Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email server on a VPS? - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email server on a VPS?

124»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@WSS said:
    Holy crap a talking dog!

• WSSWSS Member

@jarland said:

Seth McFarlane- stealing already old jokes so you (@Nekki) can hate millennials for yet another reason.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • @b6688 said:

Can you show us your test result using the following link?

10/10 on mail-tester.com, only got 94% on ESG with my current setting.

https://s1.picuza.com/QxrXe.jpg

• As I have already "added" a no. of times in such threads, setting up and running a mail server is the least of your concerns. The biggest challenge you'll face you will face is fighting SPAM and security issues for compromised users and then fighting abuse reports if any.

Running your mail server isn't fun now or monetarily viable given the cheap hosted mail options you have from Google, Microsoft and even other providers.

• @mehargags said:
    As I have already "added" a no. of times in such threads, setting up and running a mail server is the least of your concerns. The biggest challenge you'll face you will face is fighting SPAM and security issues for compromised users and then fighting abuse reports if any.

Running your mail server isn't fun now or monetarily viable given the cheap hosted mail options you have from Google, Microsoft and even other providers.

But spammers are looking for cheap mail, too, and those bigger providers seem quite happy to sell it to them. And then you have no chance when it comes to fighting spam, because you're not in control of anything. Or, worse, your legitimate messages serve as a human shield that allows the abuse to continue. The big take away from the last two decades of spam is that you cannot rely on someone else to stop it.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • impossiblystupid said: But spammers are looking for cheap mail, too, and those bigger providers seem quite happy to sell it to them

damn true..

• https://github.com/andryyy/mailcow-dockerized
    easiest, and you can enjoy a proper rspamd setup too.

• The trouble that I see (and am experiencing) with running email on cheap VPS is that the low lost also attracts bad actors. Getting deliverability isn't so easy when your server is collateral damage in the battle against your neighbors or the host that used to have your IP.

Since moving from self hosted via Sonic to VPS on ServerHub/Eonix I have run into far more trouble. RBL's are easy if you keep your own site clean but the private blocks are another matter. It took months to off of AT&T's list and I still haven't managed to convince the Outlook.com drones that sending all my mail to Junk is even a problem they should look at fixing.

I have also noticed a least one case where someone publicly recommended black holing at the firewall a large Eonix range including the IP that I use.

Does anyone know of a VPS provider that is clean enough that I would only have to deal with problems that originate from my own host? Unfortunately, Sonic is not in the VPS business.

• Wow. Even LET's arguments are more interesting and have more information that most threads elsewhere :)

@subhacker said:
    The trouble that I see (and am experiencing) with running email on cheap VPS is that the low lost also attracts bad actors. Getting deliverability isn't so easy when your server is collateral damage in the battle against your neighbors or the host that used to have your IP.

This will always be a problem. On one hand, the upstream providers who do nothing should be punished. On the other, innocent people inside those network ranges shouldn't. They SHOULD always have a choice to move elsewhere, but that's easier said than done.

I have my own static IPs I can route wherever I like, but most people do not. If I didn't have them, I'd probably find a halfway decent, ultra cheap and modest VPS, and just use it to port forward to my server wherever that might be.

Speaking of self-hosting email, I wouldn't mind some feedback for a little email server how-to I wrote up. Part four will come soon:

vax.zia.io/mail_part_1.html

• aaraya1516aaraya1516 Member
    edited March 2017

@subhacker said:
    Does anyone know of a VPS provider that is clean enough that I would only have to deal with problems that originate from my own host? Unfortunately, Sonic is not in the VPS business.

I've been using @vpsrus service. They're willing to help resolve black list issues from my experience.

• We've been doing it for our company for years. It used to be on a server in our office, until an ice storm took out power for a week. We could have all been working from home but had no email. Now if our office blows up we're fine because our email's in a datacenter in Dallas.