Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free VPS server - 600MB RAM/1Ghz/30GB Storage/15GB Bandwidth!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free VPS server - 600MB RAM/1Ghz/30GB Storage/15GB Bandwidth!

asterisk14asterisk14 Member
edited June 2013 in General

I have a question. A lot of people come here looking for a very cheap VPS and even ask for a free VPS. There's loads of people on FReeVPS.us asking for a free VPS. Usually these are individuals that just want to play with a VPS, like myself, and not hard core VPS users. You get ~600MB/1GHz/30GBHDD/15GB bandwidth VPS all for free for a entire year. You can even use WIndows server on this EC2 for free for a year so not just stuck with Linux. I don't understand why they don't sign up for the Amazon EC2 free tier???

Comments

• awsonawson Member
    edited June 2013

It's 8GB storage on most AMIs. And the shared core is terrible.

If only Google had a free tier...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2013

As far as I know the EC2 free tier still wants your actual credit card details, and... charges bandwidth overages directly from your card. Also there are some other limits, like the amount of disk requests you can do. They will not turn off your droplet on exceeding any of the limits, they will charge you for it, without any prior warning or confirmation from your side.

• awsonawson Member

@rm_ said:
    As far as I know the EC2 free tier still wants your actual credit card details, and... charges bandwidth overages directly from your card. Also there are some other limits, like the amount of disk requests you can do. They will not turn off your droplet on exceeding any of the limits, they will charge you for it, without any prior warning or confirmation from your side.

No, it gets added to a bill you pay at the end of each month.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

Amazon EC2 charged me $40 being idle on that free plan for something or other and it keeps trying to charge for $70 now but it is failing because it is a prepaid card. Lucky I didn't put my debit.

On the other hand FreeVPS gives those without a credit card a VPS which isn't so limiting, fot longer than a year..

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited June 2013

Be careful. If you have an existing login for AWS that was created over a year ago, you will get charged.

The free year "offer" must be used within a year of signing up for AWS, otherwise you will get charged at their outrageous "normal" rates. They say nothing about this during the "free" sign-up, you just get a big bill in about month.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Microlinux said:
    Be careful. If you have an existing login for AWS that was created over a year ago, you will get charged.

The free year "offer" must be used within a year of signing up for AWS, otherwise you will get charged at their outrageous "normal" rates. They say nothing about this during the "free" sign-up, you just get a big bill in about month.

Ugh, I guess that is why I was charged. :(

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

@awson - i think i read you get 30GB disk?

@rm_ @infinity - i had amazon free for a year 2 years ago, didn't know much about linux at the time, so it spent 365 days idleling. I didn't charged a penny. Amazon even emailed and told me free time was about to come to an end so I was able to shut/delete everything.

@microlinux - yeah, i read about that too. But I got 4 credit cards, so was thinking of giving it a spin, but then I still got $25 DO credit, £10 atlantic credit to get through and I got some credit on another LEB account. So with all that I think I'll not risk it with Amazon.

• @Microlinux said:

Thank You for the heads up!

• awsonawson Member
    edited June 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    awson - i think i read you get 30GB disk?

Each AWS account gets 30GB of EBS storage (for EC2 persistent storage), but the AMIs the free tier is applicable all have a set amount of ~8GB (I believe Windows ones may be higher)

• @awson - windows IS 30GB - thanks for the above.

edited May 2014

Still AVAILABLE if someone wants a FREE VPS. Just be careful of the 'overage' charges, but a good VPS to play on/run a small site/learn to optimise.

• @asterisk14 said:
    I have a question. A lot of people come here looking for a very cheap VPS and even ask for a free VPS. There's loads of people on FReeVPS.us asking for a free VPS. Usually these are individuals that just want to play with a VPS, like myself, and not hard core VPS users. You get ~600MB/1GHz/30GBHDD/15GB bandwidth VPS all for free for a entire year. You can even use WIndows server on this EC2 for free for a year so not just stuck with Linux. I don't understand why they don't sign up for the Amazon EC2 free tier???

Because Amazon EC2 free tier is not free.

• @Profforg said:
    Because Amazon EC2 free tier is not free.

It is if you stay within the limits of the FREE tier. That's why it is called the FREE tier. You will get charged if you go over the FREE tier obviously.

• PcJamesyPcJamesy Member
    edited May 2014

@Infinity said:
    Amazon EC2 charged me $40 being idle on that free plan for something or other and it keeps trying to charge for $70 now but it is failing because it is a prepaid card. Lucky I didn't put my debit.

On the other hand FreeVPS gives those without a credit card a VPS which isn't so limiting, fot longer than a year..

My AWS is suspended because the CC I had on it expired and they couldn't bill me. I owe them 36 cents. Waiting on the Debt collectors to call. (jk)

@asterisk14 said:
    It is if you stay within the limits of the FREE tier. That's why it is called the FREE tier. You will get charged if you go over the FREE tier obviously.

I got billed for IO on idle windows instances so not to hard to reach.

edited May 2014

@PcJamesy said:
    My AWS is suspended because the CC I had on it expired and they couldn't bill me. I owe them 36 cents. Waiting on the Debt collectors to call. (jk)

Just use a new email address and a new card and you're set for another year!

@PcJamesy said:
    I got billed for IO on idle windows instances so not to hard to reach.

Are you sure it wasn't downloading & updating in the background? Make sure you switch off automatic updates. Use a prepaid card with $1 on it or something.

• @asterisk14 said:
    Just use a new email address and a new card and you're set for another year!

Already pay for VPS's anyways. I will agree that if your using this to test some stuff it's fine. I've used about 3TB up this month on my one vps and at 10 cents a GB thats over $300. But like i said for testing / playing with linux it's fine.

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited May 2014

Amazon EC2 free tier is the "micro" instance which has a very weak CPU that is not capable of continuous utilization, only "bursts". Run any CPU intensive program for a while and it will be throttled to death. In addition, you can imagine how slow the windows server OS will run on this type of instance.

They also charge for disk I/O and snapshot storage - it is very easy to go over the free tier allowance for these.

Now, one very nice thing is that earlier this month (May 2014) Amazon included CloudFront into the free tier. Now you can get started with their high performance CDN for free!!

• @hwdsl2 said:
    Amazon EC2 free tier is the "micro" instance which has a very weak CPU that is not capable of continuous utilization, only "bursts". Run any CPU intensive program for a while and it will be throttled to death. In addition, you can imagine how slow the windows server OS will run on such type of instance.

They also charge for disk I/O and snapshot storage - it is very easy to go over the free tier allowance for these.

I like your blog. I ran asterisk under RHEL on the Amazon EC2 free tier, worked fine. I installed Windows server and that worked OK too. Obviously you're not going to get 4 cores @ 10GHz for free so I have put the specs in the title for info. It is easy to go over the tier if you treat it as a normal VPS and do continuous DD test, benchmarks, install new OS many times etc. But for messing about with, hosting a small site, asterisk voip server, it is fine.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

FYI a good summary of EC2 free tier CPU throttling: http://gregsramblings.com/2011/02/07/amazon-ec2-micro-instance-cpu-steal/

They really cap it so insanely low that it's kind of strange marketing - the micro instance is not really representative at all of a full instance.

asterisk14 said: Just use a new email address and a new card and you're set for another year!

This works but of course they'll nuke you if they find out. Personally I wouldn't want to trust anything important to a server I got through fraud...

• howardsl2howardsl2 Member
    edited May 2014

@asterisk14 said:

Thank you! Actually I too have been running my personal Asterisk server on EC2 free tier for several month now and it works good.

There is a nice trick to get TWO IP addresses on a micro instance in EC2 VPC for free. Here's how: When launching the instance, create one extra private IP on eth0, and choose to automatically assign public IP to the instance. Then proceed to launch it. When it finishes booting, allocate an elastic IP and associate it with that extra private IP you created. Then reboot and use this command to let the OS use the second IP:

ip addr add dev eth0 PRIVATE_IP2/24

Remember to replace PRIVATE_IP2 above with the second private IP, and replace /24 with your VPC subnet size.

• earlearl Member

Closest thing to a free vps is DO. Sure you have to pay $5 initially but they give you credit for signing up, credit for adding DNS and credit for deleting your droplet..so right there, is already a years worth of credits.. On top of that they bill you by the hour! How they make money I don't know..

• earl said: How they make money I don't know..

Venture Capital . . if you can call that making money . . .

Thanked by 1earl
  • @earl said:
    Closest thing to a free vps is DO. Sure you have to pay $5 initially but they give you credit for signing up, credit for adding DNS and credit for deleting your droplet..so right there, is already a years worth of credits.. On top of that they bill you by the hour! How they make money I don't know..

how much do you get for adding DNS?

earl said: Sure you have to pay $5 initially but they give you credit for signing up, credit for adding DNS and credit for deleting your droplet..so right there, is already a years worth of credits.

You get $60 in credits? 'cause it's $5/month.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

raindog308 said: You get $60 in credits? 'cause it's $5/month.

I got 50, I am set up until october. How is getting credit for adding dns?

Maounique said: I got 50, I am set up until october. How is getting credit for adding dns?

Ah, back when they had venture capital to burn :-) I don't think they're doing those promos any more, are they?

• I didn't get credit for adding DNS or deleting a droplet :(

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

raindog308 said: Ah, back when they had venture capital to burn :-)

It was black friday, not so long ago. Since then I have my AMS droplet with only small downtime. I only paid 5 $, so, it should be fine. But I am interested on how to get credit for adding DNS :)

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

@hostnoob said:
    how much do you get for adding DNS?

$5.

You get $60 in credits? 'cause it's $5/month.

Yes, I signed up for an account on black friday, they give you $50 credit for sign up, $10 credit for some Dokku promo, and $5 give us a shot promo cause I deleted my droplet..

@Maounique said:
    It was black friday, not so long ago. Since then I have my AMS droplet with only small downtime. I only paid 5 $, so, it should be fine. But I am interested on how to get credit for adding DNS :)

well you can't really ask for credit, they just give it to you..

• ehabehab Member

now i start to believe anything asks for credit card upfront can be risky!
    thank allah then you asterisk14 for this thread, i had the freetire in my try to do lists, now i wont.