Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xeon E3-1225 (v5) Dell PowerEdge T3 Server , 8GB Ram, $349 (850 - coupon) Free Shipping
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xeon E3-1225 (v5) Dell PowerEdge T3 Server , 8GB Ram, $349 (850 - coupon) Free Shipping

nekkidnekkid Member
edited April 2017 in General

Hello Low End Friends,

I started working on a small DIY cluster thinking of using these servers, hoping people will chime into help with configuration, ideas on clustering and use to make it easier to use.

Dell New, listed 820.00 - 191.00 discount = 629 - coupon 349T30 = 349 shipped!!

Dell PowerEdge T30 Mini Tower Server Xeon E3-1225 v5, 8GB Ram, 1TB HDD, 290W PSU @ $349 with F/S

Dell Small Business has Dell PowerEdge T30 Mini Tower Server with Intel Skylake Xeon E3-1225 v5 3.3 GHz Quad Core CPU, 8GB UDIMM 2400 MHz Ram, 1TB 7200 RPM HDD, DVD-RW, 290W PSU, 1 Year warranty @ $350 with coupon code 349T30.
Shipping is free and tax in most states.

Comments

• Holy shit nice deal man.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

Just the CPU with no HT. :(
    And the desktop chassis

Still not bad deal though.

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @Clouvider said:
    And the desktop chassis

8GB DDR4 and 1TB HDD brand new aint bad haha. Could always swap out to a Kaby or Sky lake CPU

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Clouvider said:
    And the desktop chassis

8GB DDR4 and 1TB HDD brand new aint bad haha. Could always swap out to a Kaby or Sky lake CPU

Yeah but it adds costs. You need to replace the CPU and memory with 16GB to be able to fully utilise this kit.

• @Clouvider said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Clouvider said:
    And the desktop chassis

Yeah but it adds costs. You need to replace the CPU and memory with 16GB to be able to fully utilise this kit.

It is a desktop more aimed at small businesses. So 8GB and a quad core will do

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Would have been much more exciting in a rack mount chassis.

Good deal Nome the less though. Thanks for sharing.

• Dell should make a version of this in a rack mount chassis, I'm sure it'll sell well once people become more aware of it

• FredQcFredQc Member
    edited April 2017

Same fucking server on Dell CA site is $1235,50 and coupon code not valid

We like to get ripped off here this side of the border it seems

• WSSWSS Member

@FredQc said:

Just wait until we start sending you "undocumented immigrants"..

• Fxxking great deal......

• Holy cow. Joesdatacenter.com raised its prices recently but they do minitower colo hosting. Could get the box shipped directly there and have a personal server. The cpu and ram are fine for that imho. But I'd want to put in more disks.

• chxchx Member
    edited April 2017

I am a bit torn. As a quality machine, it's a great deal. As a desktop it would give me pause because the proprietary PSU limits the upgradeability. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WZ8Q9W this here is a $375 machine with roughly the same parts with a significantly bigger upgrade potential (up to GTX 1080 GPU if you so want). Although if that Dell ships with ECC RAM then that's a bigger deal but it's not clear whether it does. The 4GB version says "4GB (1x4GB) 2133MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM" while the 8GB version has "8GB UDIMM, 2400MT/s, Single Rank, x8 Data Width".

• WSS said: Just wait until we start sending you "undocumented immigrants"..

Please no.

• WeblogicsWeblogics Member
    edited April 2017

@FredQc said:

$739.00 CAD which is still 2x the cost of US price.

http://www.dell.com/ca/business/p/poweredge-t30/pd?oc=pe_t30_p2&model_id=poweredge-t30

• @Clouvider said:
    And the desktop chassis

Agreed

• can be shipped to asia?

• hzrhzr Member

anyone know what GPUs/RAM is compatible in this?

• WSSWSS Member

@hzr said:
    anyone know what GPUs/RAM is compatible in this?

Click through, and it'll tell you. Seems like it only has a single bank until you scroll down.

edited April 2017

@andiklive said:
    can be shipped to asia?

No. Contact your local Dell in your country. Their offers and pricing policies are limited to particular country only. They don't ship abroad.

Thanked by 1andiklive
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited April 2017

@Clouvider said:

@andiklive said:
    can be shipped to asia?

No. Contact your local Dell in your country. Their offers and pricing policies are limited to particular country only. They don't ship abroad.

You could potentially use a mail forwarder but that would be risky, expensive and you'd have no warranty. Might be worth it to some, there servers go for ~$800 AUD here in Aus on ebay.

Thanked by 2Clouvider andiklive
  • WSSWSS Member

@trewq said:
    You could potentially use a mail forwarder but that would be risky, expensive and you'd have no warranty. Might be worth it to some, there servers go for ~$800 AUD here in Aus on ebay.

Welp someone is getting a "mental accent" when reading them from here on out. Need some Ford or Chevy parts? I'd be happy to trade for a 'ute!

• edited April 2017

@trewq said:

@Clouvider said:

@andiklive said:
    can be shipped to asia?

Ive stalked these forums for seemingly years and your an aussie? really? Would have never guessed.

• WSSWSS Member

@Michael_NewEra said:

@trewq said:

@Clouvider said:

@andiklive said:
    can be shipped to asia?

Ive stalked these forums for seemingly years and your an aussie? really? Would have never guessed.

That explains the bizarre keyboard layout, tho..

Thanked by 1Michael_NewEra
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I am fairly sure you could find a way to put the guts in a rack mount chassis.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I am fairly sure you could find a way to put the guts in a rack mount chassis.

Dell do like their proprietary stuff. But nothing is impossible

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

GenjiSwitchPls said: But nothing is impossible

Marked by the dragon!

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • @trewq said:

@Clouvider said:

@andiklive said:
    can be shipped to asia?

ah, they dont offer it to my country. :(

• WSSWSS Member

@trewq said:

I neglected to mention that I have successfully had Dell modify my warranty when I went through different countries in the past. They may have changed it since then, but I did manage to get service in Latin America with a US-purchased machine. I had to fax them a change of address form and prove ownership, but I eventually got the machine fixed under warranty within a couple weeks' time.

Thanked by 1nekkid
  • SirWuffletonSirWuffleton Member
    edited April 2017

Nice find on this coupon code!

Though on the specs it's in no way clearly marked and some other people in this thread raised the question, I just wanted to confirm that mine shipped with ECC memory (1 stick of Hynix HMA81GU7AFR8N-UH to be exact).

Dell's KB also seems to imply that the Xeon model only ships with ECC memory configurations judging by the table on their OS support page for the T30: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/QNA44037/poweredge-t30-----os-support-with-various-t30-configurations?lang=EN

So if you're still on the fence, I'd say go for it! It's a zippy little machine that's pretty darn quiet under most of the test workloads I've thrown at it.

And regarding the OP's idea to run some of these as a DIY cluster, I feel like these would work reasonably well for that. Recent Linuxes seem to be pretty well supported out of the box on this machine, so I'd imagine that as long as whatever Cluster OS you're planning to use supports Skylake hardware, there shouldn't be any major issues.

Though I haven't personally dabbled with clustering in any degree, aside from possible RAM/HDD upgrades to suit your memory and storage needs, you may also need an add-in NIC depending on what sort of inter-node throughput, latency, and redundancy you're looking for as the T30 only comes with a single 1GBe port being a SMB system.

As long as you aren't going crazy on the load where you're expecting to be pushing almost all nodes to their limits you probably won't miss HT too incredibly much on the CPU - the E3-1225 V5 is a pretty good chip despite being an entry-level Xeon and I'd say for most applications other (less costly) hardware upgrades would make a more sizeable performance difference unless your workload is specifically CPU-bound.

An interesting thing I noticed is that the board on these seems to have an unpopulated ATX 24-pin PSU header on them. While definitely not a mod for the faint of heart or inexperienced at soldering, there's a remote chance these boards could be coerced to accept a standard PSU. I'm personally not ballsy enough to take the risk at attempting that myself though without reverse-engineering the board to ensure it's safe to do in the case of missing components required to support that configuration.

Thanked by 1nekkid
  • nekkidnekkid Member
    edited April 2017

Hey guys, please do thank/rep me for sharing :) if you like the deal

Thanked by 1flatland_spider