Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uptime Monitor, what are you using right now ? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Uptime Monitor, what are you using right now ?

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Python and bash scripts. I have unique needs and building plugins for someone else's software just pisses me off. :(

Thanked by 1AuroraZ
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@jetchirag said:

@r0xz said:

@jetchirag said:

@MikePT said:
    @vfuse Nixstats, @NodePing both perform great.

I'm thinking to use Nixstats. Do you have a rough idea what will be cost for > 15-20 servers?

free right now.

I know but in future? I need to plan

It's been free for a while (Nixstats). Pretty sure that their standard/premium plans will be affordable anyway.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

@MikePT said:

@jetchirag said:

@r0xz said:

@jetchirag said:

@MikePT said:

I'm thinking to use Nixstats. Do you have a rough idea what will be cost for > 15-20 servers?

free right now.

It's been free for a while (Nixstats). Pretty sure that their standard/premium plans will be affordable anyway.

It's been free for 2 years now. We're working on getting it to production level. There might be issues, we've had to scale from 2000 to 8000 servers this past year, people really like free stuff ;)

Pricing will be between $1 and $4 per server per month for beta testers. Monitoring will be between $1 and $2 per 10. The cheaper packages will have less features and less data retention. There will also still be a free package with a couple of servers and 24 hour data retention. I'm looking to developing a WHMCS module for resellers.

If you are having issues please use the live chat option, i'll try to reply and solve issues asap.

• @vfuse said:

@MikePT said:

@jetchirag said:

@r0xz said:

@jetchirag said:

@MikePT said:

free right now.

It's been free for 2 years now. We're working on getting it to production level. There might be issues, we've had to scale from 2000 to 8000 servers this year, people really like free stuff ;)

Pricing will be between $1 and $4 per server per month for beta testers. Monitoring will be between $1 and $2 per 10. The cheaper packages will have less features and less data retention. There will also still be a free package with a couple of servers and 24 hour data retention. I'm looking to developing a WHMCS module for resellers.

That would be super helpful if you could develop whmcs module. I feel bad that I had missed free stuff for 2 year :(

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

We are old school and using uptime robot still :(

• We are using Pingdom.

• Mark_O_PoloMark_O_Polo Member
    edited April 2017

New user to Hetrix. Load the agent and basham "got data". HetrixTools has alot to offer for the free user. If I had a greater need I would do the paid plan . Will keep my uptime robot but there is no comparison.

Thanked by 1HBAndrei
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

PHP Server Monitor: works okay most of the time but FPs increase with a lot of servers. Looking into multi-location monitoring that scales atm but don't really feel like going down the Zabbix rabbit hole ;)

UptimeRobot: for public status page; has 50 free monitors.

Pavin.

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

I am amazed that none have mentioned about NodeQuery I find it pretty simple. I don't think they have any public status page to display the results. But I'm pretty comfortable with it.

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@BlaZe said:
    I am amazed that none have mentioned about NodeQuery I find it pretty simple. I don't think they have any public status page to display the results. But I'm pretty comfortable with it.

Nodequery, Nixstats et al. is not just for uptime monitoring and requires installation of their client on server; CMIIW. Easier and more fault-tolerant to roll out your own custom scripts rather than mess around with APIs.

Pavin.

• DataRecoveryDataRecovery Member
    edited April 2017

Guys, if you don't mind, I will add my own related question here as well:

I'm looking for an uptime monitoring service, which would keep a longer log of response time.

Currently using Uptime Robot and it's perfectly OK for my uptime monitoring needs.
    I monitor a couple of shared hosting plans and what I'm more interested in is noticing that the provider is becoming "average" or starting to oversell too aggressively.

So I'd love to have an ability to look at response time fluctuations for longer periods of time. My sites do not change much, hence slower loading is likely a sign of some not so good changes at the provider's side.

I don't need a lot of monitors and 5-10 min interval would be fine.

P.S.
    I have seen Hetrix plans, but I'm unsure whether I won't forget logging in each month to prevent the stats from disappearing.

• DataRecovery said: keep a longer log of response time

We keep 90 days of detailed results and 2 years of hourly summaries (min, max, average).

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

DataRecovery said: I have seen Hetrix plans, but I'm unsure whether I won't forget logging in each month to prevent the stats from disappearing.

Your stats will not be erased, it will just be your monitors that get paused until you log back in. And you do get an email reminder a few days before your account goes inactive, to make sure you don't forget.
    Thanks for your interest.

• WSSWSS Member

@HBAndrei said:
    Your stats will not be erased, it will just be your monitors that get paused until you log back in. And you do get an email reminder a few days before your account goes inactive, to make sure you don't forget.

Not to shit on you, but your system gave me 3 blacklist positives for "127.0.0.1", when it didn't show the same when checked on the mentioned lists. Are you trying to take over for McAffee- or Gibson?

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited April 2017

WSS said: your system gave me 3 blacklist positives for "127.0.0.1", when it didn't show the same when checked on the mentioned lists

Hey there, just because their websites say the IP is not blacklisted, doesn't necessarily mean that their DNS queries aren't returning that IP as blacklisted. Our platform checks the blacklist status, not via website, but via DNS query, just like any mail server does.

I believe these are the 3 RBLs that you are speaking of, and all 3 of them return the IP as blacklisted when queried via DNS:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    1.0.0.127.st.technovision.dk. 300 IN    A       127.0.0.2

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    1.0.0.127.dnsbl.rv-soft.info. 86400 IN  A       127.0.0.1

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    1.0.0.127.dnsbl.anticaptcha.net. 3600 IN A      127.0.0.3

Thanks for pointing this out though, it is certainly something that shouldn't normally be happening on the RBL side.

Thanked by 2WSS simonindia
  • WSSWSS Member

127.0.0.2 is a motherfucker. Every time I get on a Debian host, that bastard is on my network.

Thanked by 2AuroraZ default
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@mailcheap said:

@BlaZe said:

Nodequery, Nixstats et al. is not just for uptime monitoring and requires installation of their client on server; CMIIW. Easier and more fault-tolerant to roll out your own custom scripts rather than mess around with APIs.

Pavin.

Nixstats can monitor http/https/icmp and tcp ports as well without installing an agent. We keep statistics indefinitely.

@DataRecovery you can see your histroical performance on our dashboard either for a day or a month.

Here's an example:

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited April 2017

Who needs uptime monitor?! We all use fiber optics connections. Nowadays providers have the best uptime and cheap prices. I don't need an uptime monitor, because my servers are always UP. My advice: buy from LET only, because servers are good, fast and cheap.

However, if you are too selfish and you don't trust even the LET community, then don't forget that all LET providers have an uptime page with their locations so you can see for yourself that your server is always UP. I don't know how helpful it is, but that page is just for you, the customer alone who can not trust anyone.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@default said:
    because my servers are always UP.

Until you have a power/network/other problem which then causes them not to be up....

• @iKeyZ said: Until you have a power/network/other problem which then causes them not to be up....

Until they dont try to (shameless) oversell OpenVPZ
    Network "UP", Sites Down...
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/110601/is-this-vps-oversold

@default My advice: buy from LET only, because servers are good, fast and cheap.

Correction. Buy , with attention. Look at the reviews because, sometimes, OpenVZ can be hard oversold (KVM too) and not so fast and yu can finish to pay 'em the same amount of a cheap dedi ..
    You have to take a leap of faith with new providers but sometimes results can be better (congratulation @piohost for the uptime, nice offer last one, very happy) than average.

• @johnnymatt said:

@iKeyZ said: Until you have a power/network/other problem which then causes them not to be up....

Until they dont try to (shameless) oversell OpenVPZ
    Network "UP", Sites Down...
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/110601/is-this-vps-oversold

@default My advice: buy from LET only, because servers are good, fast and cheap.

Correction. Buy , with attention. Look at the reviews because, sometimes, OpenVZ can be hard oversold (KVM too) and not so fast and yu can finish to pay 'em the same amount of a cheap dedi ..
    You have to take a leap of faith with new providers but sometimes results can be better (congratulation @piohost for the uptime, nice offer last one, very happy) than average.

Thanks for the mention, Some providers do oversell there OpenVZ we however do oversell like many other but we are not one to sell what we can not provide, this is the server you are located on,

Thanked by 1johnnymatt
  • VPSCheapVPSCheap Member, Host Rep

For a more comprehensive solution that doesn't include just port 80/http uptime, look at Sensu. Easier to setup and configure than say Nagios.