very good deal already, no need to ask for even cheaper. BTW 2GB at Vultr costs $10/month, not 2.99 or 2.50.

  • rm_ said: And if a 2GB KVM will be 2.99 EUR, is a very good deal already, no need to ask for even cheaper

    I couldn't agree more! But I didn't talk about (high) specs in the first place. In my personal opinion I only care about pricing hence 256-512MB VPS is enough for me, with the lowest price possible :)

  • any updates on ovh vps?

  • When I had them a while ago, their routing was horrible. I don't know if they fixed it by now, but that was the biggest turn off for me.

  • People always complain about the lack of routes for OVH singapore. They have two peer exchange points in the Asia region with the same peer, Equinix Singapore and Sydney. Depending on a single company for bandwidth in the region, they really should get better peers or IP transit like Telia or something..

  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

    @Edmond said:
    People always complain about the lack of routes for OVH singapore. They have two peer exchange points in the Asia region with the same peer, Equinix Singapore and Sydney. Depending on a single company for bandwidth in the region, they really should get better peers or IP transit like Telia or something..

    Telia in APAC? You're funny.

    Thanked by 1rm_
Sign In or Register to comment.