Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CrazyDomains requiring my personal ID.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CrazyDomains requiring my personal ID.

RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
edited May 2013 in General

They emailed me, saying my domain registration needs fraud check and asked for a photo ID. Should I give it or wait for my 1 pound to be returned?

Comments

• Is it important? Or a good domain?
    If yes, maybe you can try it. Last time they run a promotion, I bought a domain, and then they set it to pending, sent an email, and they asked a copy of my ID Card, so I sent them.

Next, everytime I need a domain, it's processed automatically.

Or, do you tried to register a domain in a location not match with your real location? Or maybe double user account?

• NoermanNoerman Member

CrazyDomains already have my personal ID, so as @ErawanArifNugroho suggest is to sent it if you really want the domain(s).

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2013

I had another account but I sold it to curtisg. The username I sold was djradi. I made a new one(this registration) with user djradivip. I think, I will just wait for a refund and go with NetworkSolutions.

I asked them, if my facebook account will satisfy them.

• @FtpIt_Radi you sold an account with your personal details to @curtisg? Y'know they could see this as fraud and block both accounts if they find out.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2013

@FtpIt_Radi said: I will just wait for a refund and go with NetworkSolutions.

lol

Provide ID to CrazyDomains and stick with it.

• t3stert3ster Member

If the details are correct, you can just send the ID to them.
    It is a quite normal thing by them as far as I read.

Next time just purchase at a good registrar like namecheap.

@eastonch, I changed them prior to giving him the account.

• smile93smile93 Member
    edited May 2013

But crazydomain is offering crazy price on domain name register and renewal that is really crazy price...

eg
    .info is only AUD 2 per year.

Yep I know. But calling me fraudster...

• IntcsIntcs Member

@FtpIt_Radi said: I asked them, if my facebook account will satisfy them.

Maybe you can ask for a phone call.

• ATHKATHK Member

Just send your ID .... OVH asked me to do so, if its going to a company email address what's the issue ? Black out things you don't want them to see ... Or send a bill (like I did) ....

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited May 2013

@FtpIt_Radi said: I asked them, if my facebook account will satisfy them.

Anyone can make a facebook account, that's no proof of identity.

If your account is legitimate you shouldn't have any problem with sending your ID.

@Intcs thanks for the idea.

• Why would anyone need an ID for a sub $1000 purchase? That's just dumb.

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited May 2013

@ryancleary

Fraud.

@FtpIt_Radi

I've never been asked for ID because of my location, I believe they're asking for ID because of your country. Same goes for @ErawanArifNugroho and @Noerman.

• ryanclearyryancleary Member
    edited May 2013

@Ishaq would you rather drive away the customer trying to buy a $5 domain and probably more afterwards, or possibly lose that $5?

I personally wouldn't give my ID to any domain/hosting/whatever company unless they could actually prove that my data is in fact safe (Wasn't in name.coms or monikers case. Oh, didn't even remember to mention Linode)

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@ryancleary They can lose much more if it is fraud.

Chargeback fees etc.

• @Fliphost Unless you are doing something VERY wrong with payment processing, the losses will still be very small. In the end one will probably lose more money by asking too many questions than from fraudulent purchases.

I'll probably get a refund and go with other guys.

• smile93smile93 Member

Last time, my first few orders, no question asked. Once I first ordered .asia domain, I think they ask for ID. I always use verified paypal account to pay.

• tommytommy Member

@FtpIt_Radi said: I'll probably get a refund and go with other guys.

refund for $2 ?? or you got cheaper ?? Didn't you own a 'company'? $2-$5 too much?

If they don't provide me service, why should they keep my money???

• Asking for your ID isn't "not providing you a service" it's them covering their ass.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited May 2013

Sounds like your ~18 and NOT wanting to provide ID for obvious reason

CrazyDomain is trusted and owned by Dreamscape Networks FZ-LLC who are also a RIPE member.

edited May 2013

No, I just don't want some company to have my details in full.
    If, I truly wanted to scam them, I would have chargebacked by now and left them with all fees, but I didn't.

• PatrickPatrick Member

@FtpIt_Radi said: No, I just don't want some company to have my details.

They already have your details if you signed up legitimately, what makes you think Network Solutions won't/will ask for ID as well?

• @Patrick said: Sounds like your ~18 and NOT wanting to provide ID for obvious reason

Does not wanting to be a victim of identity theft count as an "obvious reason"?

edited May 2013

@Patrick I already have a domain with NetworkSolutions. Just needed to call them because of a little problem and all was done right away. I will go with them.