Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have issue hdd with hetzner hosting. please help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

I have issue hdd with hetzner hosting. please help

hello all,
sorry if my english is bad grammar

i have issue disk server in hetzner, i have ordering server with 2 x 3TB but when me install os from image, and me check df -h my disk only available 1.7TB etc

not full or nearly to 2 x 3tb,

so how to fix this issue guys
http://prntscr.com/eh5yda

Comments

• Looks like you're using softraid 1

• ewrekewrek Member

Show the result of: parted -l

• From the looks of it you appear to have software raid (mdadm) and there are 2 big drives (md2, ~950GB and md3, ~1.7TB) totalling roughly 2.7TB which is pretty near 3TB which is what you should expect (minus whatever rounding errors between 1024x1024 vs 1000x1000 and partitioning etc.)

Everything looks right to me.

Not sure what you mean by fix this (apart from re-partitioning/reinstalling).

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Screenshot is clear. You had / allocated 1TB and /home allocated 2TB~ in RAID-1. Is it correct, probably the default partitioning they have set for that OS.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 2017

you have 1TB mounted at / so for the root system and additional 1.7 TB at /home which results in 2.7 TB which is perfectly fine assuming both disks are running in soft-raid 1 (devices are named mdX)

are you sure an unmanaged dedicated server is the right product for you?

edit: clearly not fast enough, haha ;-)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • but.. i have 2 x3 TB sir, if you count this only 3tb right, so where other 3tb ?

@nullnothere said:
    From the looks of it you appear to have software raid (mdadm) and there are 2 big drives (md2, ~950GB and md3, ~1.7TB) totalling roughly 2.7TB which is pretty near 3TB which is what you should expect (minus whatever rounding errors between 1024x1024 vs 1000x1000 and partitioning etc.)

Everything looks right to me.

Not sure what you mean by fix this (apart from re-partitioning/reinstalling).

• Noobskid said: here sir

That's df -l not parted -l

• @myhken said:

Noobskid said: here sir

[root@CentOS-68-64-minimal ~]# parted -l
    -bash: parted: command not found

• We all started somewhere, annoyed the hell out of somebody who knew more, and should be helpful as possible otherwise we're acting like this picture

• YuraYura Member
    edited March 2017

@doughmanes said:
    We all started somewhere, annoyed the hell out of somebody who knew more, and should be helpful as possible otherwise we're acting like this picture

If you paste impossiblystupid's avatar without permission one more time he will drop another /8. You've been warned!

• FalzoFalzo Member

Someone said: He just has to get his ass up and google the stuff...

or read the well documented installer from hetzner.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • We're all trying to help (really) but I think as @Someone and @Falzo said, if the OP is unable to comprehend what raid is or what/how (etc.) parted is and so on, maybe for his/her own sanity/safety (s)he should go with a managed option.

I'm just surprised/puzzled at how someone "invests" in a decent dedi and expects to use it "well" without what I would call "elementary" basics.

• ewrekewrek Member

@Noobskid said:

@myhken said:

I see that you have 3TB space left, can you install parted?

yum install parted

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • nullnothere said: if the OP is unable to comprehend what raid is or what/how (etc.)

Guess you missed out on his disclaimer about his English skills when overly eager to jump on him. I made my point and you guys keep reinforcing it.

• doughmanes said: Guess you missed out on his disclaimer about his English skills

I did pay attention to it and wasn't really interested/bothered about his english language skills (or grammar or lack thereof).

My point was more to do with someone who intends to put a (good) dedi to use and does not (IMHO) have an understanding of SW Raid or mdadm or how to use parted. Irrespective of language skills, there are many folks (LET is a great example) who do wonderful things with machines. Maybe OP is great at whatever, but in this particular case, I think it may be wiser to have the OS as a managed option and focus on the USE of the dedi (for whatever) as opposed to managing it.

I'm not insulting anyone - just being "practical" for lack of a better term.

• I never brought up insulting and don't know why you're bringing it up or emphasizing it unless a Freudian slip

• doughmanes said: I never brought up insulting

I assumed that "jump on him" was in some sense implying "insulting" him (or berating him or whatever) - essentially not being nice to/towards him.

Anyway that is moot - what I still think is important is that IMHO, managing/running a dedi is not trivial (certainly much harder than a VPS what with raid and partitioning and all) and it may be prudent for the OP to rethink things.

• Maybe he's setting up a VM platform. Who knows what he's doing. We can't assume anything at any point.

• Here sir, the result, when me check parted -l

http://prntscr.com/eh6wst

@ewrek said:

@Noobskid said:

@myhken said:

I see that you have 3TB space left, can you install parted?

yum install parted

• i'm try to learning education only sir, personal using only. not for business

@doughmanes said:
    Maybe he's setting up a VM platform. Who knows what he's doing. We can't assume anything at any point.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • Your server is on RAID1 as other have mentioned, I would recommend you to google RAID1 and get some more info about it. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_1)

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Noobskid: your two HDDs are setup in a RAID 1 which means they are mirroring each other, so if one drive fails your data is not lost. if you want to use 6 TB in full you need to either user RAID 0 (not advisable) or use the disk just as JBOD, so you can partition both of it as you like. your data is doubled on both disks to have redundancy.

please read through the net what software RAID is and how to use or avoid it by reading the comments in the config you create in "installimage" from hetzner (if you use this to setup your server after all)

• coolnowcoolnow Member
    edited March 2017

If you want 2x3TB disks you'll have to reinstall and change "SWRAID 1" to "SWRAID 0" in the installation config. After the system is set up, you'll then have to search how to partition a drive and mount it (it's not hard). Or alternatively, if you want 1x6TB disk, you can keep "SWRAID 1" as normal and change SWRAIDLEVEL to 0. Do some research on RAID 0 and RAID 1 for help on deciding.

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

Also remember that disk drive manufacturers think 1TB = 1e12 bytes, while other software and users usually think 1TB = 2^40 bytes which is about 1.1e12 bytes. 2^40 bytes is technically called 1 TiB so 3e12 bytes is about 2.7 TiB and that's why the available space shows as 2.7TB (because most of us use TB to mean TiB).

Thanked by 2Noobskid WSS
  • thank you sir, for infomartion

@willie said:
    Also remember that disk drive manufacturers think 1TB = 1e12 bytes, while other software and users usually think 1TB = 2^40 bytes which is about 1.1e12 bytes. 2^40 bytes is technically called 1 TiB so 3e12 bytes is about 2.7 TiB and that's why the available space shows as 2.7TB (because most of us use TB to mean TiB).

• @coolnow said:
    If you want 2x3TB disks you'll have to reinstall and change "SWRAID 1" to "SWRAID 0" in the installation config. After the system is set up, you'll then have to search how to partition a drive and mount it (it's not hard). Or alternatively, if you want 1x6TB disk, you can keep "SWRAID 1" as normal and change SWRAIDLEVEL to 0. Do some research on RAID 0 and RAID 1 for help on deciding.

when me try to change SWRAIDLEVEL 0, Disk available 4TB, cos centos only support. 2tb maximum, not full 6tb for that sir ? so how to me some large this disk.