Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostBill's latest Brain Fart... lol - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostBill's latest Brain Fart... lol

Comments

• @marcm said: My guess is that some of the code work is subcontracted to 3rd party developers.

Thats why support so bad

• marcmmarcm Member

@Noerman said: That explain the high cost.

@ftpit said: Thats why support so bad

@Noerman and @ftpit - That's a slippery slope guys, very dangerous. It's like letting strangers cook your food without you watching them all the time and then you eating it with your entire family and friends.

• @marcm said: @Noerman and @ftpit - That's a slippery slope guys, very dangerous. It's like letting strangers cook your food without you watching them all the time and then you eating it with your entire family and friends.

You mean like going to a restaurant?

• NoermanNoerman Member

@ShardHost said: You mean like going to a restaurant?

Shardhost, you are so true.

• marcmmarcm Member

@ShardHost - Yes, exactly, except that you don't eat out every day, while in HostBill's case if they use 3rd party coders they don't have an f-ing clue what goes in their software exactly...

• upfreakupfreak Member

@marcm any reason why you are so concerned about HostBill? If the developer wants to cripple/shoot his cashcow, let him?

• JacobHJacobH Member
    edited May 2013

@ftpit said: Thats why support so bad

Hmm well hopefully the price increase is made so it can be justified to hire some people to actually do support. I hope for them at least, that's what their doing. Increase the price, hire some people to do proper support so the price is justified.

I've never used HostBill nor been in contact with them, but the people who are using the system seems to be quite pleased with it, just that the support is lacking.

• Obviously LEB hosts aren't their target market....

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Which non LEB host in their right state of mind considering all this would buy that though?

• EpidriveEpidrive Member
    edited May 2013

Im starting to drawing a bit of a conclusion that they're doing these price hikes for them to be able to give out coupon discounts in the future. Everybody loves coupons!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@Infinity said: Which non LEB host in their right state of mind considering all this would buy that though?

Nobody should buy now before the things settle, I smell bankruptcy and that will mean really money thrown out of the window.
    Many ppl dont care about a grand but the work to migrate and stuff is much too important to be disregarded.

• Hostbill are advertising for PHP devs.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@marcm

@ShardHost - Yes, exactly, except that you don't eat out every day, while in HostBill's case if they use 3rd party coders they don't have an f-ing clue what goes in their software exactly...

Like renting a vps, instead of colo a dedi that you own yourself.

I don't understand why many here dislikes external services?

Bad experience?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@marcm said: I don't want to repeat what I have already said here: http://sqz.io/hbroad2perdition

Could you please stop unnecessarily sending every single URL you post through a poor Javascript-based URL shortener? If you absolutely need to redirect people, that's what HTTP 301 was invented for, and guess how many links will be permanently broken (even though the target still exists!) when you decide you no longer want to run sqz.io.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited May 2013

Have you seen ByteCP? It's $599 now. They previously were giving it away free with an unbranded HostBill license.

Also,

KBKP Software S.C. is self-funded, privately owned company based in Poland. We helped over 2000 companies around the globe from various industries build their brands on top of stable billing, automation, support and client management solution HostBill provides.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited May 2013

@peppr said: @marcm any reason why you are so concerned about HostBill? If the developer wants to cripple/shoot his cashcow, let him?

@peppr - HostBill isolated themselves from the world. The forums are tightly locked down, no way to contact them except if you're a customer and so on. It's not like I can't sleep over them, lol, however I'm just raising awareness because I would hate to see them go away.

@joepie91 said: Could you please stop unnecessarily sending every single URL you post through a poor Javascript-based URL shortener? If you absolutely need to redirect people, that's what HTTP 301 was invented for, and guess how many links will be permanently broken (even though the target still exists!) when you decide you no longer want to run sqz.io.

@joepie91 - I see that you're getting bored again. Your post doesn't have anything to do with the discussion at hand. If I wanted your opinion about what I am doing and how I am doing it, I would have asked for it, but I don't. Just because others "tolerate" your behavior around here and accept your bullshit doesn't mean that I have to. For someone who claims to have a well developed intellect, that is a hard worker with high moral standards, judging from the way you talk, you seem like a pretty well developed - all around - lazy moron.

@serverbear said: Obviously LEB hosts aren't their target market....

@serverbear - Considering that this forum and LowEndBox.com got started as someone's hobby and survived because it got turned into a business, I tend to look at it as a place for hobbyists and professionals alike to meet and share ideas. What I am getting at is that I don't think that anyone in the software or hardware business is targeting this market as their customer base. I don't have a problem with their owned license pricing, I am however trying to raise awareness about their recent behavior and lack of communication with the community. I would hate to see them go away on account of a few bad decisions.

• I'd hate to see them go away and watch my license evaporate.

• ztnhostingztnhosting Member
    edited May 2013

Wow. I got mine back when it was $199.95. I would never pay that much for a billing system. I had some bad experiences with WHMCS, and decided to switch since the $200 was reasonable and would pay off.

I was surprised to see that when they say "30 days tech support" they really mean "You have 30 days to talk to us, then you're cut off completely." I went to report a bug once after that 30 days and found that there was no way to do so.

Not sure what these guys are trying to do business plan wise, but I think they're going in the wrong direction. On a positive note, at least it's actively being worked on. Updates to the system every Friday. The bug fixes seem endless though..

edited May 2013

@marcm said: Your post doesn't have anything to do with the discussion at hand.

Would you prefer I create a new thread for it?

@marcm said: If I wanted your opinion about what I am doing and how I am doing it, I would have asked for it, but I don't.

Too bad; you're bothering others with your mediocre URL shortener (and yes, it is actually mediocre for aforementioned reasons). I choose to bother you by venting my annoyances with it. There are zero valid reasons to spam everything through your own (!) URL shortener, other than trying to promote it and get people to use it instead of the 13461346713246 better functioning URL shorteners on the internet.

As a bonus, even those wouldn't be necessary - this is a forum, not Twitter. It makes zero sense to use an URL shortener here, other than the aforementioned very questionable reason.

Oh, and if you don't wish to stop unnecessarily causing linkrot, then I'll gladly keep an eye on your posts and post the un-shortened URL whenever you post a shortened one. Just to prevent linkrot. Since you're apparently not interested in doing so.

EDIT: For the sake of completeness, the URL behind the shortened link in the OP is http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/10271/hostbill039s-pricing-history-current-pricing-bad-decissions-and-the-path-to-disaster-updated.

• marcmmarcm Member
    edited May 2013

@joepie91 TL;DR

• SpencerSpencer Member

@marcm
    That was very mature of you. Way to show your maturity!

• marcmmarcm Member

@Spencer - Really sorry, but there is no other way to stop this guys. He's doing this constantly and someone had to say it. Don't worry, others feel the same way, I was just the first one to come out and say it.

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited May 2013

@marcm said: @Spencer - Really sorry, but there is no other way to stop this guys. He's doing this constantly and someone had to say it. Don't worry, others feel the same way, I was just the first one to come out and say it.

Well then stop using your awful URL shortener. Nobody wants it, and nobody cares about it

• marcmmarcm Member

@Spencer - It's not awful and I didn't ask anyone to use it. But it's free, it's out there and for those that want to use it they can have their own accounts and see statistics and other information for the URLs that they shortened with it. Anyway, if you don't like it, don't use it, it's that simple.

• lbftlbft Member

@joepie91 said: As a bonus, even those wouldn't be necessary - this is a forum, not Twitter. It makes zero sense to use an URL shortener here, other than the aforementioned very questionable reason.

And that is precisely why I don't click any links around here forced through a shitty URL shortener. It makes me assume the poster is up to no good somehow, because there's no other reason to do it.

• SpencerSpencer Member

@lbft said: And that is precisely why I don't click any links around here forced through a shitty URL shortener. It makes me assume the poster is up to no good somehow, because there's no other reason to do it.

To be fair, when I was 12 like marcm I needed to write crappy stuff to make myself feel better about my poor coding ability

• So who wants to buy my HostBill license? $750? hehe :P

• marcmmarcm Member

@Spencer - Right, that's why I set up the service, to feel better. It's free for the community to use. You don't like it, don't use it. Point taken. I don't want to have this thread derailed any further please. Thank you.

• SpencerSpencer Member

@marcm said: Point taken. I don't want to have this thread derailed any further please.

Can you please remove your sqz.io link from the main post so I can click the link?

@marcm said: It's free for the community to use.

Just like all the 36461346773545 better URL shorteners that already exist and have a far more certain future than this one.

Or were you perhaps aiming at future interstitial ads? It already breaks when you use Ghostery or similar extensions.

This discussion has been closed.