Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kimsufi flash sale 9-3-2017 - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Kimsufi flash sale 9-3-2017

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

vimalware said: Good idea. A 500G mdraid1 for VMs and about 4.6T in non-redundant volumes for backup data.

Thanks. I'm not using VMs right now (just bare metal) but maybe I should. I like the idea of 500gb raid1 for active stuff and the rest non-raid for static. Can back it up on OVH cloud archive, 0.002 euro/GB/month plus 1 cent upload and 1 cent download cost. Since it's backup, the hope is the download cost will never be incurred.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@willie said:
    Thanks. I have Kimsufi now so I'll need another one for OVH. I'm thinking OVH Cloud Archive might be better for this long term backup stuff than the KS server, or at least if more space is needed.

OVH Cloud archive is more likely a pain in the ****

yes cheap, but only usable for a very small usecase I'd say...
    tinkered around with it some days ago, I think you won't like it. at least if you use it make sure you don't put files on it you need any time soon besides the literally worst case.
    every single file has to be 'unfrozen' manually before you can download it again... also I could access it with scp/sftp only from within OVH not from hetzner directly.

for hetzner 2x3TB server I'd setup just a small system partition in raid1 (<100GB) and two big single disk partitions.
    to achive some redundancy for important files while being flexible on sizes I'd then setup glusterfs locally on top replicating into a directory of each of those big data partitions. so the mirrored data always only use their real size x2 and the rest of both partitions is available for non-important stuff. no need to decide on raid size before ;-)

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited March 2017

Kimsufi madness to every householder gov program just began.. Setup fee as gov tax included.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

What the fuck did I miss?

• Nekki said: What the fuck did I miss?

May be @cociu sarkasm today?

• williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

every single file has to be 'unfrozen' manually

Oh that's interesting. So if used at all, it should be as a few giant tarballs. IIRC you also tried C14--was that any better? Trouble with that is they charge you to delete files, if you want to pay the lower gb/month level.

Interesting idea about duplicating some files with glusterfs. I'll look into it. Basically there's 3 types of files on the box: 1) static archives (several TB), don't want to lose them but they don't change much; 2) current working data, maybe a few hundred GB tops; it's inconvenient if this is lost but it can be reconstructed/re-downloaded; 3) current live files such as program code. This should be in raid and I also replicate it to other machines (remote git repo). So I figured a 500gb raid partition for #2 and #3 wouldn't burn too much space. Maybe even 250gb is ok.

• willie said: Anyone know if I have an OVH account now, after signing up for the Kimsufi? I mean can I buy European OVH products without enrolling yet another account?

Like people says, it's different accounts. But I used my Kimsufi account to get my OVH account without sending my ID again. Just gave them my Kimsufi account number, and then I had my OVH account. Maybe a smart thing to do before the next OVH sale.

Thanked by 2vimalware willie
  • williewillie Member
    edited March 2017

Myhken, interesting. I can send them my US/CA account handle. They never asked me for ID either, but I've been with them a while and had several servers with them.

It's about 7 hours now and they're still checking my payment manually. I guess they do it in the daytime in France so I'll check on it again tomorrow.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@jenkki said:

Nekki said: What the fuck did I miss?

May be @cociu sarkasm today?

I thought I told you to fuck off and never speak to me again?

• Did anyone already got access to their servers?

• yolo_me said:

Did anyone already got access to their servers?

It sounds to me like some people got them, maybe because they already had active kimsufi accounts. I got a message (new account) saying my payment was being manually approved, which I figure means late tonight (i.e. daytime in France) as mentioned above.

• @willie said:

yolo_me said:

Did anyone already got access to their servers?

It sounds to me like some people got them, maybe because they already had active kimsufi accounts. I got a message (new account) saying my payment was being manually approved, which I figure means late tonight (i.e. daytime in France) as mentioned above.

I have another account with them from France. You think it's fine if I tell them my validated account and they could merge it?

• No idea. I opened a ticket telling them the ID of my US/CA account but I know the US and EU operations are separate, with US/CA having only part of the OVH product line.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

So a guy here got an i5 or... Its purely not related to this order?

• HaxHax Member

Who?

• MikePT said:

I don't think anyone here got an i5. There is a separate thread about a KS3C promo of a week or so ago. That was an i3 offer and quite a few people got i5's instead of i3's. I never heard of anyone getting an i5 instead of an Atom ;).

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • r0xzr0xz Member

@MikePT said:

you're confused...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

Ooops sorry. Im on mobile phone so I think I mixed up.

• 4ent04ent0 Member

the server i got yesterday works nice, but the hdd has 22000hours (two and half year 24/7) :/

• They are still at "We check your payment manually" for me.

• @willie said:
    They are still at "We check your payment manually" for me.

Same...

• XeiXei Member

@willie said:

MikePT said:

I don't think anyone here got an i5. There is a separate thread about a KS3C promo of a week or so ago. That was an i3 offer and quite a few people got i5's instead of i3's. I never heard of anyone getting an i5 instead of an Atom ;).

I saw the i3 offer but it was only available at location BHS so I didn't order. Was there an order link for RBX or GRA as well? I figured those sold out before which is why I only saw BHS order link.

• 4ent04ent0 Member

@Xei said:

@willie said:

MikePT said:

I saw the i3 offer but it was only available at location BHS so I didn't order. Was there an order link for RBX or GRA as well? I figured those sold out before which is why I only saw BHS order link.

it was more of lottery at that i3 sale few weeks ago, i was lucky and got i5-2400 at RBX4

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • jenkkijenkki Member
    edited March 2017

Nekki said: I thought I told you

May be just more Kimsufi and freedom of speech? No setup fees :)

willie said: They are still at "We check your payment manually" for me.

Get ready to upload docs and utility bill routine to them within a few days. If they sell out earlier than review, there nothing to be delivered finally.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@willie said:

every single file has to be 'unfrozen' manually

Oh that's interesting. So if used at all, it should be as a few giant tarballs.

exactly my point of view, it may work for big archives you need to access very rarely...

on my tests I just uploaded small files of only some MB and right after uploading it became 'frozen' and could not be downloaded again. instead I had to click on 'unfreeze' for it to become available 24h to be downloaded - BUT it made me wait four hours to have it unfrozen at all.
    that process of unfreezing seems much like the files getting queued or something like that - I'd suppose that is more like an intentionally limit but also a very irritating one ... can't tell if the process is faster if the file already stayed for frozen for quite some time before you try to unfreeze it or something like that.

IIRC you also tried C14--was that any better? Trouble with that is they charge you to delete files, if you want to pay the lower gb/month level.

sorry to disappoint but no, I haven't tried that yet. exactly because the need to pay for removal of data is something I am not willing to deal with. to make things worse and if I got this right you would even need to pull a whole container back into the working zone, if you want to remove a single file from it causing an even bigger operation and costs.
    but as I have just said, I didn't tried.

maybe I have a look into their newer intensive stuff some times, for now I am not that much interested at the given prcing point ;-)

Interesting idea about duplicating some files with glusterfs. I'll look into it.

can definitely recommend that. most likely "poor mans raid" but I like the effectivness on using the available space to a maximized flexibility. and also I can use the glusterfs to easily mount that mirrored space somewhere else e.g. my proxmox servers to directly dump VMs on it and such things.
    if you do use gluster across the public internet I recommend looking into using porper authentication restriction and ssl for encryption, if you have questions regarding this feel free to ask (maybe in another thread ;-))

• cjdcjd Member

Falzo said: if you do use gluster across the public internet I recommend looking into using porper authentication restriction and ssl for encryption

I'd love to do something like this - do you know of any good tutorials? I was thinking a VPN setup would probably be the best route?

• still available today

• JabroniJabroni Member
    edited March 2017

Finally I just got my server provisioned on RBX4 DC.. guess I'll be using this as archiving server till I can get a deal on a server with more specs :)

System Info
    -----------
    Processor       : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N2800   @ 1.86GHz
    CPU Cores       : 4
    Frequency       : 798.000 MHz
    Memory          : 3921 MB
    Swap            :  MB
    Uptime          : 17 min,

Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Release:        16.04
    Codename:       xenial
    Arch:           x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel:         3.14.32-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------

Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        11.3MB/s

Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       3.01MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       5.62MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       7.75MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       8.59MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Leaseweb        9.00MB/s
    San Francisco, CA, US   Leaseweb        5.62MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          4.27MB/s
    Hong Kong, China        Leaseweb        4.26MB/s
    Singapore               Leaseweb        2.87MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       4.72MB/s

Sydney, Australia       Vultr           3.16MB/s
    Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         10.1MB/s
    Germany                 Leaseweb        11.0MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        11.2MB/s
    France                  OVH             11.2MB/s
    France                  Online.net      11.2MB/s
    Frankfurt, Germany      Hetzner         10.4MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 136 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 136 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 136 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 136 MB/s

• just got mine, the disk is 5239 hours, i guess this is good right?

smartctl -a /dev/sda
        smartctl 6.4 2014-10-07 r4002 [x86_64-linux-3.14.32-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64] (local build)
        Copyright (C) 2002-14, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
        Device Model:     HGST HUS726020ALA610
        Serial Number:    N4G39ASY
        LU WWN Device Id: 5 000cca 245c18033
        Firmware Version: A5GNT920
        User Capacity:    2,000,398,934,016 bytes [2.00 TB]
        Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
        Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
        Form Factor:      3.5 inches
        Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
        ATA Version is:   ACS-2, ATA8-ACS T13/1699-D revision 4
        SATA Version is:  SATA 3.1, 6.0 Gb/s (current: 3.0 Gb/s)
        Local Time is:    Fri Mar 10 17:06:06 2017 CET
        SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
        SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
        SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
        Offline data collection status:  (0x80) Offline data collection activity
                                                was never started.
                                                Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
        Self-test execution status:      (   0) The previous self-test routine completed
                                                without error or no self-test has ever
                                                been run.
        Total time to complete Offline
        data collection:                (  113) seconds.
        Offline data collection
        capabilities:                    (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                                                Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
                                                Suspend Offline collection upon new
                                                command.
                                                Offline surface scan supported.
                                                Self-test supported.
                                                No Conveyance Self-test supported.
                                                Selective Self-test supported.
        SMART capabilities:            (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
                                                power-saving mode.
                                                Supports SMART auto save timer.
        Error logging capability:        (0x01) Error logging supported.
                                                General Purpose Logging supported.
        Short self-test routine
        recommended polling time:        (   2) minutes.
        Extended self-test routine
        recommended polling time:        ( 288) minutes.
        SCT capabilities:              (0x003d) SCT Status supported.
                                                SCT Error Recovery Control supported.
                                                SCT Feature Control supported.
                                                SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
        Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
        ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
          1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   016    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
          2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   136   136   054    Pre-fail  Offline      -       108
          3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   135   135   024    Pre-fail  Always       -       222 (Average 221)
          4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       18
          5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   005    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
          7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   067    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
          8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005   128   128   020    Pre-fail  Offline      -       18
          9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       5239
         10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   060    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
         12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       18
        192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       228
        193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       228
        194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   222   222   000    Old_age   Always       -       27 (Min/Max 10/41)
        196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
        197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
        198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
        199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
        No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
        Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
        # 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      5239         -
        # 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      5236         -
        # 3  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      5236         -
        # 4  Short offline       Completed without error       00%         5         -
        # 5  Short offline       Completed without error       00%         2         -
        # 6  Short offline       Completed without error       00%         2         -

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
         SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
            1        0        0  Not_testing
            2        0        0  Not_testing
            3        0        0  Not_testing
            4        0        0  Not_testing
            5        0        0  Not_testing
        Selective self-test flags (0x0):
          After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
        If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

• emptyPD said: just got mine, the disk is 5239 hours, i guess this is good right?

That's less than a year old. By Kimsufi standards, it's awesome.