Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ramnode vs digitalocean
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ramnode vs digitalocean

RemiRemi Member
edited June 2013 in General

I am wanting to cancelled my ramnode vps to sign up in digitalocean because ramnode is very expensive. digitalocean kvm 512mb 20gb ssd is $5 and ramnode kvm 256mb 5gb ssd is $6. ramnode only good for 128mb. please tell me reason for staying in ramnode. ramnode coupon is no good still very expensive.

Comments

• Compare the quality and you will see.

But if you insist to move over, then well move over ~

• RemiRemi Member

digitalocean do not has cpu limit usage

• pavspavs Member

Haven't used ramnode, though I know its LET/LEB darling. I have to say I am a big fan of DO.

If price is the consideration, it seems like a no-brainer choice.

• if you need something in the eu go with do, in us definitly ramnode. cant do better.

• JamieHJamieH Member

I know Ramnode are VERY popular and the owner is pretty awesome.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2013

It sounds like you've pretty well made up your mind. Certainly if digital ocean seems like a better fit for you, give them a shot. For my money it doesn't get any better than ramnode but quite frankly there are a lot of things I love about ramnode that aren't always necessary day to day things, like the insane disk IO. The network is better on ramnode, last time I checked, but that may or may not matter to you.

Give it a shot and see how it works for you. If you like the results better or enough, good deal. Otherwise I'm sure @Nick_A is happy to continue providing awesome service ;)

• @Remi said:
    I am wanting to cancelled my ramnode vps to sign up in digitalocean because ramnode is very expensive. digitalocean kvm 512mb 20gb ssd is $5 and ramnode kvm 256mb 5gb ssd is $6. ramnode only good for 128mb. please tell me reason for staying in ramnode. ramnode coupon is no good still very expensive.

@Nick_A can really justify the higher prices, to be honest. Also, I don't think you heard about the LEB35 coupon code. That brings you down to around $4/month. For 512MB it becomes $7.50/month. However still, RamNode is really better than DigitalOcean and the price is very much justified.

DigitalOcean and other services like it are useful for the express purpose of "I'd like Y hours of compute time please" -- it's very useful when you have a need for scalability and/or high amounts of jobs to execute, but it doesn't work out well as a "general" VPS host.

Just my 2cents.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

I'm sure you won't find a faster SSD KVM VPS, but you can certainly get a cheaper one elsewhere :) If you're not going for performance, then I'm not sure how you ended up with us in the first place :) If you are going for performance, then I think our track record speaks for itself.

Thanks for your kind words, guys.

Just one clarification: almost everyone on this website knows we have a standard coupon of 35%. So 512MB SKVM is $7.80/mo. I certainly believe the price is justified if you need the speed. Even our 512MB CKVM-E5 SSD-Cached is faster than what others are positing as SSD, so you can still get a ton of space with great I/O that route.

@Remi said:
    digitalocean do not has cpu limit usage

Oh and as mentioned in a similar thread, this is to protect as many clients as possible, not just let someone hog all the resources from other paying clients. Perhaps DO has gobs of CPU left over in their cloud environment to give away full cores, but we like to give everyone the best chance at the best performance on our (awesome) CPUs.

Thanked by 1elgs
  • +1 for @Nick_A

awesome service so far

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2013

The bottom line is that if DO suits you then go with them, I use them too and despite the odd hiccup it's been absolutely great. Whilst you may get better performance at ramnode the question is whether you actually need it all?

One note of caution. DO does not limit per say your CPU usage, however they are not giving you 1 dedicated core with a $5 VPS, at some point they will need to limit it.

• VerlVerl Member

I have a DO kvm. Speeds are pretty slow across the board.

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.0
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 1999.999 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 491 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 8 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 10.9MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 7.01MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 1.59MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 599KB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 1.06MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 141KB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.17MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 7.20MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 1.76MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 7.58MB/s

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited June 2013

I like DO too, but their billing is annoying me. Created 5 separate machines, one after the other and used then for around 10-40mins each and got billed $0.01 for each!

I thought it was $0.007/hr therefore the max should be $0.035??? Since I only used them for a total of like 2 hours really felt a bit ripped off. Just as well it's only the free credit!

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

You got charged $.05 and you feel you were ripped off?

edited June 2013

@fliphost - yeah, i do feel like that. when i did something similar a few weeks back, I didn't get charged! Plus why do they charge $0.01 when it's meant to be $0.007/hr! Think I'll head on over to Trading Standards ...LOL

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@asterisk14

Perhaps you had yours off at some point?

Q: Am I charged while my Droplet is in a powered-off state?

A: Yes. Your diskspace, CPU, RAM, and IP address are all reserved while your Droplet is powered off. If you want to save a Droplet for future use take a snapshot of it and then destroy it. You'll be able to create a new Droplet from the snapshot image anytime to bring it back online.

edited June 2013

No they weren't powered off, I destroyed the droplet before creating next one. Some were only active for ~10 minutes before being destroyed as I wrongly chose Ubuntu instead of Centos. This didn't happen the last time I used DO a few weeks ago. I had droplet that were less than 30 mins and didn't get charged.

• That is weird,but I get charged everytime I create a droplet even it is for 1 sec

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited June 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    No they weren't powered off, I destroyed the droplet before creating next one. Some were only active for ~10 minutes before being destroyed as I wrongly chose Ubuntu instead of Centos. This didn't happen the last time I used DO a few weeks ago. I had droplet that were less than 30 mins and didn't get charged.

I would definitely sue them, so many other cloud providers that accept PayPal and bill per hour at such a low rate anyway /cough

• DigitalOcean's billing system is crap, you'll get flooded with invoice reminders for weeks after your service is done. Finally a "fuck off" email resolved it. Most WHMCS will stop after termination

• i guess you were billed in rounded 2 digits. makes sense :)

• earlearl Member

If you think the ramnode 128mb is value for the money then just buy them both $15/yr is not a big deal IMO and from what I've read DO has been pretty generous with giving credit for down times so much that essentially if DO is unreliable then it will pretty much be free anyways..

• @Remi said:
    kvm 256mb 5gb ssd... $6... very expensive.

Sigh.

• gizzvngizzvn Member

6$ a KVM and expensive?
    @Remi: u should be proud and sell it if u dont need :P Ramnode is out of stock now :D

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@Nick_A off topic but are your KVM cores dedicates?

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

We use RamNode for our SolusVM.

@Nick_A is awesome. RamNode is awesome. Why should I switch?

• RemiRemi Member

I think sometime ramnode cpu and disk io speed is just a show cause using too much is not allowed. in digitalocean i asked and say it is allowed.

• LeeLee Veteran

@Remi said:
    I think sometime ramnode cpu and disk io speed is just a show cause using too much is not allowed. in digitalocean i asked and say it is allowed.

And you think DO would not have an issue with you using excessive resource? Do you believe everyone a salesperson tells you?

Don't get me wrong I love DO, it fits my needs so well in the locations they have but everything has a limit.

edited June 2013

@shovenose said:
    Nick_A off topic but are your KVM cores dedicates?

No, shared like every resource in a virtual environment.

@Remi said:

You specifically asked them "Can I use 100% CPU 24/7/365 and all the I/O I want?" and then said "Yes"?

I can't think of any of our SSD clients who have ever been sent an abuse notice for I/O. Have you been sent a ticket because of abuse? If so, please send me the ticket number so that I can look into it.

To echo what @jarland said, it sounds like you've already made up your mind to switch. If you would like to stick around, I'd be happy to apply our 35% LET discount since you apparently missed it.

• RemiRemi Member
    edited June 2013

@Nick_A I only say using too much. saying if I ask "Can I use 100% CPU 24/7/365 and all the I/O I want?" is exaggerate, why? jelous of do.

I ask do if using lots of disk and cpu is allowed and do say yes.

not yet notice on i/o only for cpu.