Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndProvider in Nordic Coutries?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndProvider in Nordic Coutries?

HerrMaulwurfHerrMaulwurf Member
edited January 2012 in General

Hi there,

I am looking for a LowEndProvider/VPS/Webspace in nordic countries like Finland, Sweden or Iceland. All providers I recently found are extremely expensive and only provide colo or dedicated servers, but not those tiny VPS boxes everybody loves :)

Can you help me?
Best regards
HerrMaulwurf

Comments

• Nice spamming there DotVPS.

• fanfan Veteran

I don't know much about providers in that region but you should keep in mind that you should always warn yourself when you see the name NordicVPS .

• I thought those scammers are already in the Dead Pool...

• johannesjohannes Member
    edited January 2012

The one that comes to my mind is oderland, good rep in sweden. They have a deal with 128mb ram for about 3€ / month if paid yearly.

http://www.oderland.se/vps_mini (in swedish only)

• @liam said: Is not bad plus it's located in banhnof (braggin rights ;)).

swedendedicated? I was with them some year or so but it ended as pretty bad experience.

They deleted my vps by mistake without admitting it and then lied to me till I proved them that. Firstly they ignored me when I tryed to find out what happened to my vps, then they claimed that I cancelled vps but when I pointed them to whmcs email section without standard cancellation confirmation mail (which should be there among other mails if I would cancell service with them) they without a word of apology rather just partially refunded my last payment than admitting mistake.

@DotVPS there around are plenty .nl offers. This thread is specific - op search for NORDIC low end deal as those are very very rare but for some of us much wanted.

• Carstensz Pyramid has servers in the Netherlands is that would work:

http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/pyramidserver-com/

Disclaimer: I have one with them.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@drmike said: Carstensz Pyramid has servers in the Netherlands is that would work:

http://www.lowendbox.com/tag/pyramidserver-com/

Disclaimer: I have one with them.

I think @Aldryic does too and he spoke well of them. I could be wrong, but pretty sure?

Francisco

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

@Francisco said: I think @Aldryic does too and he spoke well of them. I could be wrong, but pretty sure?

They're fine although I'm too ethical and will mention that we seem to be having download speed issues again. I'm getting 135KB/sec on a network where I know I can pull upwards of 3 megs on a good day. (I'm hashing a 4.5 gig torrent at the same time though. that may be part of the issue.)

Was better yesterday. They're really good about support though. When I asked about swap files, they included a couple of links which to me is going beyond what they had to do.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

Netherland IS NOT one of nordic countries!
    Even germany, poland and half dozen others are closer... but still irrelevant.

The op is looking for low end vps hosting in one of those countries: Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden not some random european country which is same close to nordic countries as some russia or poland...

• drmikedrmike Member
    edited January 2012

Oops just checked wikipedia. Sorry about that.

We're just trying to help. :)

edit: I just restarted the VPS and the download speed has returned. Darn if I know....

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

I know, I know... :-) I just needed to post that before half dozen .nl vps LEB hosting representatives come here suggesting "some other location" :P
    It's really easy to get lowend .nl VPS (I have them 5 or 6 differrent I think) and damn hard some nordic. But I would really like to have some vps from Finland and Norway too :)

• @drmike said: edit: I just restarted the VPS and the download speed has returned. Darn if I know....

returned to? :D

I'm just curious. if you all "torrenter" said Download speed it's mean server upload or server download? because i can get 10mB/s (max out) download from x.x.5.2 VPS.

about the Nordic countries VPS. before we start to release the NL node i was thinking for making an investment in Sweden (since my aunty live there, so she can buy server for me and racking somewhere) but she said i should go to NL or DE for better more network. but she could be wrong.

edited January 2012

@liam - It's kinda like how it is in Japan/Korea/France/etc. You can get a full gig fibre line to your house, but the international speeds are VERY limited.

Francisco

• Depends what ISP it is. Some swedish ISPs do very well internationally. Gbit is only available in some towns though, most Swedes are stuck with (!) 100mbit.

@ liam - why would Scotland become a Nordic country?

• @Francisco said: @liam - It's kinda like how it is in Japan/Korea/France/etc. You can get a full gig fibre line to your house, but the international speeds are VERY limited.

France ain't that too bad~

It's mostly asian countries that basically do domestrict traffiq then crap out otehrwisez

@justinb said: France ain't that too bad~

It's mostly asian countries that basically do domestrict traffiq then crap out otehrwisez

Doesn't OVH run an actual ISP over there too? I thought they did so they gave 100mbit to everyone :D Or was that 'orange'?

Francisco

• In Iceland there are www.orangewebsite.com and http://1984hosting.com/
    Both offer lowend packages, but the price isn't super cheap compared to some lowendboxes.

Don't know how their service is.

There is also some LEBs in Switzerland, which is near the other Scandinavian countries.

What qualities do you want in the LEB? Bandwidth, network speed, etc.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

@Centaur said: There is also some LEBs in Switzerland, which is near the other Scandinavian countries.

Near?!!! Yeah, it's part of a same continent.
    /rolleyes

Thanked by 1DimeCadmium
  • There is also a few LEBs in Estonia, most of them route through Finland. And before you bash me that Estonia isn't a Nordic country, they have applied to the Nordic Council (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_countries#Estonia) and the capital of Estonia is basically next to Helsinki, just some ocean between.

Thanked by 1tux
  • Thank you all for your answers!

The reason why I need one of the countries I listed in the first post are the liberal laws regarding Freedom of Speech in those countries. I'll have a closer look to OrangeWebsite and 1984, but I fear OrangeWebsite is just a reseller from 1984 because the specs of the VPS are very close to the specs at 1984.

• @liam said: Maybe you can add scotland soon ;)

Yeh, we should also add the rest of the UK, Argentina, Cuba, South Africa, Nigeria, Australia, Japan to the list too!

Thanked by 1Spirit
  • Another one in Iceland to look at here, http://ecodissident.net/virtual-servers
    Not a LEB.

• Small update: OrangeWebsite is not a 1984 reseller, because they use both different AS-Numbers/DCs. But ecodissent.net has the same AS number than 1984, so I guess they are reselling.

• @Francisco said: Doesn't OVH run an actual ISP over there too? I thought they did so they gave 100mbit to everyone :D Or was that 'orange'?

OVH just started their ISP, they focus on DSL. Some providers offer 100Mbs in france but only center of big cities...

• ODERLAND VPS order is also in english (lang manu at tho bottom)
    https://www.oderland.se/clients/cart.php?gid=2

IPV4/IPV6, own AS/RIPE member and al VPS hosted in Sweden on west coast :-)

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited January 2012

Smallest 128MB RAM package with 5GB storage cost 249.00 SEK (36.6734 USD) yearly, corrrect? Do you allow private non problematic IRC (internet relay chat) usage?
    Test IP maybe?

• NP :-)

IP on 46.16.232.0/24 and several other near by

• Not really low-end maybe, but you should check out http://1984.is they're in Iceland, where freedom of "internet speech" is treated well. Generally, Nordic countries have higher prices, but these guys have OK prices.

• I hope this isn't thread hijacking, but I didn't want to open a new thread either as I'm not sure how popular the subject would be.

Anyway, I have seen a couple of threads on some forums including here that basically have in common that they'd appreciate a stronger lowend presence (in terms of what is being offered) in the Nordic/Scandinavian countries. My question is: if you could choose between FI, SE, and NO: where would you prefer a new lowend provider to be? Naturally, Denmark and Iceland could be included as well if you prefer going by Nordic Council.

Yes, I admit this question is both driven by business interest and personal, shared internet past with these countries dating back over 2 decades :-)

cheers -
    oz.