Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody with Scaleway?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody with Scaleway?

Anybody with Scaleway? Are they reliable? How about network stability and HW performance?

Comments

• Running some €2.99/Month Cloud Packages and they are working great

• ckissi said: Anybody with Scaleway?

Better to say Scaleway with Anybody :)

• another offline.net product :D

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Mine has been reliable

• reetwoodreetwood Member
    edited April 2017

no problems for me

• rEDrED Member

Mine is working great as well.

• xrzxrz Member
    edited April 2017

last month i did ~100TB transfer on single vc1s per month :D why not for that money xD //but sure offline.net product ^^

• DigitalJoseeDigitalJosee Member
    edited April 2017

@xrz said:
    last month i did ~100TB transfer on single vc1s per month :D why not for that money xD //but sure offline.net product ^^

100TB is around 3TB/day, which is 125Gb/hour or 2Gb/min.

To download 2Gb/min, you need, at least, 34mbps, that's pretty fast.

• LeeLee Veteran

No particular issues other than some occasional lag to the storage. €0.50 just to create a snapshot though and then €1 per month.

• The VPS offerings seemed fine when I used them, though admittedly I didn't use them for anything serious. I had a Dedibox SC 2016 for a a couple of months but canceled it after it started suffering from the infamous slow disk bug that they apparently still haven't fixed. :(

• I keep running into routing issues with them. And support is not helpful at all.

For example a scaleway server simply wont be able to access some other server, all traffic stops in their network. I found that it can be fixed by changing the IP of the scaleway server.

But its super annoying and support simply tries to prove that the problem is the firewall on that remote server that is dropping the connection. After giving all the proof they say "we will look into it" and thats it, it keeps happening at random once every 2 months or so with completely different networks. So I stopped using them for anything important.

• @DigitalJosee said:

@xrz said:

Your math is off. 100mbit/s is 30TB/month. 100TB would equal 333mbit/s, which is pretty DAMN fast.

• DigitalJoseeDigitalJosee Member
    edited April 2017

@teamacc said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@xrz said:

Your math is off. 100mbit/s is 30TB/month. 100TB would equal 333mbit/s, which is pretty DAMN fast.

Sorry, my bad. I mean 34MB/s, which is 340mbit/s.

• ihadpihadp Member

@DigitalJosee said:

@teamacc said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@xrz said:

You're math is wrong :P

1MB/s = 8Mbit/s

So 34MB/s would be 272Mbit/s

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

1MB/s = 8Mbit/s

So, I'm double wrong.
    I'm not really into math.

• jgillichjgillich Member
    edited April 2017

jimaek said: And support is not helpful at all.

Their first level support is definitely garbage, they don't even understand basic networking. I once asked them to confirm that NAT is not supported for non-dedicated-IPv4 servers, after getting useless replies from like 5 people finally someone competent showed up.

Overall, you get what you pay for with Scaleway. It's not as cheap as it seems. Storage is kinda slow, and the cheaper VMs all run on Atom C2000 cores. Also, you are limited to the kernels they provide, even on the dedicated machines.

With the recent price drops, I'd definitely recommend Linode, Vutlr or BuyVM instead though, they probably perform better for the same money.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@jgillich said:
    With the recent price drops, I'd definitely recommend Linode, Vutlr or BuyVM instead though, they probably perform better for the same money.

None of them have the same features set and specs for such a low price though. Buyvm will once they have hourly billing and deployment via API but at the moment they don't. Vultr and Linode cost heaps more for the same specs.

• I see BuyVM offers 1/4 core, I didn't see something like this. The minimum with Vultr, DO, Linode is 1 core. Is it worth it?

• @jenkki said:

ckissi said: Anybody with Scaleway?

Better to say Scaleway with Anybody :)

I don't get it....?

• Scaleway is no longer reliable. Try to archive your server and then loose all that data. Bug is active for a few months now. https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=851

Thanked by 1johnnymatt
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jimaek said:
    I keep running into routing issues with them. And support is not helpful at all.

For example a scaleway server simply wont be able to access some other server, all traffic stops in their network. I found that it can be fixed by changing the IP of the scaleway server.

But its super annoying and support simply tries to prove that the problem is the firewall on that remote server that is dropping the connection. After giving all the proof they say "we will look into it" and thats it, it keeps happening at random once every 2 months or so with completely different networks. So I stopped using them for anything important.

You're not alone. I had a mail server there for testing a setup and I can never reach that IP from AT&T. I'm sure it's not their fault but the thing about low price is there's a price too low for even me to want to fool around with troubleshooting some things.

Thanked by 1johnnymatt
  • trewq said: None of them have the same features set and specs for such a low price though. Buyvm will once they have hourly billing and deployment via API but at the moment they don't. Vultr and Linode cost heaps more for the same specs.

Not all specs are equal. IO is not great on Scaleway because their "SSD" storage is implemented over the network. A single Xeon core will easily outperform the 2, possibly even the 4 Atom cores you get with Scaleway. The only area where Scaleway is a clear winner is in the RAM department.

I'm looking forward to them introducing C3000 based servers though, they will be perfect as low end VM hosts.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

jgillich said: I once asked them to confirm that NAT is not supported for non-dedicated-IPv4 servers

Uhm, to be honest if you asked in these exact words, it's no wonder it took support a while to decipher what you mean.

Thanked by 3trewq datako Lee
  • jgillichjgillich Member
    edited April 2017

rm_ said: Uhm, to be honest if you asked in these exact words, it's no wonder it took support a while to decipher what you mean.

Haha yea I couldn't think of the proper term there, but no that is of course not what I sent them. They did understand my question, but they weren't able to communicate that they did. Here's what they replied:

without IP extern you can't communique via the web with your server.

With no mention of either a) NAT or b) IPv4, any bullshitter could have just made that up.

Most budget hosts have bad support though, it's not meant as criticism.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@teamacc said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@xrz said:

1MB/s = 8Mbit/s

What about taking overheads into factors here...

:P

• They are good.

• @pbgben said:

Also, everyone blatantly assumed transfer = download and not download + upload.

• They network like yoyo, since I cant get 7 mbps everytime I'm out and move to ovh

• @pbgben said:

@IHaveADarkPassenger said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@teamacc said:

@DigitalJosee said:

@xrz said:

1MB/s = 8Mbit/s

Overhead is still counted as traffic :D

• ckissi said:

I see BuyVM offers 1/4 core, I didn't see something like this. The minimum with Vultr, DO, Linode is 1 core. Is it worth it?

The 1 core on Vultr/DO/Linode is potentially shared with N other users. I'm told in practice that you get nearly the full core at first, but if you use it for a long time, your share gets lower and lower as you compute more. With BuyVM, 1/4 of a core (well ok, hardware thread, but it's an E3 server that is faster than most of the V/D/L servers which are usually ~2 ghz E5's) is dedicated to you, and you can burst above it if more capacity is available, which it usually is. You can get throttled over time but never below the dedicated 1/4 core.