Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CrazyDomains requiring my personal ID. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CrazyDomains requiring my personal ID.

2»

Comments

• PatrickPatrick Member

@ryancleary said: Does not wanting to be a victim of identity theft count as an "obvious reason"?

I'm sure they have there own secure way as they should to handle such data

• ryanclearyryancleary Member
    edited May 2013

@Patrick said: I'm sure they have there own secure way as they should to handle such data

Everyone says that, but they don't tend to be telling the truth

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Why they didn't ask on first signup but ask now?

• alexalex Member

@FtpIt_Radi said: Why they didn't ask on first signup but ask now?

my god and you are a provider?

• DerekDerek Member

I sent photocopies of my ID and ToS to various companies. Its really not that big of a deal, most will even let you fax it. Its for anti-fraud measures.

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

ryancleary said: I personally wouldn't give my ID to any domain/hosting/whatever company

You may not have a choice for much longer.

The new version of the Registrar Agreements are likely to enforce full validation of name, address, phone and email - so domain ordering will be something like ...

• You order online
    • To confirm the order you have reply to their email with a scan of your photo id - you've now provided ID and confirmed an email address
    • Then the registrar texts you a code that you have to enter on a validation page -
      you've now confirmed a working phone number and a general location

• Finally you're sent a copy of the T&C's by post, which you have to countersign and post back - And puzzle-part-3 is they now know your address.

At any time any Law Enforcement of Gov't aganet who wants any of that information, because they think you've been "naughty" they're entitled to have it just by asking.

Hello internet, goodbye civil rights ...