Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sell or keep?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Sell or keep?

So I bought this server a few year ago( https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/18370/crazy-price-super-micro-dual-xeon-l5420-for-sale ) its still co-located with Dacentec. I currently don't use this very much so i was looking at selling it off.

But at the same time I need a new box to run ESXI at my house so i was thinking about just having it shipped back to me and use for that. But I was also thinking about selling it off and then buying a bit newer machine off say ebay.

Anyone have any thoughts? or want to make an offer to buy the server?

Comments

• WSSWSS Member

$7

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @mitpatterson said:
    So I bought this server a few year ago( https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/18370/crazy-price-super-micro-dual-xeon-l5420-for-sale ) its still co-located with Dacentec. I currently don't use this very much so i was looking at selling it off.

But at the same time I need a new box to run ESXI at my house so i was thinking about just having it shipped back to me and use for that. But I was also thinking about selling it off and then buying a bit newer machine off say ebay.

Anyone have any thoughts? or want to make an offer to buy the server?

Sell it get another box at least something with DDR3 ram and a better processor maybe just a little upgrade.

• That 1U Supermicro will make an insane amount of noise for a home server. Unless you've got a dedicated machine room I'd go for a consumer PC with a quiet enclosure.

• @WSS said:
    $7

$7.1

• Yeah you probably don't want that server at home. I once (couple of years ago) had a Supermicro 1U server at home and damn, the noise that came off those fans were insane.

You're better off selling the server and getting a HP Microserver or something like that, they're extremely silent and can even fit E3 CPU's.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • Check out that Dell workstation mentioned in another thread.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@willie said:
    That 1U Supermicro will make an insane amount of noise for a home server. Unless you've got a dedicated machine room I'd go for a consumer PC with a quiet enclosure.

+1. Even if you have a dedicated machine room you'll still probably hear it in the next room over.

• If you are wanting to run a server at home then you aren't 100% fail safe anyway. Hop on Gumtree or Craigslist see what's about go pickup some old i5-2400 PC for £60.

• @trewq said:

@willie said:
    That 1U Supermicro will make an insane amount of noise for a home server. Unless you've got a dedicated machine room I'd go for a consumer PC with a quiet enclosure.

+1. Even if you have a dedicated machine room you'll still probably hear it in the next room over.

My NAS server sounds like a jet engine when it boots up. Not figuratively, I mean it literally sounds like one.

Not that it's a nice machine; it's just that there's a lot of drives, so I have quite a few fans cooling everything.

• @willie said:
    Check out that Dell workstation mentioned in another thread.

I saw that, if it was rack mount i would jump on it but everything else i have is rack mount so it would stand out lol

• Well i think the consensus is sell. Does anyone have any reasonable offers for this? and no, $7 is not reasonable.

• Meh, it's kind of difficult. The box would be more interesting with lots more disk space. Does the SSD use a full sized drive slot? How many slots does it have? Are they hot swap? Basic idea would be order some drives and have them sent to the DC for remote hands installation.

Alternatively, sell to someone who already has excess rack space and power at Dacentec and wants a small additional machine for some reason.

• @willie said:
    Meh, it's kind of difficult. The box would be more interesting with lots more disk space. Does the SSD use a full sized drive slot? How many slots does it have? Are they hot swap? Basic idea would be order some drives and have them sent to the DC for remote hands installation.

Alternatively, sell to someone who already has excess rack space and power at Dacentec and wants a small additional machine for some reason.

I can't confirm but from what i've been told it fits this description: http://wiki.dacentec.com/index.php?title=Supermicro_No-Bay just 2 3.5" internal bays and since its a old one they used to rent to own it sorta fits.

• Well, I guess you could check ebay for the hardware value. $30/m can get you a pretty good dedi these days, so it's hard to justify for single slot colo of a small machine. Maybe you could declare victory saying you've already gotten your money's worth out of it, and take the $7 that someone offered. The buyer should either be ready to pimp it out (say with a pair of 10TB hdd's) or have a cheaper place to rack it than Dacentec.

I'm in a sort of comparable situation: I've had a 2-socket Opteron server sitting unused in my kitchen for years, because it hasn't been worth the expense of colo'ing it compared to using budget dedis.

• @doghouch said:

@trewq said:

@willie said:

My NAS server sounds like a jet engine when it boots up. Not figuratively, I mean it literally sounds like one.

Not that it's a nice machine; it's just that there's a lot of drives, so I have quite a few fans cooling everything.

Sounds like you need some quieter fans. I only use Noctua fans now and every rig is nice and quiet :). So much so that I tend to just leave the fans at full speed 24/7.

• telephone said: I only use Noctua fans now and every rig is nice and quiet :).

Are your rigs in 1U boxes? Those can only fit small diameter fans, so they have to run at very high rpm (= noise) to get the same amount of airflow that a bigger fan would get at lower rpm in a 2U box.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@telephone said:

@doghouch said:

@trewq said:

@willie said:

Sounds like you need some quieter fans. I only use Noctua fans now and every rig is nice and quiet :). So much so that I tend to just leave the fans at full speed 24/7.

I moved my server into a nice tower case. Much quieter, cooler and more space for HDDs.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited April 2017

@willie said:

telephone said: I only use Noctua fans now and every rig is nice and quiet :).

Are your rigs in 1U boxes? Those can only fit small diameter fans, so they have to run at very high rpm (= noise) to get the same amount of airflow that a bigger fan would get at lower rpm in a 2U box.

Nope, 1U are not the best home servers (noise and cooling).

When you mentioned your NAS, I figured it'd be at least a 4U or tower so you can fit more drives... Or even a pre-made NAS box (Qnap, Synology, etc).

EDIT: Wrong person. Was @doghouch who mentioned a NAS.

trewq said: I moved my server into a nice tower case. Much quieter, cooler and more space for HDDs.

Yep, this is my recommendation for a home server unless you have a spare room where noise doesn't matter.

• telephone said:

When you mentioned your NAS, I figured it'd be at least a 4U

I don't have a NAS at home, just a laptop and a few USB drives for backup. All my heavy duty stuff is in data centers. The 1U server is the one that mitpatterson is trying to sell after (wisely) deciding not to run it at home. Dunno if the internals are worth transplanting into a different box.

• I might be interested in this but I will not pay a bunch for it. I would keep the colo as I have others there and recommend people looking for good network and cheap servers to check into them. Depending on what you want for it, we might be able to hammer out a deal of some sorts for it.

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:
    I don't have a NAS at home, just a laptop and a few USB drives for backup.

Get LEDE and an WNDR3700/3800. You'll have a nice little IPv6 NAT box that you can easily share large drives with minimal annoyance. It's not going to peak your network speeds, but it works perfectly well, is cheap, and very quiet. :)

• I haven't felt much need for anything like that. I just don't have much local live storage any more. It's all on servers. I bought a 500gb ssd for this laptop figuring I'd regret buying a 250gb when I ran out of space, but in fact I only have about 140gb on it 3+ years later and I could get rid of a lot of that easily (most of it is downloads). I have fairly crappy internet and the datasets I mess with want lots of cpu power (much more than my laptop has) so that's why I'm accumulating dedis...

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @telephone price for Noctua fans > Chinese fans off eBay :(

• @doghouch said:
    @telephone price for Noctua fans > Chinese fans off eBay :(

Peace and quiet = Priceless.

I'll spend $50-$100 any day versus loud fans.

• @telephone said:

@doghouch said:

True, but I've been considering just sticking a small mains fan; would be cheaper and pump a hell ton of air

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • @doghouch said:

@telephone said:

@doghouch said:

True, but I've been considering just sticking a small mains fan; would be cheaper and pump a hell ton of air

Want to pump some air? Get a forge fan (an electric one duh), those puppies pump the air in or out.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2017

@AuroraZ My cheap fan: less than 20W

Forge fan: 100W+

:(

• @doghouch said:
    @AuroraZ My cheap fan: less than 20W

Forge fan: 100W+

:(

But think of the air movement, THE AIR MOVEMENT!!!!

• doghouch said: True, but I've been considering just sticking a small mains fan; would be cheaper and pump a hell ton of air

You need the air moving inside the enclosure though.

• @willie said:

doghouch said: True, but I've been considering just sticking a small mains fan; would be cheaper and pump a hell ton of air

You need the air moving inside the enclosure though.

Hence the forge fan, pump it through a tube and bam instant air movement inside the case. Also looks all Frankensteinie cool, steam punk engineered.