Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DigitalOcean Abuse Account Problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DigitalOcean Abuse Account Problem

Hello Lowendtalk users,

I have a Digital Ocean account that's have locked for "abuse account". I don't understand why my account is locked. Every I ask to support, they just response the same message. I'm frustrating because they shutdown my droplet without any notification and I have not backup the data before. This is the screenshot: https://ibb.co/f2ZiGF

Do you have same problem before? I want to backup my data in that droplet.
I asked to jarland few hours ago, but seems he can not help me now.

Comments

• What naughty things were you doing?

• @Nekki +1 im also curious what you have done OP so bad for them to not allow any access to your droplet

• piohost said: @Nekki +1 im also curious what you have done OP so bad for them to not allow any access to your droplet

Not to mention that he doesn't dispute the locking of the droplet.

• @Nekki said:
    What naughty things were you doing?

@piohost said:
    @Nekki +1 im also curious what you have done OP so bad for them to not allow any access to your droplet

My digitalocean account is started from 18/10/2016, I have not any problem before. I used real mail account from my academy that can get the github student pack promo from DO.

I have 1 active droplet with some website.
    1 is personal blog with wordpress
    1 more is website with auto create linux user account on my other server in DO in other account and other vps that I have. I used phpseclib to do that.

I think because I have multiple account with DO or because 1 website is not secure or vulnerability.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

That's very harsh answers from support. And if they can't tell you more about situation - probably authorities is on the way to your home in order to explain...

• @eofsay said:

@Nekki said:
    What naughty things were you doing?

@piohost said:
    @Nekki +1 im also curious what you have done OP so bad for them to not allow any access to your droplet

My digitalocean account is started from 18/10/2016, I have not any problem before. I used real mail account from my academy that can get the github student pack promo from DO.

I have 1 active droplet with some website.
    1 is personal blog with wordpress
    1 more is website with auto create linux user account on my other server in DO in other account and other vps that I have. I used phpseclib to do that.

I think because I have multiple account with DO or because 1 website is not secure or vulnerability.

I doubt they locked one droplet because of multiple accounts.

If your website is insecure or vulnerable and has been compromised then that's your own silly fault, just as it's your fault you have no backups.

• @time4vps said:
    That's very harsh answers from support. And if they can't tell you more about situation - probably authorities is on the way to your home in order to explain...

Interpol?

• varwwwvarwww Member
    edited February 2017

They could have put the droplet to read-only and sent a warning notification instead of blocking access completely and not letting you to download your files. Let us know how it goes. If you end up not getting back your data, I won't recommend DigitalOcean to anyone again.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

time4vps said: And if they can't tell you more about situation - probably authorities is on the way to your home in order to explain...

I would have thought the same, however, the detected patterns stuff does not match.

• This will give you a lesson to always have back up of your data

• permatahostpermatahost Member
    edited February 2017

its my firstime see someone have problem with digitalocean abuse support.
    Whatever OP do itsn't right for a company to suspend client vps and didnt give their data without explain it reason.

bytheway will it be another big drama?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2017

Personally I'm on paternity leave right now but passed on your message. I can't and won't comment on account specific matters over mediums like this but I will tell you that the two people who responded to that ticket are people I would trust with my life. If they responded in such a way, it is inconceivable to me that they said it inappropriately.

With that said, I say that purely as opinion on my two teammates that I know and trust. I do not know the rest of the story. Just wanted to say that. I am speaking in the same manner that I might speak if I was not with the company, not in any official capacity.

• With the reputation that do have I doubt they locked your account for no reason and the responce they are giving you makes me think even more that you had worse thing on your vps then you say, that being said in just speculating but if they locked your vps and wont and over your data I expect your data will likey be illegal and well that your own fault not to mention not having a backup .....

• are you hosting something with illegal or sensitive content?

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2017

Nekki said: Interpol?

We had few situations when scum hosted child related adult material. Usually we receive notification from our local authorities, lock up server and in any circumstances do not unlock it until authorities arrive.

Thanked by 2doughmanes dedicados
  • Could people quit blaming OP about backups? Unless you expect a host to deadpool, most people are ok hosting primary data and backups at the same company as long as they're on separate computers, or maybe separate DC locations if they're really careful. In this case the person's entire access to DO was locked, so having backups in another DO data center would have been useless.

• try twitter,it works in my case.

• @willie Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Real backup do you have on several locations, DC and hosts. Or a copy at home? Don't care about how big the host is...you always keep offsite backups.

1. We don't know what you are doing on your VPS.
    2. It is less than 24H happened, give them sometime.
    3. You are always fuck up without a backup.
    Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • eofsayeofsay Member
    edited February 2017

@admsam said:
    are you hosting something with illegal or sensitive content?

I don't have illegal content like cracked software, adult content, etc. The website just personal blog with education content that mostly I write from my book from my school and one more site is auto create linux user from other vps that I have. Looks like f***ssh.com site.

But I store my backup linux user account on that droplet every day at midnight from my other vps with root access in crontab. I used scp.

edited February 2017

@eofsay said:
    one more site is auto create linux user from other vps that I have. Looks like f***ssh.com site.

Is that one of those websites that gives away free shell accounts? Could be language barrier but those words made me think of those, had seen them in the past.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited February 2017

willie said: Could people quit blaming OP about backups? Unless you expect a host to deadpool, most people are ok hosting primary data and backups at the same company as long as they're on separate computers, or maybe separate DC locations if they're really careful. In this case the person's entire access to DO was locked, so having backups in another DO data center would have been useless.

Hmm, no, it is your responsibility to maintain offsite back-ups for your data. Your suggestions is silly, why would someone leave their only copy of data on a single provider if the information is important? Even if I had a server with AWS or Google I would keep an offsite back-up, let alone a self managed (unmanaged) service like Digital Ocean.

I am not going to berate the OP more, but to me it sounds like he probably purposely doesn't have a back-up of whats located on that Droplet they have blocked and we are not getting the whole picture about why they have locked his services in such a way. Anyone with half a brain knows to keep an offsite back-up if their data is important, so either the op was afraid to store the data elsewhere or it really isn't as important as is being suggested.

That said, I haven't used my Digital Ocean account since the India location release where I deployed a Debian 8 server before I went to bed (to test) and because they failed to secure their templates, by the time I woke up the next day I was suspended for sending denial of service attacks from the Droplet. Someone had exploited their template and gained access to my droplet and when I explained to support they had an insecure template they didn't give a shit and gave me the "That's nice" type response. So, since then I have destroyed all my droplets and refuse to use the service for anything but testing.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @Nekki said:
    I doubt they locked one droplet because of multiple accounts.

If your website is insecure or vulnerable and has been compromised then that's your own silly fault, just as it's your fault you have no backups.

I know, that's my fault I have not other backup vps. Sadly, I used that droplet for backup my data.

@didtav said:
    This will give you a lesson to always have back up of your data

I agree with you, thank you.

@willie said:
    Could people quit blaming OP about backups? Unless you expect a host to deadpool, most people are ok hosting primary data and backups at the same company as long as they're on separate computers, or maybe separate DC locations if they're really careful. In this case the person's entire access to DO was locked, so having backups in another DO data center would have been useless.

Thank you for your response. Sorry my english is still bad, I can not understand all your message.

@maoyipeng said:
    try twitter,it works in my case.

Nice info, thank you.

• @jarland said:

@eofsay said:
    one more site is auto create linux user from other vps that I have. Looks like f***ssh.com site.

Is that one of those websites that gives away free shell accounts? Could be language barrier but those words made me think of those, had seen them in the past.

Yes it is. But the account can not login to shell, just login to ssh (I used dropbear) or vpn for internet access purpose only.

Thanked by 1jar
  • I liked digitalocean, and i received two dmca's (For infringing content for about a chat site) that were false when the content the fake dmca was stating, and digitalocean didn't offer me a chance to prove it wrong and just locked the account and wouldn't let me back on their network.

edited February 2017

@Foul said:
    I liked digitalocean, and i received two dmca's (For infringing content for about a chat site) that were false when the content the fake dmca was stating, and digitalocean didn't offer me a chance to prove it wrong and just locked the account and wouldn't let me back on their network.

Did you respond to the DMCA tickets within a reasonable time frame, before the account had been locked?

• jarland said: Did you respond to the DMCA tickets within a reasonable time frame, before the account had been locked?

Sure did, within few hours of getting the e-mail. You guys never gave me a chance to back up and show proof it was false.

Thanked by 1jar

@Foul said:

jarland said: Did you respond to the DMCA tickets within a reasonable time frame, before the account had been locked?

Sure did, within few hours of getting the e-mail. You guys never gave me a chance to back up and show proof it was false.

Weird. I think I'd like to review that when I get back.

Thanked by 1Foul
  • @jarland said:
    Weird. I think I'd like to review that when I get back.

When will you get back? please help me with my problem later. Thank you.

• willie said: Could people quit blaming OP about backups? Unless you expect a host to deadpool, most people are ok hosting primary data and backups at the same company as long as they're on separate computers, or maybe separate DC locations if they're really careful. In this case the person's entire access to DO was locked, so having backups in another DO data center would have been useless.

No mate.

Unless you're with a massive corporate and you have a contract with SLAs etc built in to cover all eventualities and to cover compensation due to data loss, you should never keep all your data with a single provider.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
This discussion has been closed.