Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xeon E3-1225 (v5) Dell PowerEdge T3 Server , 8GB Ram, $349 (850 - coupon) Free Shipping - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xeon E3-1225 (v5) Dell PowerEdge T3 Server , 8GB Ram, $349 (850 - coupon) Free Shipping

2»

Comments

• @nekkid said:
    Hey guys, please do thank/rep me for sharing :) if you like the deal

Don't ask for thanks. Sharing is caring.

• WHATS UP GUYS LETS SEE IF WE CAN GET 50000 LIKES ON THIS THATS RIGHT 50000 LIKES SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON

• shellshell Member

not available in my country

• edited May 2017

@maldovia said:
    WHATS UP GUYS LETS SEE IF WE CAN GET 50000 LIKES ON THIS THATS RIGHT 50000 LIKES SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON

nvm vanilla is shit

• @nekkid said:
    I started working on a small DIY cluster thinking of using these servers, hoping people will chime into help with configuration, ideas on clustering and use to make it easier to use.

>

What workloads are you going to be running on the cluster, and what are you aiming to do with it?

Thoughts:

• The workload is going to dictate design decisions. For some, a GPU or a Phi is better then just CPU cycles. Some programs like lots of IOPS for lots of small files, or the datasets take a lot of RAM.
    • Slurm is workload manager to have. We've looked at others, and everyone is migrating to Slurm.
    • LMOD is the module system most people use to manage modules.
    • You'll need some sort of high speed cross connect for the back end. Lots of HPC sites use Infiniband due to guaranteed delivery and low latency, and historically Ethernet hasn't been able to match that, although a friend of mine claims it can be done.
    • Shared storage is necessary. NFS will work fine.
    • The main drive doesn't really matter, but some workloads benefit from having a fast local cache for lots of small files.
    • Ansible is a good configuration management tool since it doesn't require an agent.
    • Setup FreeIPA for centralized identity management. LDAP, Kerberos, Sudo privs, and CA all in one package with a web interface. LDAP and Kerberos alone is worth it.
    • RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux are very prominent on HPC clusters. You could run Fedora if it's just a short term thing, and I would be tempted to investigate using Gentoo if I didn't have to support commercial applications.

@jbiloh said:
    Would have been much more exciting in a rack mount chassis.

@ethancedrik said:
    Dell should make a version of this in a rack mount chassis, I'm sure it'll sell well once people become more aware of it

>

The rack mount version is the R230 (http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/poweredge-r230/pd).

• nekkidnekkid Member

@flatland_spider - you rock!! thanks for pointing me to slurm, LMOD you seem to be the only one who read the help request on the build.

We are looking for a poor mans devops cluster for websites.

I am looking to host websites @ our workshop basement with approximately 200 websites. (Dentists, HVAC, small gas stations stores, I am hosting both wordpress and IIS sites.)

https://pcpartpicker.com/ could you share a package - where I can understand and plan the prices.

• nekkidnekkid Member
    edited May 2017

Found another cheaper 199.00 deal, for the T30, Goto Dell Business

Dell PowerEdge T30 6th Generation Intel Skylake Dual Core Mini Tower Server (2016 model) $387 - $180 off with code 199T30M = 200 & free shipping.

If you do this right, with cashback you will get $11 back and you can use it for the mouse, or adapters, wires.
    Intel Pentium G4400 3.3GHz 3M cache, 2C/2T, no turbo (54W), 4GB memory, Intel C236 and 1TB cabled HDD.
    No Operating System
    Up to 6 total SATA HDDs (4 x 3.5” SATA HDD + 2 additional 2.5” SATA HDD (w/ expansion kit and optional controller card) Optical bay: Internal DVD+/-RW (standard on Intel Xeon configuration, optional on Intel Pentium configuration)
    4 slots: 1 PCIe x16 3.0 + 1 PCIe x16 3.0 (x4 speed) + 1 PCIe x4 3.0 + 1 PCI

if you like please thank me - I also posted another Xeon E3-1225 (v5) Dell PowerEdge T3 Server deal here

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Merged discussions - This doesn't need two threads.

• RizRiz Member

Use Ebates for 10% back on Dell websites.

• edited May 2017

@nekkid said:
    We are looking for a poor mans devops cluster for websites.

>

I am looking to host websites @ our workshop basement with approximately 200 websites. (Dentists, HVAC, small gas stations stores, I am hosting both wordpress and IIS sites.)

Ah, okay. That's simpler then what what people mean when they say cluster in my day job. :)

Are these all Windows machines or would they mostly be Linux?

Don't worry about Slurm. It's used to spread batch jobs across many machines, and it's probably not going to be useful. LMOD might be useful if you're going to deploy custom built binaries for things like PHP, Ruby, Python, or whatever, and it's good for testing different environments without messing up the base machine if nothing else.

Some sort of config management is going to be useful.

The T30 with the Xeon should work fine for a starter web cluster. Upgrading the RAM with a second 8GB stick would unlock the dual channel memory controller, and that will help with memory latency.

Linux isn't as sensitive to slow disks as Windows is. Windows hits the page file early and often which can result in lots of disk access, so moving the page file to an underprovisioned SSD is a good idea.

Here is how a SaaS company I used to work for had their web cluster setup:

• Load balancer which munged the ARP tables of the switch, so traffic would go directly to the cluster node. I don't remember the tool they used for this unfortunately.
    • Cluster nodes were PXE booted. They could bring a new server in and it would bootstrap itself.
    • Shared storage was just NFS hosted on a dedicated storage node. They were able to build up the storage node and keep the cost of the web nodes to basically procs and RAM.
    • Databases were hosted on dedicated servers. They were running clustered MySQL on top of SSDs.
    • Secondary NICs for the backend network to separate them from the NICs on the public side.

I would say database servers are probably a bigger deal then shared storage, since Dbs are performance critical, but a single disk is going to be point of failure. 10G Ethernet would be good for the backend network, but you could also get away with 1G Ethernet bonded. Trade offs. :)

There are lots of things that could be done, and it just depends on how crazy you want to get.

https://pcpartpicker.com/ could you share a package - where I can understand and plan the prices.

>

I can throw somethings together, and send some links to you. It will probably be later this weekend though.

Thanked by 1nekkid
  • nekkidnekkid Member

2 products 2 different markets/groups of people cheaper vs cheap :)

should I stop posting deals here then!

@ElliotJ said:
    Merged discussions - This doesn't need two threads.