Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[SURVEY] Data Center In Sri Lanka ( VPS + Dedicated )
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[SURVEY] Data Center In Sri Lanka ( VPS + Dedicated )

So title describe more than expected. Me and few of my friends are planning to build small scale data center in Sri Lanka. Basically here is the sketch.

We have 2 Different ISP's with 100Mbps fiber on each. As a start we are considering these 2 ISP's to connect with global. :) Network will be native IPv6 because high price of APANIC IPv4.

We have planning to build battery backup system to power up our core infrastructure + mission critical servers & Diesel generator to act if we got power issue more than 6 hours.

Also some extra money to run the entire thing at least for 2 years. :)

Now we need to know the view of LET about this. Is there any serious buyers there for buy servers in Sri Lanka ?

Comments

• Sooo, the entire infrastructure will be based on two residential lines?
    Have you considered power requirements, cooling, the actual data centre?

• shyaminayeshshyaminayesh Member
    edited April 2017

ElliotJ said: Sooo, the entire infrastructure will be based on two residential lines? Have you considered power requirements, cooling, the actual data centre?

yes, we have considered power requirements, cooling things & we have small amount of servers currently running with 2 ADSL lines & we are thinking about make the next step.

Bandwidth price is bit high in Sri Lanka & that's why we are planning to start with 2 ISP + 100Mbps on each of them. Lines are not residential. both lines are enterprise grade leased lines.

• Who else provides 100Mbps fiber except SLT?

• You better make sure the isps don't care if you do this, many do and will ban you for life for hosting servers on their lines.

• I like this idea and I'd happy pick one up. 2 residential lines should be fine if they are 100Mbit full duplex. I'd enjoy having a 10Mbit Dedi or VPS in such a location. If you were able to collect some old hardware such as Intel Atoms with 500GB drives and sell them around $10/mo you'll be sorted and we'd love you

• roshan91 said: Who else provides 100Mbps fiber except SLT?

you can get SLT + Dialog business class leased line for hit 100Mbps. Dialog also provide upto 4Mbps via WiMax but not sure about WiMax thing :/

• again lines are not residential. We already talk with the ISP's and make sure we have the capability for hosting public servers.

We can't do BGP in Sri Lankan residential lines that's why we pick the leased lines :)

• You'll probably be hit by a small scale ddos (200mbit is nothing) for a month with no way to take countermeasures.

Would advise against it.

• @shyaminayesh said:

roshan91 said: Who else provides 100Mbps fiber except SLT?

you can get SLT + Dialog business class leased line for hit 100Mbps. Dialog also provide upto 4Mbps via WiMax but not sure about WiMax thing :/

I've tried their Wimax, its sh*t. and i don't think wireless is a good idea if you are running a DC. And SLT has issues with their routing and latency time to time, you have to consider that aswell

• roshan91 said: I've tried their Wimax, its sh*t. and i don't think wireless is a good idea if you are running a DC. And SLT has issues with their routing and latency time to time, you have to consider that aswell

yes. We are going to take the fiber option from both of the providers & dialog already give a peering map & we didn't got the SLT's yet :/ We are considering everything because we need to do some quality work. thanks for the input @roshan91

teamacc said: You'll probably be hit by a small scale ddos (200mbit is nothing) for a month with no way to take countermeasures.

one of our ISP confirmed they'll mitigate the DDOS things without null routing but we are working to confirm it by writing copy and technical person. But other one didn't mentioned about it yet.

We don't need our total infrastructure to go dark if something happens :/

• AuroraZ said: You better make sure the isps don't care if you do this, many do and will ban you for life for hosting servers on their lines.

it's SL. 100mbps is not a home connection. it's clearly for business use.

• shyaminayesh said: Is there any serious buyers there for buy servers in Sri Lanka ?

probably not here because servers there will be expensive and we all want cheap cheap cheap.

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited April 2017

You have to plan it pretty well. Nobody buys premium from a home made datacenter with 2x100Mbps line that has beyond terrible residental routing. If you have 50+ servers running it equals 4Mbps guaranteed share per server.

Therefore you should really focus on low end hardware.. as said above, as long as you are able to provide cheap hardware and attach some used/old 500GB HDDs on the servers and sell them 10 USD/m, people will totally buy it.

Also, any DDoS mitigation in asia is totally crap and is almost always backhauled from Europe/LA USA, OVH being the only exception at this moment since it cleans/routes all EU/USA traffic via their other datacenters first.

Some Sri Lankan ISPs at most would have less than 2Gbps inline anti-ddos which can be flooded with any 5 USD booter/stresser, so avoid gameservers and users that are hosting those, or setup auto null-routing during an attack so the whole datacenter won't go offline.

• Abdussamad said: probably not here because servers there will be expensive and we all want cheap cheap cheap.

yeah, once done it'll cost $$$ rage :/ but I love the input from LET :)

• Native IPv6 could also be a problem with countries that doesn't have IPv6 in residential connections. You will have the option to purchase additional IPv4s,right(or if APNIC ips are so expensive you could also give users to purchase ARIN etc. IPs at a lower cost)?

• stefeman said: Therefore you should really focus on low end hardware.. as said above, as long as you are able to provide cheap hardware and attach some used/old 500GB HDDs on the servers and sell them 10 USD/m, people will totally buy it.

something like online.net kidechire ? :)

• Interesting. What do you pay SLT in this scenario ~? I assume this is not burstable on either?

Hard truth for point A is that with IPv6 only (seems you imply that?) you'll going to get bankrupt, get IPv4 - Sri Lanka might even qualify under APNICs "least developed countries" scheme for something. Cba to google and look.

As BBG is now online, most of the time do you have ability to get fiber to Dialog (dark or transport)? BBG has Telstra, Telekom Malaysia and Etisalat selling transit, with Telekom MY being the most realistic one you can get reasonable priced and asia useful (have fun routing traffic through the UAE with Etisalat and Telstra is Telstra, just ask a random Australian about them...).

You share this cable with Dialog then so better get SLT as backup transit - traffic over Telekom MY will likely always cross MY, Bharti can do India and has some other routes for eg. HK but i don't think they actually sell transit in Sri Lanka (maybe as part of a deal with Dialog or SLT as both have them as secondary upstream).

No idea about local market in LK or power situation (or what you will need in AC; but by geography this does not look good).

Thanked by 1HashTag
  • sanvit said: Native IPv6 could also be a problem with countries that doesn't have IPv6 in residential connections. You will have the option to purchase additional IPv4s,right(or if APNIC ips are so expensive you could also give users to purchase ARIN etc. IPs at a lower cost)?

yes. we can give the chance to purchase extra IPv4 but again it'll gonna cost more. We can welcome the users who have own IP Spaces if they need more than /28 :)

edited April 2017

@shyaminayesh said:

sanvit said: Native IPv6 could also be a problem with countries that doesn't have IPv6 in residential connections. You will have the option to purchase additional IPv4s,right(or if APNIC ips are so expensive you could also give users to purchase ARIN etc. IPs at a lower cost)?

yes. we can give the chance to purchase extra IPv4 but again it'll gonna cost more. We can welcome the users who have own IP Spaces if they need more than /28 :)

What about leasing /25 or /24 from someone long term? 128-256 IP's should be well enough for quite a while, and i doubt it costs that much compared to /22.

• May I ask for benefits for server on Sri Lanka? Offshore? Good routing within Asia? I'm just really curious...

edited April 2017

@sanvit said:
    May I ask for benefits for server on Sri Lanka? Offshore? Good routing within Asia? I'm just really curious...

Offshore could be a nice selling point, but i wonder if the OP wants to deal with such stuff. Maybe the market area could be low-cost dedicated servers in Asia pacific? Like Kimsufi of Australia lol. Right now everyone looks at france if they want cheap dedi no matter where they are from.

• @William yes Dialog is also gonna link us to the followings ( SMW4, FLAG, EIG, IMEWE )

• stefeman said: What about leasing /24 from someone long term? 256 IP's should be well enough for quite a while, and i doubt it costs that much compared to /22.

yes, We have plan for small subnet like /24 but with the price we can't provide more IPV4's with dedicated boxes or VPS's :/

• sanvit said: May I ask for benefits for server on Sri Lanka? Offshore? Good routing within Asia? I'm just really curious...

I got lot of client who search for Sri Lankan servers and then landed to my website. Also some small crowd for hosting game servers inside in the country. That's the main reason.

• @stefeman said:

@sanvit said:
    May I ask for benefits for server on Sri Lanka? Offshore? Good routing within Asia? I'm just really curious...

Offshore could be a nice selling point, but i wonder if the OP wants to deal with such stuff. Maybe the market area could be low-cost dedicated servers in Asia pacific? Like Kimsufi of Australia lol. Right now everyone looks at france if they want cheap dedi no matter where they are from.

Yeah, if it's offshore + asia + low cost, I'm totally into it. But if everybody's torrenting, etc. won't it slow down the network a lot(it is at leaset dedicated 100Mbit per server, right)?

• sanvit said: (it is at leaset dedicated 100Mbit per server, right)?

we can't got into this when we starting :/ it'll take some time :)

I'm looking into Asia + Low Cost. offshore is not in the plan.

• shyaminayesh said: @William yes Dialog is also gonna link us to the followings ( SMW4, FLAG, EIG, IMEWE )

Well, obviously, by their transit... i was suggesting you buy transit directly from one of the other cable tenants which are likely cheaper than Dialog on this route (at least in quantity, at 100Mbit... probably not, but i've seen Telekom MY do some really, really weird deals before like transit for Nepal...)

• What is the estimated bandwidth cost?

• sanvit said: What is the estimated bandwidth cost?

at the starting point we have to pay $ 2k/m for 100Mbps leased lines with unlimited bandwidth.

• @shyaminayesh said:

sanvit said: What is the estimated bandwidth cost?

at the starting point we have to pay $ 2k/m for 100Mbps leased lines with unlimited bandwidth.

i meant for the end customer. something like 2T for $10 and $0.05/GB overage

This discussion has been closed.