Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi flash sale 9-3-2017 - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi flash sale 9-3-2017

Comments

• YuraYura Member

@willie said:
    I do a similar ffmpeg compile (different configuration) all the time on an i7

Curiosity killed the cat but I'm gonna ask anyway... Why? Is it something people like to do with idle machines just for fun? I can get myself into this sport then.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@WSS said:

@willie said:
    Yeah, I wasn't doing anything else. Might try later (tomorrow maybe) with 3 threads.

Since the Atoms are so neutered, it's just going to get worse. I've relegated my Atoms to: Nameservice, mail, low impact dynamic sites, storage. They're a little bit better with recent microcode, but that may be psychosomatic. They feel a bit better under FreeBSD's SMP, but it's hard to equate with OBSD. They're basically completely useless under NetBSD.

Just curious: why would NetBSD be so slow on an Atom? Seems odd.

• WSSWSS Member

@angstrom said:

By design. NetBSD is primarily an OS designed for portability and design OVER usability. They had UFS softupdates and other goodies in NetBSD 4-5, but ended up removing them. When the kernel shuts down, it unloads every damn device first. It's beautiful and annoying at the same time.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@WSS said:

@angstrom said:

By design. NetBSD is primarily an OS designed for portability and design OVER usability. They had UFS softupdates and other goodies in NetBSD 4-5, but ended up removing them. When the kernel shuts down, it unloads every damn device first. It's beautiful and annoying at the same time.

Okay, so you mean just the usual not-so-fast behavior of NetBSD. I had misunderstood you to mean that there was some exceptional slowness linked to the fact that it's an Atom ...

• Yura said:

Curiosity killed the cat but I'm gonna ask anyway... Why? Is it something people like to do with idle machines just for fun?

I use ffmpeg a lot and generally run the dev version, so I recompile after a git pull. That's relatively frequent, like maybe weekly. I didn't mean literally all the time.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • WSSWSS Member

@angstrom said:

Okay, so you mean just the usual not-so-fast behavior of NetBSD. I had misunderstood you to mean that there was some exceptional slowness linked to the fact that it's an Atom ...

Well, yeah. It's an Atom. XD

• Fwiw I just noticed it doesn't have AES hardware. For some reason I thought recent Atoms had that. I guess this is a non-recent Atom. That might explain scp's high cpu consumption.

• WSSWSS Member

N2800 is about 5-6 years old.

• Too bad they won't remove the VAT for non-EU customers anymore. That's a 20% price hike for some.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • YuraYura Member

@pechspilz said:
    Too bad they won't remove the VAT for non-EU customers anymore. That's a 20% price hike for some.

They removed VAT for me 2 weeks ago. How can you confirm what you said? link?

• r0xzr0xz Member

@pechspilz said:
    Too bad they won't remove the VAT for non-EU customers anymore. That's a 20% price hike for some.

you will need to get your account approved

• layfonlayfon Member
    edited March 2017

Yura said:

pechspilz said:

They removed VAT for me 2 weeks ago. How can you confirm what you said? link?

Have been hearing about it too. I heard it from some Chinese. Also on kimsufi FAQ:

How do I exempt my account from VAT charges?
    Professionals and individuals outside of the European Union: VAT is not refundable to non-European customers.

google ""due to a change of policy, vat exemptions will no longer apply on kimsufi orders for our non-european customers." and you'll see those Chinese forum's posts.

• Got it done a week ago, you need to be a company outside the EU.

• pechspilz said: Too bad they won't remove the VAT for non-EU customers anymore. That's a 20% price hike for some.

But this is only for new customers then? I'm from a non EU country and I do not pay VAT at Kimsufi. Tried renew on one of my servers and I do still not pay VAT, and when I order a new server I still not pay VAT

• @layfon said:

Yura said:

pechspilz said:

google ""due to a change of policy, vat exemptions will no longer apply on kimsufi orders for our non-european customers." and you'll see those Chinese forum's posts.

Ah. A 'chinese tax' now (every 3rd worlder affected of course)

Maybe their fraud rate was close to 20%.

• You got to keep in mind that there is only so much you can do with an Atom server if you want optimal performance. I got 4... had emby running on one but it wasn't good enough so now I only run rtorrent and document storage on 2 of them. 2 sitting idle.

• @pechspilz said:

They removed the VAT for me, and I even didnt ask for it. Just sent my validation papers via email, and 1 day later I got my account approved and invoiced changed with no VAT (that was 3 days ago)

• Jabroni said: Just sent my validation papers via email, and 1 day later I got my account approved and invoiced changed with no VAT

Wow. I had to wait like 3 weeks for this to be done. You're lucky.

• One ticket with the scan invoices for electricity / phone and changing the VAT rate in 48 hours

• I didn't get charged vat.

• Lol, the N2800 (single thread) is about 2x slower than the Avoton C2750 (single thread) at the pi calculation benchmark:

time echo "scale = 1000; 4*a(1)" | bc -l

It's about the same speed as the Scaleway C1 ARM server.

• WSSWSS Member

Its a 5+ year old Atom. It's basically on par with an 802.11n router. :D

Thanked by 1willie
  • Cruel hoax, I got a check.ovh notification that the ks-3c was back in stock, but it was at the regular price with setup fee. And it was in stock before!

• vishvish Member

I'm still waiting to get this delivered...

• saibalsaibal Member
    edited March 2017

Does check.ovh provide notifications for special deals? Most Kimsufi checkers only notify for regular servers. I got the same notification from kimi.nwwebsites.co.uk for regular servers :(

• I think it only checks the regular ones. This flash sale was announced in advance on OVH twitter but I don't know if the KS-3C one was.

I notice they've finally stopped this flash sale after running it for several days.

The slow Atom (600-ish passmark) inspired me to look up the passmark of a few of my old laptops, one of which I still sort of use. The 1ghz Pentium M is around 300 passmark and the 800mhz Celeron ULV is under 200. And the laptop (EEE PC 701) underclocks the Celeron to 633 mhz iirc so it's probably in the 150 passmark range. And yet its fan won't stop spinning once it turns on, lol.

The even older Pentium MMX 233 mhz isn't even on the chart ;)

• WSSWSS Member

@willie said:

I have an 8 thread older i7 laptop (with crappy resolution), but I sit on an ancient Core2Duo because it keeps my lap warm. SSD makes things pretty fast.

• YuraYura Member

@WSS said:

@willie said:

I have an 8 thread older i7 laptop (with crappy resolution), but I sit on an ancient Core2Duo because it keeps my lap warm. SSD makes things pretty fast.

Dangers of Human Omelet. Be careful mate

• WSSWSS Member

@Yura said:

@WSS said:

@willie said:

Dangers of Human Omelet. Be careful mate

Another bonus!

• vishvish Member

@WSS said:

Another bonus!

+1