Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prohibition of SSH access in the student hostel - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prohibition of SSH access in the student hostel

Comments

• @UrDN Turkey. How do I set the bridge?

• @DigitalJosee said:
    Why not web console?

Open on it then set you SSH port to something like 34562

I will try.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I'm not sure why you can't just login to your VPS's console and use your VPS to ssh from there. Perhaps your provider is using vnc or something under the covers.

You could use service like http://gotossh.com/ . If you search for web-based ssh you'll find others.

• UrDNUrDN Member
    edited April 2017

@nesqa2007 said:
    @UrDN Turkey. How do I set the bridge?

I am aware of the government trying to block Tor but I'm not sure they are very successful with that.

Some people in Turkey recently reported to me that they were successful at connecting to the Tor network.

• tridinebandimtridinebandim Member
    edited April 2017

proxy over port 80 is way to go.. find a 1 ip 3$/y vps or ask your provider for a second ip.

• nesqa2007 said: student hostel

move to another place!!

• I had the same problem at my college.

I ended up getting a VPS and installing Shellinabox, I'd then access the console from my web browser then use it to SSH into other systems from that system, sort of like a jump host.

Works pretty well, not blocked either.

• Use your handphone to tethering first and then install openvpn on port 443

• @dedicados said:

nesqa2007 said: student hostel

move to another place!!

• Wellcome back @Nekki

• @rocket said:
    I had the same problem at my college.

I ended up getting a VPS and installing Shellinabox, I'd then access the console from my web browser then use it to SSH into other systems from that system, sort of like a jump host.

Is there a web-based SSH client you can recommend?

• @robohost said:
    Use your handphone to tethering first and then install openvpn on port 443

Access without VPN is not possible?

• @nesqa2007 said:

@robohost said:

if it's blocked your best option is using vpn or your own connection

• @robohost said:

@nesqa2007 said:

@robohost said:

Is it possible to block TCP 443 port? Does the hotel management do that?

• @nesqa2007 said:

@robohost said:

@nesqa2007 said:

@robohost said:

Sure it's possible, you can use udp if just tcp blocked

• @robohost said:

@nesqa2007 said:

@robohost said:

@nesqa2007 said:

@robohost said:

Sure it's possible, you can use udp if just tcp blocked

http://www.rutschle.net/tech/sslh.shtml What does this do?

• I don't believe your story. And I don't like games like that because one day someone with a real problem will come and people won't care.

• @nesqa2007 said:

@rocket said:
    I had the same problem at my college.

Is there a web-based SSH client you can recommend?

Yeah, i set my shellinabox server up using codeanywhere. If you add a "SFTP" server then it gives you access to a SSH terminal too.

• bsdguy said: I don't believe your story.

I'm having trouble believing this too. Buying and connecting to a VPS is regular web traffic and if that's blocked then what do you have left - gopher? Log into the CP panel of whatever dirt cheap VPS you've purchased and use the terminal there to set up the server end of OpenVPN and use port 443 (as others have suggested).

Thanked by 2Clouvider easy
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@nesqa2007 said:
    Does it support OpenVPN? @JahAGR @netomx

yes

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited April 2017

It is also possible that the OP is rejecting suggestions because she does not understand that VPN traffic using port 443 is indistinguishable from https.

• @Ole_Juul nope, they do somehow... in university network i ended up using proxy over 80.

• I doubt the DPI is expensive enough to filter openvpn TCP on port 443 on your cheap vps.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • tridinebandim said: they do somehow... in university network i ended up using proxy over 80.

That doesn't make sense to me. I don't see how it is possible to discern one encrypted stream from another, but perhaps by inference simply because you connect to the same server all the time. However, when you have an encrypted stream on port 80 you'll stick out like a sore thumb and if you don't, they'll know where you went.

I could be totally wrong but at least I'm talking about the technicalities (as suitable for this site) - "somehow" isn't much help in understanding. :)

• @ole_juul depends on how much you think the network admins actually care, or if they're just somewhat following policy/legislation.

Tor, at least initially seems like the most obvious choice considering the network limitations.

@nesqa2007, if you can't download Tor, send me a PM and I'll send you a mirror link.

• quickquick Member

probably same old turkish journalist

Thanked by 2jvnadr lazyt
  • Always try goagent if your safely concern is not so high. I doubt anyone other than the Chinese would dare or able to block Google and its global cache.

Warning: Journalists and activists, never use goagent as the only layer of encryption. It's not that safe by design.

• quick said: probably same old turkish journalist

Was just about to post this...

Thanked by 1quick
  • nulldevnulldev Member
    edited April 2017

My school does this, so it definitely is possible.

They use some crazy DPI to distinguish between traffic types. They block everything except SSL and WebSockets on port 443. They block everything except HTTP on port 80. All other ports are blocked.

Connecting to ShadowSocks on port 443 or 80 fails. Connecting to OpenVPN fails as well. SSH connections fail too! Unsecured WebSockets connections are dropped. HTTPS websites/WebSockets work fine however.

All ICMP packets are dropped. All UDP packets appear to be dropped but I haven't done extensive testing with UDP.

My current setup is: OpenVPN tunneled over SSL WebSockets.

And I live in Canada! So much for "freedom"...

I'll try testing OpenVPN and SSH again just to confirm my findings but I'm not optimistic.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    the OP is rejecting suggestions

That seems to be the OP's specialty.