Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Window Server Installation on HETZNER Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Window Server Installation on HETZNER Server

Hello,

Title says all ... I already have tried common method everyone use for Kimsufi, SoYouStart and similar.

If anyone can do it, I can pay for it.

Thanks.

Comments

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited February 2017

It's really simple. Go to Rescue and reboot your server in rescue mode.
    Then just:

wget -O- 'http://images.myhken.com/KS2012R21.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda

Wait to it's done. Reboot your server, this time not in Rescue mode.
    Then wait 5-6 minutes, then try to login via Remote Desktop

Username: Administrator Password: Password147

Did work for me.

Thanked by 2ehab StevenGeorge
  • You can also just ask for a free LARA session and do it over the remote console.

• myhken said: Did work for me.

why are you using gunzip? it will just slow down the writing.

i personally use larger templates (typically around 12-15GB) and write them directly which causes no slow speed.

• TarZZ92 said: why are you using gunzip? it will just slow down the writing.

It's the way I always have done it, and it always work. This image I linked to is a older image from Joodle. On all my own servers I use my own templates. But I'm using the same commands, just different filenames.

Maybe your way is better, I don't know. But I do know that my way works on Hetzner, OVH and Kimsufi, and I have quite a few Windows servers online.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Ask the hetzner to insert an usb-drive with the OS of choice.

Hook up LARA and install.

• But why do it the hard way when all you need to do is the one line I posted over...

• @myhken I have tried same thing earlier and just tried with your link but it's the same result not working.

Also, I have tried LARA but the ISO file is just not getting attached to the server like it get for other KVMs (IPMIs).

Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks.

• But what is not working? When do it stop/get a issue?
    Can you start in rescue mode and run the command?
    Is it after all is downloaded and you restart the server the issues starts?

• @myhken It downloads fine and also reboot without any issues. But it just not getting the Windows installed or something like that.

if you can help it would be great for me.

Thanks.

• Where do you live in the world? I'm living in Norway and going to bed now. But if you can wait to tomorrow, then order LARA and then we can try. LARA just because so you can see if Windows is starting on your server. Maybe it's some network card issue or something.

• @myhken said:
    Where do you live in the world? I'm living in Norway and going to bed now. But if you can wait to tomorrow, then order LARA and then we can try. LARA just because so you can see if Windows is starting on your server. Maybe it's some network card issue or something.

I will knock you during your daytime and then we will request for LARA. If possible please leave your Skype ID on PM.

Thanks.

• @myhken There's an issue with the drivers or something afaik. The server bricks itself after 15-20 minutes of running.

Hetzner needs its own templates, Kimsufi doesn't cut it, unfortunately.

• RodneyRodney Member
    edited February 2017

You can also install via something like this: http://notfor.pro/post/installing-windows-on-onlinenet-using-rescue-system (Long story short: use a QEMU VM with the real HDD and an ISO attached, install windows through VNC, reboot vm, configure networking (enable RDP etc.), disable rescue system and reboot the host into windows).

That's how I installed windows on my hetzner machine the last time.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@StevenGeorge said:

Also, I have tried LARA but the ISO file is just not getting attached to the server like it get for other KVMs (IPMIs).

Is there anything else I should try?

Thanks.

@mikho said:
    Ask hetzner to insert an usb-drive with the OS of choice.

I tried 6 hours to install esxi using the virtual media function in LARA before it finally booted from the iso.

The reinstall (since I managed to install a unsupported version) was simpler since I asked the support about the usb-drive.

• varunchopra said: Hetzner needs its own templates, Kimsufi doesn't cut it, unfortunately.

You're wrong there. The template I linked to did work. The issue on this server was that somebody had changed the BIOS settings, so the server did not boot from HDD at all. With LARA I did changed the BIOS settings, and everything worked OK.

I have no own template for Hetzner servers, but I had to make one template for Online.net servers. But after updating Intel PRO drivers, my main template do now work at both Hetzner, OVH, Kimsufi and Online.net (PS! It's not the template I linked to)

• myhken said: Maybe your way is better, I don't know. But I do know that my way works on Hetzner, OVH and Kimsufi, and I have quite a few Windows servers online.

it's pretty much the same but faster. you dd directly from the raw/d file

• TarZZ92 said: it's pretty much the same but faster. you dd directly from the raw/d file

What will the commands be to create a template, there I use
    dd if=/dev/sda | gzip -1 | dd of=/mnt/temp/KS2012R21new.gz

and to restore it, I use
    wget -O- 'http://images.myhken.com/KS2012R21new.gz' | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda

Thanked by 1nick007
  • @mykhen Do you have the Windows Server 2016 template?

• @Luke007 you are the second one to ask...I can create one. Give me a couple of hours

• I checked Blazemuis' template but the mirror seems to be down.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited February 2017

@Luke007 here you go: wget -O- ‘http://images.myhken.com/KS2016v001.gz’ | gunzip | dd of=/dev/sda I have not tested it, so please tell me if it do not work on you server and what server/hosts that are.

Username: Administrator Password: Password147

Thanked by 1Luke007
  • Thanks. I will check in the morning. It's 12 am here :D

• myhken said: please tell me if it do not work on you server

Doesn't work in KS 3C (i3 2130, Intel 82579v NIC)

• vishvish Member

@Luke007 said:

myhken said: please tell me if it do not work on you server

Doesn't work in KS 3C (i3 2130, Intel 82579v NIC)

Windows won't auto detect that NIC. you have to manually install the inf. There is a nice long thread about it here: https://forum.kimsufi.com/showthread.php?21993-Qemu-in-rescue-system-e-g-Windows-installation/page14

• vish said: Windows won't auto detect that NIC

@Luke007

I have installed all the drivers in Intel ProWinx64.exe on that template, using pnputil.exe -a *.inf But I can see that the network card in question don't have Server 2016 support. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/52963/Intel-82579V-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY

• saibalsaibal Member
    edited March 2017

The drivers for Server 2016 are here:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26092/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-Server-2016-

No support for 82579V :-(

@Luke007: Could you try this thread:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/92744/online-net-dedibox-xc-sc-2016-windows-templates/p1

• @saibal I have installed that driver pack on my W2016 template.

• @myhken: Right. But there is no driver for the 82579V in that pack. Is there a way to install the Server 2012 R2 or Windows 10 drivers into the 2016 template? pnputil probably checks the OS string to determine which drivers to add. Is there a way to bypass the OS string check? Something like the compatibility mode in Windows?

• @saibal I really don't know. And I do not think I will use any time on it. Just made this template to be nice. Have no plans to be the next template guy here. @IHaveADarkPassenger is your go to guy there.

• FilipeFilipe Member, Host Rep

What's the OS that you're trying to install? W2k12? W2k16?

I remember that I've successfully installed w2k8 there.