Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ramnode vs digitalocean - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ramnode vs digitalocean

Comments

• RemiRemi Member

why not just make vps price lower if coupon is advertised on site, advertised here. so people feel they save money? i use coupon to save 35% but still expensive specialy for more higher plan.

• bdtechbdtech Member

Ramnode may be a bit more riskier as its a one man show? Does nick live in SEA and ATL, lol.

• pavspavs Member

Simple solution.

If you don't like something and prefer something something else, stop using that thing you don't like and move over to the thing you prefer.

Whats the point of continuing this discussion after the initial "x is cheaper than y" argument. You already made up your minds dude, no point dissing someone else.

• Noone will allow you to hammer their CPU when you are paying $5. That DOES NOT make sense.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

Quit moaning, if you don't like it, go for DO like others have said. I've only heard good things about Ramnode ....didn't know if was a one man show though ... which is a bit risky. I remember what happened to DMB last year...

I think when providers are listed on LEB, it should be made clear if they are a one man show as this introduces a higher risk ....eg if this person got hit by a bus, went to hospital, wife left them, something came up in their life, ....our LEB could be in mortal danger

• jcalebjcaleb Member

i will always choose ramnode over do. its no brainer

• fapvpsfapvps Member

I would not leave Ramnode for DO over a few bucks. Ramnode is really a solid provider with some very high performance hardware and the software is tuned to perfection so it is worth a little extra. As for one man show it really depends on the man running that show. And as for unforeseen circumstances, things can happen to any provider at any time so thinking that your data is safe with a company that has 100 employees instead of one master jack of all traits is a false sense of security. If the data that is running on your VPS is critical, make sure it is backed up on your end in at least 2 places as often as as it takes. Most people can afford to loose a week, and a days of lost data is almost always acceptable unless there is more than $$$$ figures involved and that kind of risk is unacceptable. But if you loose money for every minute of downtime then well you move past VPS providers and go for something bigger.

TL;DR: Ramnode is awesome!

• jcalebjcaleb Member

do feels like an experiment

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

@jcaleb - DO is solid, yes they are coming up with new features and they have a 'labs' section which is a bit like google labs I guess. If you think DO is an experiment you should try atlantic, that's worse than DO IMHO

@fapvps - a vps run by 10 individuals is probably more 'secure' than a one man show as we have seen with the likes of DMB hosting in the past. He had an 'emergency' and everything fell apart. If there were 10 people, less likely something like that would have resulted

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

I agree with @jcaleb RamNoe>Digital Ocean. @Nick_A puts a lots of passion into his products and I admire that. Also if a few bucks extra for a quality product is a issue then go with the cheaper options. You get what you pay for.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited June 2013

Guys, relax. RamNode is not a one man show. If something were to keep me AFK for an extended period of time, Tyler could keep everything running smoothly. I'm in Atlanta, he's in Seattle. We have staff physically present in both locations. I doubt many (any?) other LEB providers can say the same.

Again, Remi, I'm not going to waste time arguing with you when you've already made up your mind. If you think you've found a better option elsewhere, go for it. If you've had a problem with us (which is all I can assume given the nitpicking), please send me your account information. I don't know why you have a problem with our pricing scheme when you were able to find and use our best permanent coupon yourself (as the vast majority of our clients also do), but it strikes me as just an excuse to indirectly vent about some unknown issues you've had with us. The scheme we use works well for us and it benefits you guys in that we can offer steeper discounts here knowing that the loss in margins is made up by those who don't do much coupon hunting. You should be tracking down and thanking the clients who pay full price or 15% off for making it easy for me to offer you 35% off rather than implying that I should intentionally make less money.

As you can see from the plethora of support we're receiving in this thread, we do our best to keep clients happy. I have no idea what has set you off against us but I'll do my best to assist you if that's what you want. If not, why waste your time anymore?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2013

@Remi said:
    why not just make vps price lower if coupon is advertised on site, advertised here. so people feel they save money? i use coupon to save 35% but still expensive specialy for more higher plan.

Why not start a VPS company? It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what you want and you've got expectations that you consider reasonable yet no provider can offer (aka dedicated CPU core for $5). I think maybe you know something that others don't and you might have something to offer people.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

@jarland said:
    Why not start a VPS company? It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on what you want and you've got expectations that you consider reasonable yet no provider can offer (aka dedicated CPU core for $5). I think maybe you know something that others don't and you might have something to offer people.

@Remi - I outgrew my needs from a VPS so I ended up moving to a dedi. It's not cheap but if you need more power, you need to consider cost and plan for it.

• RamNode is definitely not a one man team, and Tyler & Nick are having an AI named RamBot being developed to run the whole operation.

RamBot isn't quite sentient yet, he mostly just reads tweets, but there are indicators that RamBot may have learned the ability to feel Hate. Consider yourself warned

• marcmmarcm Member

@Remi your original post, while written up at the level of a child, looks to me allot like shilling. RamNode is a solid provider and the quality of their services is far and beyond superior to what Digital Ocean is offering, however no one is forcing you to use them. This is completely unnecessary and if your statements in your original post had any merit then you would have backed them up by solid reviews and benchmark comparisons, however you failed to do so. What exactly do you expect to get out of this?

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    edited June 2013

Agreed.

@minion you should close this thread

• taronyutaronyu Member
    edited June 2013

The only reason I use DO ever is because DO got a EU location and RamNode doesn't. Besides that.... I just don't see why you want to use DO over RamNode. DO doesn't even give you access to your own kernel. So why KVM over OVZ? If you are going to say 'but it is harder to oversell' I'm gonna answer that I never experienced any problems with overselling on RamNode. So that isn't a valid answer.

• mp3sniffmp3sniff Member
    edited June 2013

DO's server sucks... i have destroyed my droplet still waiting for it almost 2 hrs now but not yet complete how's that...? :)

• @mp3sniff - there must be something else wrong, my droplets destroy within 60 seconds everytime. I only every experienced what you've written with atlantic, where 2 servers would not move past the building stage and were stuck there. I had to contact support to get them killed off.

• Well, this is apple vs orange. DO is at their baby steps due to custom development. They'll become much better in a year or so. And I feel that DO has outgrown so fast due to their pricing and they can't handle the load at the moment.

On the other hand RamNode uses a ready made system which gives them to focus on the actual product more.

• just requested to the staff that they will move me to another server but they aren't listening... just created my new droplet guess what? can't even ping nor can login to ssh... i just rebooted it in my panel but no luck still dead server...

• prae5prae5 Member

I use DO all of the time, they are a great provider. Like every provider, they all have their place for different tasks.

I use DO for an automated build system and distributing precompiled images for some software. This can peg the CPU load at about .8 to 1.2 for 3 or 4 hours.

That kind of CPU load on an OVZ node would get me kicked pretty damn quick, likewise I've checked with a handful of the KVM providers here and asked if they would object if I had that kind of load on a regular basis. Two never replied and the other two said that they would class that as abuse.

Its always subjective as to what is considered CPU abuse, personally I think its reasonable. However if a provider objects, there is no point in arguing with them - its their house to their rules.

DO on the other hand have no issues with it at all - in fact quite the opposite. There was one point where i had an issue with a build script that caused it to build 3 builds simultaneously causing a load of about 4 and they never bother about it. This ran for a couple of weeks before I noticed and probably still would be and I don't think they would have raised an issue.

CPU (ab)use is a tough one for both users and providers. I get that some customers couldn't care less and want everything for a $1, which is why providers can have somewhat vague policies - this does make it hard for the rest of us though. If I know what my hard limits are, I know if I'm going to exceed it or need to work around it or simply move on.

It would be nice if providers could give me info on acceptable usages levels.

• I will stay with RamNode.
    Pretty price with the new discount.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@prae5 said:

It would be nice if providers could give me info on acceptable usages levels.

Well, ours is pretty simple. You pay x cores, we expect your load to stay below x. If your app is single-threaded, though, it should not go over 1 du to the way OVZ handles things, but there are few single-threaded apps still alive today.

Other than that, occasional peaks can happen, more than a few hours tho, is considered abuse, at loads 2x or more we turn it off on OVerZold servers while the others have enough margin to go up to 10 x or so, even higher, but eventually, more than a couple of customers will do this and the alarm will ring.

• prae5prae5 Member

Personally I think staying below x load for x cores is reasonable and from a user's point of view would be easy to manage. Unfortunately not all providers have such a simple and reasonable policy.

In the past, I've been told that regular loads of .5 is excessive and regularly bursting over 1 would be considered abuse.

Thats why I ended up with DO - its certainly not the fasted of hardware, but they are open with their policies which makes it easy to manage - that and being able to spin up multiple instances when needed.

• LeeLee Veteran

No denying the success of DO given the recent email everyone was just sent.

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2013/06/13/the-meteoric-rise-of-digitalocean.html

• Got 3 boxes at RamNode, and very satisfied with the service and support.

They only con with ramnode is they have no EU location :( !

• awsonawson Member
    edited June 2013

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5874185

I think RamNode is just jelly.

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited June 2013

@awson said:

I always worry when I see the word meteoric used to describe the growth of an Internet service. Well, at least when I'm a customer.

And jelly? Yum :)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@awson said:

Actually we're very thankful for what we have. It would be more appropriate to call us confused as to the goal of the OP with all of this carrying on.