Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

virmach chicago 512 kvm
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

virmach chicago 512 kvm

zhuyijunzhuyijun Member
edited February 2017 in General

i buy a 512 kvm of chicago but the ip is a colocrossing ip ,not test ip like http://chi.lg.virmach.com/ 170.130.139.3 which is Eonix ip ,anybody ip is too ??

Comments

• so ?

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @add_iT said:
    so ?

anyone who bought also CC ?

• You should have asked them before hand if you wanted an IP from Eonix. Maybe ticket in? They should be able to migrate you if you pay them $3 migration fee, given that if they have space on their serverhub node.

• To be fair, having your LG on a different network than the actual vps is close to scamming in my book...

• @teamacc said:
    To be fair, having your LG on a different network than the actual vps is close to scamming in my book...

Agreed..

• zhuyijun said: anyone who bought also CC ?

I think they did not have any space left for serverhub / eonix

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    You should have asked them before hand if you wanted an IP from Eonix. Maybe ticket in? They should be able to migrate you if you pay them $3 migration fee, given that if they have space on their serverhub node.

i have tk ,they said cant be to moved but didnot say why

• @zhuyijun said:

@TheOnlyDK said:
    You should have asked them before hand if you wanted an IP from Eonix. Maybe ticket in? They should be able to migrate you if you pay them $3 migration fee, given that if they have space on their serverhub node.

i have tk ,they said cant be to moved but didnot say why

• @add_iT said:

zhuyijun said: anyone who bought also CC ?

then the should state that and i can wait for to be restocked ,but they seemed did nothing

• @zhuyijun said:

@add_iT said:

zhuyijun said: anyone who bought also CC ?

then the should state that and i can wait for to be restocked ,but they seemed did nothing

• Tagging @Virmach for their input/response.

• @ATHK said:

@teamacc said:
    To be fair, having your LG on a different network than the actual vps is close to scamming in my book...

Agreed..

Scamming maybe a strong word, but you've got a point.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited February 2017

That's the sort of crap CVPS/HVH would pull, is virmarch owned by CC now, would make sense with that sort of tactic?

Thanked by 2Yura doughmanes
  • Virmach's Chicago nodes are ridiculously under-powered and faulty. They moved my small VPS 3 times and yet the VPS is not usable for any serious work... the disk I/O is not even 30Mb/s. The previous node was unstable and VPS would stop every week or so.

The Buffalo NYC network I/O even within US was under 1mbps.

The staff seems more concerned about sales and stuffing more onto their nodes, not really intended towards a better stable service. I would not recommend (atleast their specials that I experienced) for any serious production use.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • mehargags said: Virmach's Chicago nodes are ridiculously under-powered and faulty.

Is this a KVM or OVZ node ?

• I just remembered I have a couple of virmach boxes in non-chicago locations.

Time to take them for a l'il drive.

• mehargags said: The staff seems more concerned about sales and stuffing more onto their nodes, not really intended towards a better stable service.

Not to mention my experience of just being automatically billed without an email going out 3-5 or 7 days in advance saying "hey you got a bill coming up" which sometimes I'll use that email to decide to keep the service by paying the bill or canceling.

Thanked by 1Unixfy
  • UnixfyUnixfy Member
    edited February 2017

doughmanes said: Not to mention my experience of just being automatically billed without an email going out 3-5 or 7 days in advance saying "hey you got a bill coming up" which sometimes I'll use that email to decide to keep the service by paying the bill or canceling.

Same happened to me, but at least they let me cancel my service and removed the invoice

• Automatic payment was made and less than 15 minutes after that, wouldn't allow me to cancel the service. It was handled through Paypal. This was the first provider I ever seen do this and I remember when 512mb VPS servers used to be $20/mo

• @doughmanes said:
    Automatic payment was made and less than 15 minutes after that, wouldn't allow me to cancel the service. It was handled through Paypal. This was the first provider I ever seen do this and I remember when 512mb VPS servers used to be $20/mo

Pretty much the same story happened to me with @ChicagoVPS. Signed up for a month, didn't use it after an initial test but decided to let it idle, not contact for a cancel or anything. Month later billed by PayPal, contacted support the same day to cancel my second month. They refused a refund on the second month even if I didn't use their resources and asked nicely on the first day of second month. Ugh. $20 down the drain.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

@zhuyijun said:
    i buy a 512 kvm of chicago but the ip is a colocrossing ip ,not test ip like http://chi.lg.virmach.com/ 170.130.139.3 which is Eonix ip ,anybody ip is too ??

add_iT said: I think they did not have any space left for serverhub / eonix

zhuyijun said: i have tk ,they said cant be to moved but didnot say why

@add_iT is correct. As you were told on the other thread, the IP block that the looking glass is on is sold out - Eonix is also sold out at the moment. I apologize if Syed was not thorough with the answer in the ticket, but on Saturdays, he's usually the only one working and he had to handle a 2-3x volume of tickets due to the sale. He likes to get through tickets on the weekends so there's no backlogs left and sometimes he has to cut his answers short.

In any case though, you can reply to the ticket asking for more information rather than asking about it here. You would most likely get a faster response as we do not monitor LET at all times.

TheOnlyDK said: You should have asked them before hand if you wanted an IP from Eonix. Maybe ticket in? They should be able to migrate you if you pay them $3 migration fee, given that if they have space on their serverhub node.

We would have most likely migrated for free, if any were available. If people have custom requests, do we encourage them to ask first.

teamacc said: To be fair, having your LG on a different network than the actual vps is close to scamming in my book...

ATHK said: Agreed..

AnthonySmith said: That's the sort of crap CVPS/HVH would pull, is virmarch owned by CC now, would make sense with that sort of tactic?

Yura said: Scamming maybe a strong word, but you've got a point.

I apologize for the confusion. This isn't any kind of "tactic" or done on purpose. We just never added a separate LG. I'll see if we can find a solution to locations that use multiple providers now without confusing people further, since they can't really select where they'll be placed.

Basically, what happened was that we used Eonix in specific locations. However, due to issues with them (several months to deliver servers, delivering faulty hardware, broken IPv6, and so on) we decided to just go with ColoCrossing in as many locations as we could, at the time. We are once again trying to restock with Eonix, but in the meantime some locations are sold out at the moment with Eonix.

I do want to note that the customer is eligible for a cancellation and refund. We are not forcing he keep the service in this situation. We would have moved him to Eonix, but we simply do not have stock.

mehargags said: Virmach's Chicago nodes are ridiculously under-powered and faulty. They moved my small VPS 3 times and yet the VPS is not usable for any serious work... the disk I/O is not even 30Mb/s. The previous node was unstable and VPS would stop every week or so.

Please do report any issues. If you did report an issue and your report was ignored, I'd like to personally handle this situation. Please private message me your ticket number. We did have some minor issues, with the disks on an Eonix node. This was one reason we no longer got servers from them in Chicago. If this wasn't the case, please provide more information.

The Buffalo NYC network I/O even within US was under 1mbps.

As you may know, our servers in Buffalo, NY (not NYC) uses RioRey appliances for filtering. Unfortunately there appears to be a known issue with the RioRey appliances that causes this problem at times.

We are hoping some upcoming patches resolve the issue. We may or may not announce a removal of the protection if the issues persist, as we are fed up with it as well. I sincerely apologize about this issue but it's completely out of our control at this time. RioRey is aware of the issue.

The staff seems more concerned about sales and stuffing more onto their nodes, not really intended towards a better stable service. I would not recommend (atleast their specials that I experienced) for any serious production use.

We definitely are extremely focused on better services. We had a lot of attacks in Los Angeles, so we launched Voxility protection there at a great cost to us and a low cost to customers, in case they ever need the service. We are coming up with backup services soon. Although at first it won't be automated and will cost a fee to retrieve your backup, we plan on improving this service this year.

We have also increased the disk space and processing power on many plans without raising costs. We were beta testing a custom anti-abuse script, and once some false-positive issues have been ironed out we will be deploying them on all nodes to make sure someone abusing disk, for example, cannot affect neighbors negatively. We do multiple daily checks on all nodes, currently manually, to ensure that no system is having issues. We run network checks and other checks every day to make sure all servers are performing optimally. There's a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes, and I do apologize if there are a few hiccups but for the most part our services are better than ever. We've even cut down support response times in at least half through the entire day on weekdays. We were definitely not concerned with sales, as we did not have a sale all year until now because we were focused on improvements.

karatekidmonkey said: Same happened to me, but at least they let me cancel my service and removed the invoice

doughmanes said: Automatic payment was made and less than 15 minutes after that, wouldn't allow me to cancel the service. It was handled through Paypal. This was the first provider I ever seen do this and I remember when 512mb VPS servers used to be $20/mo

Okay, so I'd like to describe in-depth why we do this. PayPal works differently, so first let's talk about credit card.

First I want to make clear that we have it enabled on our billing system where you can select to disable automatic billing when you add your credit card. Most of our customers are the ones that remain with us, and most people do not like paying for their service manually every month. Most likely every service you use (and definitely most the services I use) are on automatic billing. We try to make it clear everywhere that everything is automatic. Sometimes, when automatic payments fail, customers get extremely upset that they had to pay manually and they're upset their service was suspended, and so on. So we try to avoid that with the 3 day advance charge. If someone's card fails, they know a few days in advance, before their service is suspended. This isn't an uncommon thing to do. Many services I use, at least, charge a few days in advance.

We tend to be a little more lenient in terms of being billed early, if you made a cancellation request any time close to the re-billing.

Which brings us to the next issue.

We try to keep costs down and once upon a time at VirMach, everyone decided they could just not cancel their services because they could either contact us for a refund. Then they also got payment overdue emails and would contact us to ask us to stop emailing them. It was a huge mess, and it took up a lot of support time. So we decided to go with the no refund if you forget to cancel policy, and tried to draw as much attention as we could that people could simply cancel by pressing a button on their service page. It worked, and now we have a relatively smaller number of customers per month who complain either way.

Billing support isn't free, so when you get in a situation where it needs manual approval by higher-ups, your refund ends up costing us money. So instead of charging processing fees in these situations we just deny it, because then we would have to spend a large amount of time arguing with people that don't want to pay a processing fee. We have started being a little more lenient on all this, but again, we don't want everyone to be encouraged to not just cancel their service on time through our automated system, which saves everyone's time.

Now with PayPal, we used to use a different billing module. It would use PayPal's old system of sending payments to us from your account, whether we asked for it or not. This would result in a lot of accidental double payments, etc. I don't believe this charged people 3 days in advance. However, our new module goes by the credit card settings, so you're probably billed 3 days in advance as well. This does help in some situations, but not as much as credit cards. I'll ask the module developers if they can add in a feature to just bill this same-day.

doughmanes said: Not to mention my experience of just being automatically billed without an email going out 3-5 or 7 days in advance saying "hey you got a bill coming up" which sometimes I'll use that email to decide to keep the service by paying the bill or canceling.

There's a purpose for this.

People would complain that they have automatic billing enabled and would ask us why they're receiving an invoice e-mail. The e-mail telling people their bill is coming up would confuse a lot of customers, which would result in them either complaining, or accidentally thinking they weren't being billed automatically, which would sometimes result in double billing - especially with our old module.

Yura said: Pretty much the same story happened to me with @ChicagoVPS. Signed up for a month, didn't use it after an initial test but decided to let it idle, not contact for a cancel or anything. Month later billed by PayPal, contacted support the same day to cancel my second month. They refused a refund on the second month even if I didn't use their resources and asked nicely on the first day of second month. Ugh. $20 down the drain.

The reason the same story happens with other hosts isn't because they're bad, it's just the best way to do things. I used to have a service with RamNode for a while, and their system worked just like our old system. If you cancelled a service, PayPal payments still continued (due to the old module) so it went to your store credits. This happened to me, and they had the same policies in place. Just to clarify, we don't bill at all anymore if you cancel. So all you need to do is cancel, and if you forget and contact us, at minimum you have the option to take store credit so it's not money "down the drain."

So to wrap it up, what everyone thinks are tactics to trick customers have their purposes. They end up helping more customers and they end up cutting down the amount of support we have to provide every month in regards to payments, which helps keep prices low.

I hope I was pretty descriptive. Please feel free to ask further questions or give any suggestions.

Dextronox said: Tagging @Virmach for their input/response.

Thanks for the tag. I probably would not have seen this otherwise, at least for a few days.

Thanked by 2angstrom FredQc
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

VirMach said: broken IPv6, and so on) we decided to just go with ColoCrossing

Francisco

Thanked by 2teamacc doughmanes
  • VirMach said: If you cancelled a service, PayPal payments still continue

Some other hosts have decided to not allow paypal subscriptions because of the recurring hassles from this.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
    edited February 2017

Francisco said: Francisco

Since we have no control over it, I guess we'd rather have no IPv6 than IPv6 that breaks for several months at a time. One keeps some customers away, the other attracts customers that need something that doesn't always work. Eonix wasn't ready for IPv6 and decided to do it anyway. ColoCrossing isn't ready for IPv6 and isn't doing it - I can respect that now. (edit) This obviously wasn't the main factor for moving away from Eonix.

willie said: Some other hosts have decided to not allow paypal subscriptions because of the recurring hassles from this.

We found another solution which was moving onto billing agreements. This allows us to charge customers so we can adjust the amount charged when a custom upgrades, downgrades, or cancels (adjust to $0.) However, this solution created the other problem people talk about, which is being billed 3 days in advance on PayPal as well - which didn't happen on the old module.

I'll see what can be done about this. We've already contacted the developers to see if we can allow customers to pay without a billing agreement when making a deposit as well.

VirMach said: Since we have no control over it, I guess we'd rather have no IPv6 than IPv6 that breaks for several months at a time. One keeps some customers away, the other attracts customers that need something that doesn't always work. Eonix wasn't ready for IPv6 and decided to do it anyway. ColoCrossing isn't ready for IPv6 and isn't doing it - I can respect that now.

I'm just helping cut the tension some, it's an ongoing meme around these parts and has been for I dunno, 5 years?

Francisco

Francisco said: I'm just helping cut the tension some, it's an ongoing meme around these parts and has been for I dunno, 5 years?

Francisco

Sorry, I just got very serious with my reply on this thread. In that case let me just repost something I made a while back that you might appreciate.

VirMach said: Nice wrap. Now you just need blue rims. I was going to do a little quick mockup of what it would look like but I got carried away. Please don't tell Greg.

Thanked by 2Francisco FredQc

That's hilarious, though it'd be better if it was a cliff :D

Francisco

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • @Francisco said:
    That's hilarious, though it'd be better if it was a cliff :D

Francisco

More realistic if it was just a road that ran out shortly after where the car is now.

Thanked by 2Francisco Yura
  • @VirMach said:

TheOnlyDK said: You should have asked them before hand if you wanted an IP from Eonix. Maybe ticket in? They should be able to migrate you if you pay them $3 migration fee, given that if they have space on their serverhub node.

We would have most likely migrated for free, if any were available. If people have custom requests, do we encourage them to ask first.

Well, I had a box migrated to Seattle (paid the $3 migration fee) but ended on a node in CC instead of Eonix (didn't even know you had CC for Seattle location before the migration), asked if I can be moved to Eonix instead but got told to pay another $3. Given the price of the server, I just let it sit in CC's network which has way more down time compared to the one in Eonix.

• 你的英语讲的实在太吊了。。佩服佩服 。。