Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any other offloaded MySQL services?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any other offloaded MySQL services?

Buting58Buting58 Member
edited January 2012 in General

Hey LHT,
I currently use BuyVM's offloaded MySQL service which has been great, but I recently ran into a problem installing Xenforo using their offloaded database, and ran into a ton of errors related to mysql queries and a failed install. I just setup MySQL 5 on the vps and Xenforo then installed without a hitch.

BuyVM's offloaded MySQL service uses the percona fork of MySQL 5.1, which is not a bad choice, and seems to work with wordpress among other popular CMS choices. I was just curious, are there any other Offloaded MySQL services out there?

Comments

• LOL LHT

Well, if you are looking for a VPS service plus the MySQL service in the same datacenter, I haven't found anything else.

But I guess there are some MySQL hosting services out there, not sure.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

grab another leb and run the db on that, simple and works.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

You should drop by IRC and we can lend an ear/other body part to see why xenforo didn't play nice :)

Percona works quite well and gives a fairly nice performance boost.

Francisco

• Interesting, out of curiosity what kind of errors were you getting? Probably very easily fixable, I've never had a compatibility issue running Xenforo under Percona or MariaDB.

It's possible xenforo uses 'views' which aren't enabled by default since it requires access to the SUPERADMIN flag in mysql (maybe it has changed since then?)

I know we had someone log a ticket about needing access to VIEWS, but i'm not sure if it was the OP.

Francisco

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2012

Does buyvm offloaded mysql enable Innodb storage engine ? AFAIK, Xenforo by default creates tables using InnoDB storage engine as opposed to MyISAM. But IIRC Xenforo should install fine with 100% MyISAM tables (InnoDB disabled).

InnoDB is supported no problem.

We're looking to upgrade MySQL to 5.5 sometime next week that way VIEWS/TRIGGERS are supported as well.

Francisco

• Why other VPS providers don't offer offloaded MySQL servers? Do they lose money on it? Like, if someone knows they need to run MySQL will they order a larger VPS or maybe a second VPS altogether?

Do you guys charge for yours? @Francisco

• @Naruto said: Do you guys charge for yours?

1,00$/mo. We originally offered Offloaded SQL back when we specialized in hosting gameservers (primarily Ragnarok Online). The offloaded SQL remained popular even when we opened up BuyVM, so we decided to continue offering it as a convenience.

edited January 2012

@Naruto said: Why other VPS providers don't offer offloaded MySQL servers? Do they lose money on it? Like, if someone knows they need to run MySQL will they order a larger VPS or maybe a second VPS altogether?

Do you guys charge for yours? @Francisco

I'd much rather have users blow out a box designed for the heavy loads than running heavily unoptimized SQL queries on customer nodes and then we have to bust balls. We might lose monthly cash, but the lower support load because of someones heavily unoptimized SQL setup helps us greatly. If anything, it has helped us keep many large customers that would have had to leave for a dedicated server setup simply because of our shared SQL. Dregond on IRC would have easily needed a dual dedi setup just to cope with his site.

Hosts aren't going to offer it since it isn't a money maker. How many hosts are going to dedicate a dual quad w/ a RAID 10 + cPanel license to make $100/m? Very very few. We had the gear spare and saw it as a good sacrifice to gain an around boost performance, stability & bang/buck for the customers :)

Francisco

• Well I guess if a provider is wanting some more clients they could do what you guys did. You make less from people using your share (which they still pay a small, reasonable fee for) but because of that discount you might get more customers. I can only imagine how much less the load would be on people's nodes if all those customers didn't have to run their own MySQL server.

Not everyone buys our shared, but there are times we force people to buy it if they're not willing to address their own SQL issues.

Some people get upset that we're forcing them, but it's that or they pack up and leave.

No one should be allowed to rip 200 iops/sec on a $15/y.

Francisco

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I think it's a genius idea and one I've mentioned to my partner on multiple occasions (to much on my plate at the moment to even consider executing this though). It makes a lot of sense too because when I check any of our nodes (minus our Backup VPS nodes) MySQL is usually one of the biggest offenders. The $1/month is a good price point also if you disable external connections.

We actually allow external connections since we have flat rate BW.

We know there's users that are using it external in their SQL clusters but for now it's not a big enough issue to bother ourselves with.

Francisco

• Francisco: It's awesome that you guys use Percona on your shared SQL server.

What are the restrictions for shared SQL (EX: db size, concurrent connections...)?

Right now we limit things to 10GB space, total, per account for SQL. This limit can be boosted if you simply ask though.

There's no limit on connections.

• @Francisco what's the load look like on your SQL server out of curiosity.

root@addons01 [/]# mysqladmin status
    Uptime: 2858647  Threads: 191  Questions: 1604644724  Slow queries: 11252  
    Opens:     6659366  Flush tables: 1  Open tables: 4096  
    Queries per second avg: 561.330

root@addons01 [/]# uptime
     01:39:58 up 33 days,  2:04,  0 users,  load average: 1.13, 0.97, 0.96

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited January 2012

Damn, I can take a big bite of that, that is about... 48 million of queries per day. My main mysql has 3.5 million queries per day.

That 4096 is just a coincidence? Or probably you reached some limit in open tables? That's can be bad :P

$ mysqladmin status
    Uptime: 4327862  Threads: 7  Questions: 185675695  Slow queries: 113  Opens: 1067  Flush tables: 1  Open tables: 296  Queries per second avg: 42.902

Cool tool hehe

The 4096 is what we cap open tables at :)

Francisco

• Lot of slow queries!

Maybe, but for 33 days it isn't too bad. It's likely just someones long crons/cleanups.

The box is a simple software RAID10 as it didn't justify something bigger. If we someday increase to 800 - 900q/s i'll get a decent RAID card behind it with an SSD cache to help a bit more :) The box is small for the time being but people enjoy it.

I think if we offered the service for free we'd see a lot of people crap their pants but I can't see the guys approving of that idea.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: but I can't see the guys approving of that idea

It's more a convenience than anything. But I would at least like the box to pay for itself <_<

The biggest problem with free services is that they tend to attract all sorts of abuse. Even something as minimal as a 1,00$ charge keeps a lot of unsavory types from screwing things up for everyone else.

• @Francisco said: The 4096 is what we cap open tables at :)

Francisco

not bad stats, what's the make up of storage engine table usage like for myisam vs innodb. If majority is myisam, maybe MariaDB 5.2.x would be better than Percona http://vbtechsupport.com/606/ :)

• @Francisco @Aldryic any plans to bring SP (Stored Procedures) to mysql and also PostgreSQL with triggers and SP's.

Thanks.

• Damn, the last adblock for chrome breaks a lot of sites for me.

But after disabling, still I can't load some images in that link u_u

What a big article =) and a big server :P

@thekreek - I figured SP's were working in MySQL, I'll check into that right now :)

As for PostgreSQL, if there's demand, we'll bring it in :) I'll look into the best way to 'hold a vote' for features.

Francisco

@thekreek - See if you have access to EXECUTE and such on your users now.

@eva2000 - That looks nice but MySQL 5.5 is now defaulting to innodb so percona is going to be a much better option. We hope to roll up to 5.5 sometime in the next week, we'll announce 24 - 48 hours in advance.

Francisco

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2012

@yomero said: Damn, the last adblock for chrome breaks a lot of sites for me.

But after disabling, still I can't load some images in that link u_u

What a big article =) and a big server :P

wierd using chrome here and images load fine heh

Francisco, while MySQL 5.5 defaults to Innodb doesn't necessarily mean you should too. You can default it to MyISAM but keep InnoDB support enabled.

Took some convincing http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/mysql-5-5-ga-178651-p2.html#post906031 but WHM/Cpanel will have 5.5 in 11.32 but default it to MyISAM and leave it up to end users to switch/convert to InnoDB http://forums.cpanel.net/f145/mysql-5-5-ga-178651-p2.html#post949362

Touche @eva2000 - we'll probably keep it off innodb either way.

We're getting more and more users using innodb though so we gotta really look into that.

Francisco