Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$10/yr VPS: Possible? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$10/yr VPS: Possible?

2»

Comments

• jhjh Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: 99.8% uptime is really really bad

Not for a LEB

• That figure is normally associated to the SLA before compensation is paid, hosts always endeavour to maintain 100%
    From top of my head, 0.2 % is approx 80 mins per month

• @gsrdgrdghd said: 99.8% uptime is really really bad

I would be more interested in what that SLA doesn't cover. Too many providers have way too many exceptions in their SLAs that they're pretty much worthless at times.

Also check to see if the SLA covers just the network or the actual box the site sits on. Again many providers just have their SLA cover their network.

Also who determines downtime and under what conditions. I know my dedicated uplink providers, any down time lasting under 3 minutes isn't counted against their SLA. (ie they have a hiccup clause)

Which provider did we have here who had a 100% SLA and they pretty much ignored it with many of us repeatedly pointing out to them? I wanna say iPap but I think it was someone else...

• Best way to find out is to ask and present a concrete example, then see what the ISP answers.

• Sorry if I havent replied, thats because the Castlegem guys (@ozfingwe) have been generous to offer

512 mb ram, 60gb disk space, 500gb bw Xen PV

conclusion: effn possible!

• @yowmamasita said: Sorry if I havent replied, thats because the Castlegem guys (@ozfingwe) have been generous to offer

512 mb ram, 60gb disk space, 500gb bw Xen PV

conclusion: effn possible!

The price on his/her/their website is many times more than that price so I assume he/./. practically just gave it away. So in the same sense I can conclude that $0.0/yr vps is also possible.

• @dnom said: I can conclude that $0.0/yr vps is also possible.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1013/free-vps-o

Just want to thank everyone for their inputs! I will put those in mind

• @gsrdgrdghd said: 99.8% uptime is really really bad

So you want to pay sub $5 per month, but 100% uptime?

• @yowmamasita welcome :)
    @dnom - it is ;-)
    @Joel - uptime, IMHO, should not be a function of price, or at least price should not be a significant parameter here. Anyone running a tight ship will strive to achieve 100% uptime. I agree one shouldnt expect too much support, or too much of holding hands for lowend contracts, but I believe these offers are geared towards those who have capabilities in self management. Why would price define the uptime of a node - only if you have nasty hardware, a horrible uplink, or a disaster admin, but in all these cases I believe one should then reconsider entering that market segment at all, as it is going to cause a lot of grief on both sides?

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • @ozfingwe said: uptime, IMHO, should not be a function of price

While I agree with this. 100% uptime is something else. you usually have to have HW/network redundancy setup (some calls it cloud) and it has additional cost.

• Agree - it is de facto not possible to have a permanent 100% uptime simply because eventually something will fail, sooner or later. The more redundancy, the later (hopefully). The tiny digits behind 99.99 will cost a lot more than the initial 99.99 %-)

• @ozfingwe said: Why would price define the uptime of a node - only if you have nasty hardware

You just answered your own question, with better hardware comes better reliability as you have access to better configurations which can offer better redundancy. Both at a node level and a network level.

• Yes, at the end we are talking about the tiny digits I guess. We run server grade machines, exclusively. Intel based machines, Sun Sparcs, and IBM's P7. In terms of redundancy, the P7 beats all the others easily. But if you factor in maintenance downtime due to OS updates, you will find that the uptime is de facto identical. From experience, a lot of hardware tends to fail either very early in its lifecycle, or last until doomsday (if you treat it properly, i.e.)

• @ozfingwe said: or last until doomsday (if you treat it properly, i.e.)

2x Dell 1750's going strong ;)

• wow! good on yer, mate that's really something! :-)

• @ozfingwe said: uptime, IMHO, should not be a function of price, or at least price should not be a significant parameter here.

this should be a thumb rule for everyone