Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Email server on a VPS? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Email server on a VPS?

Comments

• mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

@doughmanes said:
    At least I'm providing something versus trying to act like I'm being helpful while self-promoting services. What have I provided wrong? Exactly. You never pointed what was wrong out other than everything is wrong except your service.

Let's see; I provided an alternative that is cheaper and better than running an installer on a VPS to OP -who's new to hosted email from what I gathered from our DMs- versus someone who's clearly in over his head and thinks he knows everything because he ran an installer to setup a mail suite and setup anti-forgery (which any spammer can setup too).

One of the most important things in deploying solid tech solutions is to know what you truly know so that you can improve on what you don't know. Clearly you don't even know what you don't know and I'm not going to provide free consultation to teach you otherwise. Feel free to wallow in your ignorance; just please don't spread it everywhere.

Pavin.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • mailcheap said: Feel free to wallow in your ignorance; just please don't spread it everywhere.

I feel the same thing about your aggressive used car salesman tactics where you're ignorant to this being a "help" discussion not "requests" or "providers".

We get it. Your solution is the best. I've contradicted your claims against me and you continue to shit on this guy's post with your sales pitches.

@doughmanes said:

mailcheap said: Feel free to wallow in your ignorance; just please don't spread it everywhere.

I feel the same thing about your aggressive used car salesman tactics where you're ignorant to this being a "help" discussion not "requests" or "providers".

We get it. Your solution is the best. I've contradicted your claims against me and you continue to shit on this guy's post with your sales pitches.

I'm an automation engineer, not a businessman/salesman; so give me some time to improve on the pitches :)

Pavin.

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited March 2017

I had a feeling about this and it makes a lot of sense. Do yourself a favor and hire a sales person. The sales person can use your account and you can have a personal non-pitch account where you can explain technical stuff without promoting yourself.

• @mailcheap said:
    I'm an automation engineer, not a businessman/salesman; so give me some time to improve on the pitches :)

Please. Stop.

You've derailed the entire thread.

@JustAMacUser said:

@mailcheap said:

Please. Stop.

You've derailed the entire thread.

I think we're allowed to have discussions within discussions here on LET. Please CMIIW.

Pavin.

• JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
    edited March 2017

Sort of feels like you're breaking the golden rule.

@JustAMacUser said:
    Sort of feels like you're breaking the golden rule.

Not as much as our "bro" here who started the derailing with his WHT squad tactics and memes.

Pavin.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • mailcheap said: Not as much as our "bro" here who started the derailing with his WHT squad tactics and memes.

Pavin.

Well yeah. What the fuck do you expect when you're self-promoting in a HELP section which doesn't allow offers by batting down everything as inferior and making foolish claims about me. You end up a meme when you start acting like one.

I'm not your bro

Thanked by 1WSS
  • mailcheap said: I might add C: It is cheaper and better than a self hosted setup

No, it's not. An email server for personal - light professional usage will not require much bandwidth, traffic, hdd space and cpu power. A simple scaleway vps of 3€ per month and a cheap aruba vps of 1€ per month as backup mx server or mail relay, will give the user 45GB of space, unlimited domains and mail boxes, the ability to have a full backup whenever he want it and/or a mirror setup in case of a failure for an extra 2-3$ for a non critical vps in a second location (e.g. an Inception Hosting small vps).
    With a setup like this, he will have his main mail server with 40GB space, a mail relay and a backup server at the price of <6€ per month.
    It is cheaper than a hosted solution (because there are no limits on domains/mailboxes and there is a plenty of 40GB space) and better (because the user is taking constant backups and/or have a mirror of his mailserver).
    The tougher job will be the installation, the set up and the fine tuning to achieve the best possible deliverability, and a good anti-spam filtering. But when he will get done with that, the maintain will be minimal to zero.
    Of course, if he is going to resell mail services, then, the no-maintain part will dissapear because he will have to deal with potential bad clients and spam / fraud attemps.
    But if he will use the mail server for his own needs and/or his small company, then, if he is willing to learn the technical part (witch is not so hard) it is a go-go.

P.S. Trying to discourage LET members from setting up their own mail server, is like saying to them that they should host their websites on a shared hosting company instead on setting up their own vps. LET is a tech community, it is not a place for an average blogspot owner that he can only upload some text with iage for his personal website.

@doughmanes said:
    I'm not your bro

Its in quotes; you made the reference!

Bro. We get it. You self-promote contrary to the OP's question. No need to get mad about it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2017

@jvnadr said:

mailcheap said: I might add C: It is cheaper and better than a self hosted setup

No, it's not. An email server for personal - light professional usage will not require much bandwidth, traffic, hdd space and cpu power. A simple scaleway vps of 3€ per month and a cheap aruba vps of 1€ per month as backup mx server or mail relay, will give the user 45GB of space, unlimited domains and mail boxes, the ability to have a full backup whenever he want it and/or a mirror setup in case of a failure for an extra 2-3$ for a non critical vps in a second location (e.g. an Inception Hosting small vps).
    With a setup like this, he will have his main mail server with 40GB space, a mail relay and a backup server at the price of <6€ per month.
    It is cheaper than a hosted solution (because there are no limits on domains/mailboxes and there is a plenty of 40GB space) and better (because the user is taking constant backups and/or have a mirror of his mailserver).
    The tougher job will be the installation, the set up and the fine tuning to achieve the best possible deliverability, and a good anti-spam filtering. But when he will get done with that, the maintain will be minimal to zero.
    Of course, if he is going to resell mail services, then, the no-maintain part will dissapear because he will have to deal with potential bad clients and spam / fraud attemps.
    But if he will use the mail server for his own needs and/or his small company, then, if he is willing to learn the technical part (witch is not so hard) it is a go-go.

P.S. Trying to discourage LET members from setting up their own mail server, is like saying to them that they should host their websites on a shared hosting company instead on setting up their own vps. LET is a tech community, it is not a place for an average blogspot owner that he can only upload some text with iage for his personal website.

I'm totally not trying to self promote but that's not cheaper. Have you met me? :P

At $6/m that's $72/year and I'm selling 10 years of mail hosting for $90 :P

Just saying. Don't buy it. I'm not selling it in this thread. But it's so not cheaper lol

• mailcheap said: Its in quotes

See my quotes about SELF PROMOTING IN THE HELP SECTION WHICH IS PROBABLY AGAINST THE RULES, Pavin?

• jarland said: Have you met me? :P

Somehow! (Having already 2 services from you and lovin it - it's for firend's need). :P

(Of course I have my own 2 mail servers for personal - proffesional needs that are hand crafted!)

Thanked by 1jar
  • WSSWSS Member
    edited March 2017

@mailcheap said:
    Pavin.

As a resident "Shits on anyone trying to sell their product without it being asked" person who has forced himself to step aside- you really were fucking obnoxious. I chose not to shit on you because I usually give the mods too much work as it is- when you CONTINUED to sell yourself without the OP even hinting interest, you did your best to lose any future business I might have.

So, yeah, if you are a lazy bastard, you can always get a domain with NameSilo, setup your DNS as you want (with or not on them), then add forward addresses through NS to go to your NSA/CIA endorsed Yahoo account/etc. Same net cost as the domain registration, itself. If you manage your own DNS, you can setup your TXT records to show that vendor as being OK for sending mail. Practical cost? Nearly nil.

@jarland said:
    Just saying. Don't buy it. I'm not selling it in this thread.

Pavin's made a run. Don't go all millenial-opposite or people won't trust you because you're being subversive, even if we know better. ;)

Thanked by 2doughmanes JahAGR
  • mailcheap said: And what happens when your main server is down? Does your backup relay handle SMTP AUTH/IMAP too?

Easy. Setup both main server and the backup server, if it is so critical for the owner to use sendgrid as smtp gateway. There are plenty of solutions, don't try to make it seem like climbing a mountain... (We're talking for a personal mail server here, to a community that is searchng for vps deals)

• jarland said: At $6/m that's $72/year and I'm selling 10 years of mail hosting for $90 :P

@Jarland, you are not a... good example for the mail hosting industry :)
    Your prices are extremely low and your service is top-notch. Almost all of your competitors are selling at least 4-5$ a 40-50GB space per month at best, most of them even more expensive...
    As of my own setup, I host one of my 2 mail servers in a 10$/y hostus vps (50GB space) with a mirror server of 6$ per year and backing up the vps to one of my backup server (already there for other purposes).

Thanked by 2jar vimalware
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@jvnadr said:

jarland said: At $6/m that's $72/year and I'm selling 10 years of mail hosting for $90 :P

@Jarland, you are not a... good example for the mail hosting industry :)

You know me, just casually trying to fuck things up for everyone as usual haha

Thanked by 3vimalware Yura jvnadr
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited March 2017

Am I the only one whose first instinct when reading @mailcheap's comments was not to. assume self-promotion, but see that he was just trying to help OP with the quickest cheapest solution. (in terms of time+money invested for a quality solution)

I already have a 60gb quota at mxroute for any larger mailbox needs, if ever.

No telling when Google would frown on my under-2Gb-used Google apps grandfathered account.

That said, after reading this thread, I feel l must now try my hand at this whole email stack endeavour, that I've stayed away from for years, (maybe with a cheap toy domain and see how reliable I can get it going.)

@vimalware said:
    That said, after reading this thread, I feel l must now try my hand at this whole email stack endeavour, that I've stayed away from for years, (maybe with a cheap toy domain and see how reliable I can get it going.)

Yes! And the first place you should start is Christoph's ISPmail.

Pavin.

Thanked by 2vimalware ragtop4
  • aaraya1516aaraya1516 Member
    edited March 2017

@vimalware said:

Main reason I joined LET recently. It's fairly fun, assuming you have the time and want to do it. From experience, do research on the VPS provider before jumping in. If you setup postfix/dovecot you can easily make it reliable across several hosts.

1. VPS for Dovecot Proxy Director
    2. 2+ VPS for Dovecot Mail servers with postfix setup (spam filter, dkim...)
    3. Decide on replication strategy (or backup): shared filesystem or dsync replication
    4. If you want to get fancy, you can geo-replicate a glusterfs system across VPS in different parts of the world and add more mail servers to those glusterfs hosts.

Google did find: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/50955/postfix-dovecot-distributed-setup

• Whoa..... Been busy and didn't have time to read the full comments on this thread...

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!

@mailcheap I believe that you were trying to tell me the best option, and I really appreciate it. However, I'm looking for a self-hosted platform that gives me more power over the whole system (plus a bunch of storage).

Everyone who commented, I really thank you for recommending all these awesome solutions! I'll test them all out and see what best suits me. Once again, Thankyou everyone!

@sanvit said:
    Whoa..... Been busy and didn't have time to read the full comments on this thread...

@mailcheap I believe that you were trying to tell me the best option, and I really appreciate it. However, I'm looking for a self-hosted platform that gives me more power over the whole system (plus a bunch of storage).

Everyone who commented, I really thank you for recommending all these awesome solutions! I'll test them all out and see what best suits me. Once again, Thankyou everyone!

Np; I recommend you start with Christoph's ISPmail as it will serve you well in the future and as a solid base for building your email knowledge. Forget anything about installers; they only exist to make your life easier once you have a good understanding of the components that go into making a mailserver suite.

Pavin.

• @mailcheap said:

@sanvit said:
    Whoa..... Been busy and didn't have time to read the full comments on this thread...

Np; I recommend you start with Christoph's ISPmail as it will serve you well in the future and as a solid base for building your email knowledge. Forget anything about installers; they only exist to make your life easier once you have a good understanding of the components that go into making a mailserver suite.

Pavin.

Ok. I'll test it out. Thanks :D

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Just for the record, I'll come out in defense of @mailcheap: I don't see where he acted unacceptably.

The OP's (= @sanvit's) original post is (my emphasis inserted):

Is hosting an email server on a VPS a bad idea? I'm thinking of installing VestaCP or any other kind of email management software and adding a MX Backup service just in case. Will this be a bad idea? Will the mails go to spam folder? And, Can you recommend good but cheap Backup MX service?

The boundary between a help post and a request post is seldom completely clear-cut: indeed, a post for help is almost always a post requesting help/advice/recommendations.

One doesn't have to agree with all of @mailcheap's views regarding what it takes to run a mail server, but I don't see where he unacceptably made direct sales pitches in this thread, especially bearing in mind the OP's original post.

Thanked by 1mailcheap
  • @vimalware said:
    Am I the only one whose first instinct when reading @mailcheap's comments was not to. assume self-promotion, but see that he was just trying to help OP with the quickest cheapest solution. (in terms of time+money invested for a quality solution)

No telling when Google would frown on my under-2Gb-used Google apps grandfathered account.

Your not the only one But others view may vary.

• YuraYura Member

@simonindia said:

But others view may vary.

Yes. Freedom of thought. Disgusting.

Thanked by 1k0nsl

@simonindia said:

@vimalware said:

Your not the only one But others view may vary.

I think people are tired of having dealt with sales people who try to make a sale whether its the right solution or not. A salesman does not care about the end result, product or even the customer; all he wants is to make a quick buck and sell stuff. I'm not a salesman, just an engineer. For me it comes down to whether I can offer a better end result/solution than what is being suggested and if I can, I would recommend it without a doubt.

Pavin.

Thanked by 2vimalware simonindia
  • If you know how to host email, do it.

If you don't know but are interested, experiment.

If you don't know and aren't interested, outsource.

• WSSWSS Member

Holy crap a talking dog!