Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How long till we actually run out of ipv4 addresses, or there price starts getting outrageous? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How long till we actually run out of ipv4 addresses, or there price starts getting outrageous?

13»

Comments

• @hostnoob said:

@AuroraZ said:
    The world will end and we will all be zombies. Strolling around going, "We need IPv4" instead of brains. It will be almost like Z-Nation, and there will be one guy who can save the world with more IPv4.

ChrisG?

Don't even, I can't, WTH is wrong with you man? I am not ChrisG don't even lump me in with him. For the love of pete.

• AuroraZ said: Don't even, I can't, WTH is wrong with you man? I am not ChrisG don't even lump me in with him. For the love of pete.

He wasn't asking if you were him. lol

• @Ole_Juul said:

AuroraZ said: Don't even, I can't, WTH is wrong with you man? I am not ChrisG don't even lump me in with him. For the love of pete.

He wasn't asking if you were him. lol

Then don't lump me in with him. I know the world will end with a Zombie Apocalypse, just a matter of time.

• AuroraZ said: Then don't lump me in with him. I know the world will end with a Zombie Apocalypse, just a matter of time.

That's what I'm saying. Nobody is lumping you in with him. :) You suggested that "there will be one guy who can save the world with more IPv4" and then ChrisG comes to mind. That's funny, no?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

AuroraZ said: For the love of pete

How is Pete?

• @Ole_Juul said:

AuroraZ said: Then don't lump me in with him. I know the world will end with a Zombie Apocalypse, just a matter of time.

That's what I'm saying. Nobody is lumping you in with him. :) You suggested that "there will be one guy who can save the world with more IPv4" and then ChrisG comes to mind. That's funny, no?

Maybe just maybe, know I am watching you two, something heinky here. -.- :P Might be funnier if it was Chris Fabozzi though. #Winning

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

@Clouvider said:
    @raindog308 a /29 ;-)?

I confess I'm not super IP-literate but I googled for the smallest block RIPE will assign and it's apparently a /29:

https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-555

Entirely possible I misinterpreted.

That's IPv6, I was under impression we talk v4 :-)

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Clouvider said:

@raindog308 said:

@Clouvider said:
    @raindog308 a /29 ;-)?

I confess I'm not super IP-literate but I googled for the smallest block RIPE will assign and it's apparently a /29:

From that link:

"The smallest prefix assigned by the RIPE NCC from any IPv4 range is a /29.

The smallest prefix assigned by the RIPE NCC from any IPv6 range is a /48."

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@raindog308 said:

@Clouvider said:

@raindog308 said:

@Clouvider said:
    @raindog308 a /29 ;-)?

From that link:

"The smallest prefix assigned by the RIPE NCC from any IPv4 range is a /29.

The smallest prefix assigned by the RIPE NCC from any IPv6 range is a /48."

Hm, surprising. Nevertheless anything below /24 would be useless since not routable globally.

• RIPE doesn't guarantee you routability of the IP addresses. They just guarantee uniqueness.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • AFRINIC has a bunch of IPs not used

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ethancedrik said:
    AFRINIC has a bunch of IPs not used

I'm sure @william knows for sure, but i'd assume you aren't supposed to cross region announce them.

Doesn't stop providers like host1plus but...

Francisco

• GamerTech24GamerTech24 Member
    edited April 2017

@Francisco said:

@ethancedrik said:
    AFRINIC has a bunch of IPs not used

I'm sure @william knows for sure, but i'd assume you aren't supposed to cross region announce them.

Doesn't stop providers like host1plus but...

Francisco

Yeah I've seen APNIC Australia IP blocks in use in the US before, all you have to do is show them proof that you own the business, say you need one or two /24s and that you have a network in australia but your business is registered in (non-apnic country here) and they'll give them to you and you can use them in the US. I'm not sure if they audit this or not

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited April 2017

Just a quick note to @William:

Have you had any malware on your site recently? MalwareBytes is flagging it, just giving you a heads up.

(updating my LE certificate, my apologies)

@ethancedrik said:
    Yeah I've seen APNIC Australia IP blocks in use in the US before, all you have to do is show them proof that you own the business, say you need one or two /24s and that you have a network in australia and they'll give them to you and you can use them in the US

That's APNIC though, not AFRINIC ;) AFRINIC might be a lot more relaxing for now.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@ethancedrik said:
    Yeah I've seen APNIC Australia IP blocks in use in the US before, all you have to do is show them proof that you own the business, say you need one or two /24s and that you have a network in australia and they'll give them to you and you can use them in the US

That's APNIC though, not AFRINIC ;) AFRINIC might be a lot more relaxing for now.

Francisco

Yeah I believe so, would be interesting to find out. There aren't too many VPS/dedicated server offerings in Africa so I can imagine they don't get requests for addresses too often

@ethancedrik said:
    Yeah I believe so, would be interesting to find out. There aren't too many VPS/dedicated server offerings in Africa so I can imagine they don't get requests for addresses too often

They do.

As I said, Host1Plus doesn't have anything in Africa, and yet has a /16 from them.

Francisco

• Francisco said: I'm sure @william knows for sure, but i'd assume you aren't supposed to cross region announce them.

They actually send angry emails and demand you to have a POP in Africa. Anycast works. As this was abused you now also seem to need an IX.

Will find later and post.

Francisco said: Doesn't stop providers like host1plus but...

Oh, they are litigated already anyway. Just wait some months more, not that methboth is clearly linked to them everyone from Russia to the US is interested in them... and Lithuania is no Croatia or Latvia in security.

• FlamesRunner said: Have you had any malware on your site recently? MalwareBytes is flagging it, just giving you a heads up.

Does that show also for william.si/abcd ?

It likely is my reverse proxy in Panama, the IP was probably used by warez before - can you recheck in an hour? I change it to IoM.

Francisco said: As I said, Host1Plus doesn't have anything in Africa, and yet has a /16 from them.

More. Far more. And there is others with similar, Mr. Heng Lu (aka "The Chinese") is still big business.

ethancedrik said: Yeah I've seen APNIC Australia IP blocks in use in the US before

If your business is INSIDE APNIC area you can use the IPs anywhere, if your business is OUTSIDE only in the APNIC area.

William said: More. Far more. And there is others with similar, Mr. Heng Lu (aka "The Chinese") is still big business.

Wacky.

Francisco

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Dear Friend,

I have inherited an /8 in Nigeria AFRINIC but need your help to announce it outside the country. If you can assist me with BGP, I can pay you a fee of a /24 as soon as it is geo-IP'd in North America...

Eagerly requesting your urgent assistance on this delicate private matter,

Prince raindog308.

• Francisco said: Wacky.

Totals more than a /10. Insane amount of money.