Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$10/yr VPS: Possible?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

$10/yr VPS: Possible?

yowmamasitayowmamasita Member
edited January 2012 in General

Our organization is walking on tight ropes financially, but it's amazing that we still managed to get a budget for a website and our .org domain. I promised them to make $18 (Php 800) fit.

Luckily, I found http://internetbs.net offering $7.99 .org transfer, and I'm really confident that I'll find the remaining $10 a place in the shared hosting world. Found out there's http://www.hostthename.com having special promos last November (offered unlimited hosting for $9.45). I signed up in good faith and after a month, I gave up with all the down times the website gone through. Good thing they also offer 30-day money back guarantee :)

I then continued my search for other hosts... all I found were unprofessional looking sites. Somebody from DP forums even offered me a $6/yr deal but when I asked him about the website, he told me he's doing his trade via email only. Oh...

Then I remembered LEB :) I've never seen $10/year deals here but I did remember seeing around $15 for a 128mb. Since We'll only be hosting a static site so 128mb is surplus. We're thinking of upgrading to WP as well. If you know someone who's willing to adjust to our price, it would really be a big help if you could refer us to them. We do promise that we'll only host a single domain :)

A dozen thank yous and kisses in advance!

PS. yes, we're non-profit & socio-civic org here in the philippines

Comments

• 123system is offering $10/year VPS, you may give them a try :D

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • If your really a non-profit you should have no problem finding free hosting. Try somewhere like :

http://www.grassroots.org/services/free-website-hosting

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • If it's just a static site, is an entire VPS necessary?

• @charliecron said: If your really a non-profit you should have no problem finding free hosting. Try somewhere like :

http://www.grassroots.org/services/free-website-hosting

"Membership is free and open to all registered U.S. 501c3 nonprofits and Canadian Charitable Organizations"

We're from the Philippines :( http://iskwiki.upd.edu.ph/index.php/UP_Lakan

@giang said: 123system is offering $10/year VPS, you may give them a try :D

ive heard good and bad things about them, do you think they are any better than HTN? :)

• @charliecron said: If your really a non-profit you should have no problem finding free hosting.

Usually, free hosting offers like that are aimed at charitable organizations. "Non-profit" and "charitable" are very different things.

https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ may be an option if your website traffic isn't high.

@yowmamasita said: Since We'll only be hosting a static site so 128mb is surplus. We're thinking of upgrading to WP as well.

A static site and a Wordpress site are very, very different things. Hosting a static site on $10/year is doable. Hosting a Wordpress site is questionable, unless someone makes you a special deal.

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • @yowmamasita said: ive heard good and bad things about them, do you think they are any better than HTN? :)

You should ask @Joel about them. The owner curls up in a ball and cries to my boss whenever I say anything negative about his company, no matter how true it is, so for the sake of Fran's headache I'll refrain from comment :P

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • Do you really need a VPS? There is a lot of <= 10$/y hosting offers on the wht.

• yowmamasitayowmamasita Member
    edited January 2012

@sleddog said: https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/ may be an option if your website traffic isn't high.

Can't make the price drop to $10 unless I use <100mb bw w/ 5mb storage https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/estimate

@Aldryic said: so for the sake of Fran's headache I'll refrain from comment :P

LOL, thanks for the link, I will contact him then! :)

@breton said: Do you really need a VPS? There is a lot of <= 10$/y hosting offers on the wht.

I'm really looking for a decent host with a very good uptime... and I am not closing my doors to shared hosting :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@yowmamasita said: I'm really looking for a decent host with a very good uptime... and I am not closing my doors to shared hosting :)

I'll be honest, that's hard on a $10/y VPS. So many providers have tried the super budget market and 99% of them fail within a month or three. Many of them try to pull it off with single disk arrays and then performance is CRAP pretty quick due to the overload.

So, they claim they're upgrading their node, the users hold tight. They get a big better of a node but then have to overload it way more to make up for the new cost of this bigger box.

Very few VPS companies around here (maybe a good hand full) actually have their own equipment and only a very small hand full have their own IP space to make some of these prices doable.

I always warn people to do a bit of quick math to see how possible a price is to offer. If you can't make it work easily, they likely can't either. One thing I can give a plus to our own column to, is we're always very transparent/open with our operating costs, what we have, what equipment is involved and even our commit usage on our bandwidth. Because of that people know exactly what they're getting into with us and if there's anything they don't approve of (usually @Aldryic himself >_>) they know that before hand and can make their own choices.

Francisco

Thanked by 1yowmamasita
  • @Francisco

Thanks for the eye opener! :) Hmm.. I wonder what choices I have left...

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep
    edited January 2012

@yowmamasita said: Thanks for the eye opener! :) Hmm.. I wonder what choices I have left...

BuyVM $15/year which at least still alive until now :D

• 123systems is on its way to the deadpool. The owner doesn't support the existing client base yet keeps taking now signups saturating the nodes even further and diluting what little support exists (if any). You would be wise to avoid them like the plague.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@yowmamasita said: Thanks for the eye opener! :) Hmm.. I wonder what choices I have left...

I'm not giving a blessing/frown to any provider that's offering it besides us. I can tell you that when we helped form the super budget market, though, we we questioned very heavily about how we were handling it. Alas, people saw us doing it and assumed "Well, these people gotta be copy/pasting buyvm in that aspect too" but alas, thousands and thousands and THOUSANDS of people have been scammed by this market.

Francisco

• @yowmamasita said: ive heard good and bad things about them, do you think they are any better than HTN? :)

So, you want quality at $10 per year, wow.

• @yomero said: So, you want quality at $10 per year, wow.

That defends on our luck. A friend of me got one and his VPS is working very well till now :P

• @giang said: That defends on our luck. A friend of me got one and his VPS is working very well till now :P

Yes I have boxes with 123, and I can give them a 7.5/10, but still it has some crap support. (No support, just bots, lol)

• andrewandrew Member
    edited January 2012

If you can pay a little more -about $15- you can buy a vps from Ramhost (Tinyvz actually), they have positive reviews ;)

• Anything is possible, even at $10/y but you are almost scrapping the barrel for reliable suppliers at that price.
    Shared hosting sounds adequate for your needs and 'should' easily perform better than a budget vps.
    Do you have a preferred location for your requirements?

• Indeed, I would suggest a shared host. $10/year might not be too hard to find around the larger shared hosts'.

• @yowmamasita

If its not for profit I am happy to provide our Cloud VPS LEB package to you for $10 per year. Just PM me and I'll send you a promo code.

VPS would be unmanaged, I hope that's ok with you

• Nothing is for profit with me and nobody gives me cheap stuff u_u lol

• @yomero

It's your lucky day, pm me if you are in need of a UK XEN Cloud VPS. Can't offer any more though, Sorry

• @yowmamasita said: Can't make the price drop to $10 unless I use <100mb bw w/ 5mb storage https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/estimate

I get $10.03 with 1 static site, 30 MB storage & 850 MB traffic. 0 for everything else.

• @vmhosts since you can't offer any more 10$/year; what's the best you can offer ? I'm looking for budget UK VPS since I've got the boot from QualityServers !

• @vmhosts since you can't offer any more 10$/year; what's the best you can offer ? I'm looking for budget UK VPS since I've got the boot from QualityServers !

Sorry best price we can do is £4.40 per month. This does include full HA High Availability and Clustered storage. Mindful of high jacking this thread please PM me if you have any questions.

If @yomero or @yowmamasita would like to give you our offered $10 a year deal I am happy to honour this

Good luck with your search

• Thank you, but at this moment I don't need boxes in UK u_u If you want to give it to someone else...

• Not a vps but try 110mb.com ?

• @yomero said: Thank you, but at this moment I don't need boxes in UK u_u If you want to give it to someone else...

Very nice & sensible reply... :)

• @Boltersdriveer said: Indeed, I would suggest a shared host. $10/year might not be too hard to find around the larger shared hosts'.

Agree for the shared hosting suggestion, shared offers:
    1) you get cPanel for FREE
    2) Almost all companies offers a free off site backups (though, like everywhere else, they're not always honest in that)
    3) The actual server is fully managed by the company itself, no headache your side. Also dealing with datacenter/server provider is their responsibility.

So when you are down in requirements near to shared hosting, you can consider what more you get out of shared hosting. If I don't have god knowledge to manage my server, being short in time, and need hosting for a simple and static website, I would start with a cheap shared hosting with good resource allocation. You can actually find a lot of offers at WHT, some for $1-2/m, and I would keep backups of my files in case I needed to upgrade/migrate to VPS (if I get unsustainable number of visitors which is unlikely).

• I found some offer on WHT $5 /yr webhosting

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1114578

Disk: 200MB
    Bandwidth: 2000MB
    Email Disk: 50MB Shared Space
    MySQL Databases: 15 DBs