Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH CA 3.49$ VPS connection getting throttled?? Anyone experienced this?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH CA 3.49$ VPS connection getting throttled?? Anyone experienced this?

So I am using this setup as my Plex Media Server front-end. The back-end storage is in a kimsufi in france mounted through SSH. I tested the scp speed of France -> Canada, it is perfect 11.2MB/s (100Mbps) as promised so I am happy.

I also tested my download speed from OVH canada to my home using this file: http://proof.ovh.ca/files/10Gb.dat

wget -O /dev/null http://proof.ovh.ca/files/10Gb.dat

and I get about 13.8MB/s constantly (I use AT&T fiber) so I know my ISP is not throttling the HOME<-> Canada connection.

However, when I download a file from my OVH canada VPS to my home using SCP, my speed starts at 3-4MB/s but it gets throttled down to 500KB/second. Has anybody experienced this? Is this common practice at VPS's? They promise 100MB/s but their steady state connection is well below that.. Kind of weird actually. It's not like I am streaming 24/7 a day. I barely watch an hour or two each day so I expect full throttle 100MB/s speed.

Comments

• trvztrvz Member

OVH is using inferior (in some cases) network connections for their VPS range. Try checking the routes, if they're different, you're probably affected.

• @trvz said:
    OVH is using inferior (in some cases) network connections for their VPS range. Try checking the routes, if they're different, you're probably affected.

How do I do that? And can you reco a VPS with same ballpark price as OVH btu with superior network?

• rivermiguerivermigue Member
    edited March 2017

yolo_me said: How do I do that? And can you reco a VPS with same ballpark price as OVH btu with superior network?

traceroute proof.ovh.ca
    traceroute your_vps_ip

And compare your routes results for both IPs

• maldoviamaldovia Member
    edited March 2017

@yolo_me said:

@trvz said:

How do I do that? And can you reco a VPS with same ballpark price as OVH btu with superior network?

Plenty of providers sell OVH VPS'es on their enterprise line, which is capped at 250Mbps-1000Mbps.

Companies to look at:

ExtraVM

StableVM

NyaVM

Wishosting

You can also look at Scaleway bare metal, those are hosted in France and should have pretty good latency to OVH FR. OVH VPSes tend to get pretty bad speeds, as many use them for torrenting VPN's and other probably less-than-legal activities.

• @yolo_me if SSD is not a must, I can make you an offer within OVH/Canada

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

yolo_me said: when I download a file from my OVH canada VPS to my home using SCP, my speed starts at 3-4MB/s but it gets throttled down to 500KB/second.

The first thing to check, try downloading with HTTP/HTTPS instead.

Thanked by 1klikli
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@maldovia said:

@yolo_me said:

@trvz said:

Plenty of providers sell OVH VPS'es on their enterprise line, which is capped at 250Mbps-1000Mbps.

Companies to look at:

ExtraVM

StableVM

NyaVM

Wishosting

You can also look at Scaleway bare metal, those are hosted in France and should have pretty good latency to OVH FR. OVH VPSes tend to get pretty bad speeds, as many use them for torrenting VPN's and other probably less-than-legal activities.

I use their game line, not enterprise, just saying. :~)

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Are you using winscp? If yes, its garbage. Use something else.

Thanked by 1gkz
  • @pbgben said:

I use linux scp. Would that make a difference?

• MTR to the server and MTR from the server to your IP. This is basic troubleshooting.

• @doughmanes said:
    MTR to the server and MTR from the server to your IP. This is basic troubleshooting.

Did this already. I will post later because I am on the phone.

• @rivermigue said:
    @yolo_me if SSD is not a must, I can make you an offer within OVH/Canada

I don't need ssd. I just need a front end. Must have good connection to OVH France and have 2000+ passmark score. Can u provide speed test file?

• How much and specs?

• yolo_me said: How much and specs?

Sure, what would be your budget?

• @rivermigue said:

yolo_me said: How much and specs?

Sure, what would be your budget?

You go first. Can you beat 3.49$? Lol

• rivermiguerivermigue Member
    edited March 2017

yolo_me said: You go first. Can you beat 3.49$? Lol

Heh, I wish I could, but those are way too much RAM for a low price on my perspective. If you are looking for around the same specs at the same price, there are other providers on this forum who might be able to help you on that.

If I try to make an offer, it might be probably an insult as it wont be nearly the same as what OVH offers :(

• @rivermigue said:

yolo_me said: You go first. Can you beat 3.49$? Lol

Heh, I wish I could, but those are way too much RAM for a low price on my perspective. If you are looking for around the same specs at the same price, there are other providers on this forum who might be able to help you on that.

Just give your offer. No harm no foul. Please be as specific as possible.

If I try to make an offer, it might be probably an insult as it wont be nearly the same as what OVH offers :(

• yolo_me said: Just give your offer. No harm no foul. Please be as specific as possible.

Well, here it goes:

1 Core @ 3.4 Ghz Fair share
    2048 MB RAM
    50 GB HDD RAID protected
    2TB BW/m @ 100mbps
    1IPv4
    30IPv6
    $7.00/m

Let me know what you think.

• @rivermigue said:

yolo_me said: Just give your offer. No harm no foul. Please be as specific as possible.

Well, here it goes:

1 Core @ 3.4 Ghz Fair share
    2048 MB RAM
    50 GB HDD RAID protected
    2TB BW/m @ 100mbps
    1IPv4
    30IPv6
    $7.00/m

Let me know what you think.

I am getting 200KB/second on this mate. Sorry. Is this OVH Canada location too? Now I know they throttle everyone. Not just mine.

• yolo_me said: I am getting 200KB/second on this mate. Sorry. Is this OVH Canada location too? Now I know they throttle everyone. Not just mine.

Its located at OVH BHS. We're not being throttled.

root@lost2:/home/admon# wget http://149.56.172.182/100MB.test
    --2017-03-12 20:56:02--  http://149.56.172.182/100MB.test
    Connecting to 149.56.172.182:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 99999744 (95M)
    Saving to: `100MB.test'

100%[======================================>] 99,999,744  9.95M/s   in 11s

2017-03-12 20:56:13 (9.85 MB/s) - `100MB.test' saved [99999744/99999744]

I've made that test from a German server.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

You should run a trace on each way, they don't throttle SCP lol.

• @rivermigue said:

yolo_me said: I am getting 200KB/second on this mate. Sorry. Is this OVH Canada location too? Now I know they throttle everyone. Not just mine.

Its located at OVH BHS. We're not being throttled.

root@lost2:/home/admon# wget http://149.56.172.182/100MB.test
    --2017-03-12 20:56:02--  http://149.56.172.182/100MB.test
    Saving to: `100MB.test'

100%[======================================>] 99,999,744  9.95M/s   in 11s

2017-03-12 20:56:13 (9.85 MB/s) - `100MB.test' saved [99999744/99999744]

I've made that test from a German server.

And I get this from my france kimsufi:

--2017-03-13 04:11:55-- http://149.56.172.182/100MB.test
    Saving to: ‘100MB.test’

100MB.test 100%[========================================================================================================================================>] 95.37M 6.75MB/s in 19s

2017-03-13 04:12:14 (5.15 MB/s) - ‘100MB.test’ saved [99999744/99999744]

It's safe to say something is being throttled along the way. Can't say for sure what it is.

• WSSWSS Member

Kimsufi's network is between not-all-sucky, and sucky. Often on the same node.

• I've consistently gotten the whole 100mbps from my ovh vps-ssd at bhs. Just got a kimsufi in fr and also get 100mbps but haven't had it long.

• @pbgben said:

The same thing happens to me when I'm using WinSCP, but not with some other FTP clients lol, I use WinSCP and mRemoteNG, however I have some friends that use MobaXTerm as well

• @pbgben said:

I pretty much use WinSCP only because it's GUI is pretty user friendly and I liked it over FileZilla, but like deleting a bunch of stuff takes forever, whereas I can do it in a couple seconds with rm -rf

• @willie said:
    I've consistently gotten the whole 100mbps from my ovh vps-ssd at bhs. Just got a kimsufi in fr and also get 100mbps but haven't had it long.

Where are you located?

• doughmanesdoughmanes Member
    edited March 2017

Yep. No MTR to and from results that was ran but it all seems to be pointing to the OP. OP seems overly focused on simple speed tests rather than running some testing that might give him answers.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • yolo_me said:

Where are you located?

I'm in USA but have been transferring data between BhS and EU a fair amount.